Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

There is still some offset that is noticeable in the longer irons but it really has never bothered me. I can post side by side comparisons if you want - any irons in particular you would want to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding and a very generous offer.

A 4 or 5 iron comparison would be very much appreciated.

FWIW, VA, my / wife's home state and returning for retirement.

The one big noticeable difference is dispersion in comparison to my CB3's. Maybe it's a comfort level or something, but I am much more accurate with my CB3's. I don't know if it's the length or what not. I am struggling with knowing what to expect from the C200.

Hopefully they have all the new gear on hand and ready to demo. There's a whole lot of goodness coming out of Chicago this month.
Sounds like they won't have it in store, until around mid January. Patience will be tested.

Thanks for responding and a very generous offer.

A 4 or 5 iron comparison would be very much appreciated.

FWIW, VA, my / wife's home state and returning for retirement.

I can do the 5 iron for sure - I'll do the 4 if I can track down the G25 4 iron. Not sure if I still have it/ ever had it.

Come on back to VA and join an active THP community! Got three sets of C200s in VA already!

Durability pictures to supplement my earlier review. This is the set pitching wedge and has been used a lot. About 30 rounds and used in several long range sessions.

557c166effbe3f31f735a3f909a8ea43.jpg

64dce5c112326524d57e79ccc76e2008.jpg

997f4a997bae1125e288a96146196139.jpg

96cd2fbde9857fcea4116dbef98be9ac.jpg

And a little bonus - the top line at address(ish). The power holes aren't really the focal point for me, but you decide.

bbf600d7b00b5feee67e1235d8b6e0f9.jpg

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review

About Me:
Before I go into the details you are all waiting to set your eyes on, I’d like to tell you a little bit about myself, because The Hackers Paradise is full of golfers of all levels and I think it is important to know who you’re comparing yourself against.

I picked up my first set of golf clubs in 2008 on a whim. I haven’t put the clubs down since, and it has led me to regretting that I hadn’t started this sooner. I wanted to find a way to get more involved with the golf game without having to quit my day job (let’s face it, I’m not going to be making the big bucks golfing, so I’ll need to make sure I have some way to pay for my rounds of golf). I’m about a 12.5-13.5 handicap golfer. There are days where I’m puring from tee to green, and there are days I’m literally stuck between a rock and a hard place all day long. I am not a super long ball-hitter, like our friend Sgbani, who in a pre-Staff Proto round came within feet of knocking out our fellow THP’ers on the green on a par 4 – from his drive!

In this review I am doing a comparison of the new Wilson Staff C200 irons versus my TaylorMade RSi 1 irons. I think as golfers, we can hit new clubs all day long, but we need to compare them directly to what we currently have to be able to successfully identify what the pros and cons of switching will be! Ok, so enough about me, let us get to the fun stuff!

Information from Wilson Staff:
The Wilson Staff C200 irons push innovation to unforeseen limits. Designed for the crossover player seeking a midsize head shape and moderate offset, the C200 yields distances not available from traditional irons, while still offering best-in-class feel. At the core of its design is the proprietary FLX Face Technology, which minimizes the contact points between the body and the thin face. These minimized contact points - combined with a series of Power Holes around the entire perimeter of the face - maximize face flex upon impact, resulting in increased ball speed and distance. These Power Holes, or literal holes that surround the head completely and provide the space for the face to flex, are filled with TE031 Urethane to provide improved sound and outstanding feel.

Pic%201_zpszve3zisy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Specifications:

Ball used for testing: Wilson DUO Spin

Below are the standard stock/standard specifications of the Wilson Staff C200 irons:

Club456789PWGW
Loft2225283236404448
Lie Angle606161.5626363.56464.5
Shaft Length3938.53837.53736.53635.75

During my fitting, the team at Wilson Staff decided I was best fit with the Aldila Rogue Shaft in a Regular flex.

Pic%202%20Shaft_zpsnh3k5jza.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After all the specs were obtained and notes were taken it was decided that I remain with the standard loft, lie angle, and shaft length, but make the change from steel to graphite shafts.

Below are the stock/standards specifications on my TaylorMade RSi 1 irons:

Club456789PWAW
Loft202326.530.534.5394449.5
Lie Angle6161.7562.56363.56464.564.5
Shaft Length38.8838.2537.633736.53635.535.5

When I was fitted for these, my shaft length was shortened by .25” and my lie angle was flattened by 1 degree. The shaft of choice was the KBS Tour 90.

Appearance:
The first thing that immediately stuck out when we were first presented with these irons, were the Power Holes going around the entire club face. I am a tech and science junkie, so I was immediately intrigued. Visually, the Power Holes didn’t bother me at all, they actually help as an aid for lining up!
Pic%203%20Bottom_zpsnc1kj55j.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Pic%206%20Address%20Out_zpswecm7bfk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Pic%204%20toe_zpsouwgofyg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next was the back side of the club. What I like most about the back of the club is that it’s clean looking, but is filled with visual observations to really help you see the technology that was put into this club. The small details from the FLX Face logo to the Wilson Staff shield to the cool notches showing the Power Hole pass through points.

Pic%205%20Back_zpsq6thrjd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

View from Address:
Pic%206%20Address%20Out_zpswecm7bfk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Side by side 7-iron comparison (C200 on left RSi 1 on right):

Pic%207%20Address%20Comparison_zpseyhmk6l0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Pic%208%20Address%20Toe_zpsgw5oqhxv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overall, the club has a very visually appealing look. The chrome mirrored finish on the heel and toe separated by the dull satin-like finish on the face and most of the sole is very well-balanced. The durability of this material after many rounds and visits to the driving range is fantastic as well. I asked Duffy what I can do to help keep the clubs in mint condition, and he said to simply clean them between shots. I followed his orders and my clubs remain in great shape. A good cleaning in the sink and these bad boys look good as new!

Performance:
While in Chicago for the #StaffProto event, we were fortunate enough to get a round in with these irons. I had a hard time trying to gauge what distance was going to be, because that wind out there was brutal. It also didn’t help that I developed my yearly case of the dreaded “S” word we don’t speak of. I immediately knew that I had to get these out on a simulator to get some accurate numbers without worrying about the 25mph wind gusts throwing me off.

Below you will find shot comparisons of the Wilson Staff C200 irons versus the TaylorMade RSi 1 irons using the amazing (and my new absolute favorite) golf ball, Duo Spin by Wilson Staff.

4-iron comparison:
Pic%209%204%20iron%20stat_zpskyldqeup.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6-iron comparison:
Pic%2010%206%20iron%20stat_zpsg0borchm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7-iron comparison:
Pic%2011%207%20iron%20stat_zpsftod1yep.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8-iron comparison:
Pic%2012%208%20iron%20stat_zpskomc8hnh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PW comparison:
Pic%2013%20PW%20stat_zpst9dzhrpe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AW/GW comparison:
Pic%2014%20GW%20stat_zpsshdfocgy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overall performance of these clubs is fantastic! They soar high and carry nicely. When you hit a shot dead center you will know it. The sound the clubs make is very clean and crisp. The best performance characteristic is the FLX Face technology. FLX Face technology really allows you feel what it’s like to compress and launch off the club face. The clubs have workability but my skills aren’t there to do it on command repetitively.

Around the greens these clubs are great for chip and punch shots. Around the greens the ball will check and release nicely to the hole. Throw in the Wilson DUO Spin golf balls and you’ll make for a deadly combination around the greens.

Takeaway Thoughts:
After this thorough comparison, it’s tough for me to explain everything I experienced while seeing these numbers. On the higher end of the clubs (4, 6, and 7 irons), there is a difference of approximately 5+ yards in carry. On the lower end (8, PW, and AW/GW), I only saw about a 2 yard difference in carry. So, what now? Next, I started to look at the dispersion between the clubs.

On the lower end of clubs, the Wilson Staff C200 irons really shine! I translate that to MORE GREENS IN REGULATION, which leads to more pars and hopefully more birdies!! Who wouldn’t want to be able to brag about more GIR?

On the higher end, my current TaylorMade RSi 1’s showed more distance and a tighter dispersion. However, it wasn’t by much at all! The 10 yards difference on the 4 irons is a lot, but let’s face it, I rarely use my 4 iron so I consider those distances pretty even. With a 4-iron, I’d take either of those distances at my skill level. After seeing the numbers on the higher end, all that kept going through my mind was, “hmm…what if I had the KBS Tour 90 shafts Wilson Staff offered in the fitting? What would these numbers say then?!” These numbers really got me thinking, “Wilson Staff is 110% in the game and they are in it to win it with these C200 irons!”

Another takeaway with these C200 irons is the feeling you get when you smash one off the center of the club face. The feeling is truly amazing! The new FLX Face technology was a genius and game-changing development by the R&D team at Wilson Staff. When you pair these clubs up with the new Wilson DUO Spin golf balls, and you nail it in the center, you feel the golf ball compress and just explode off the club face. For me, when that happens, my confidence goes way up. And when confidence goes up, scores go down. The confidence the FLX Face technology gives me, is what is leading me to think I have to give these irons more time on the course. My playing time with these irons was short lived after the #StaffProto event because I purchased a new home and had to dedicate all of October-December to making it my own.

Ladies and Gentleman, if you are in the market for irons, there is no doubt in my mind you absolutely need to give these irons a run. Between the tighter dispersion of the lower end clubs, the confidence boost due to FLX Face technology, or the incredible distance gains others have experienced (like Sgbani and his ridiculous 145 yard GW). You will see an improvement in your game. The key to achieving this is getting a PROFESSIONAL to fit you to your clubs.

I walk away from this experience confused, but in a good way! It makes me feel like I may be starting next season with a mixed bag of clubs! I really don’t know what I will choose to do next season, but I will say this, if I speak with anyone in the market for clubs I will be sure to recommend that they include these Wilson Staff C200 irons in their testing, because Wilson Staff is out to make sure their name is heard, and with these irons they are surely going to succeed at that!

Last edited:
Some extra photos I didn't include in my review:
IMG_3651_zpswswkrfyx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3708_zpshtczyluj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3703_zpsuzafnc4y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3675_zpsbkqgmp46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3666_zpsdcpjvfso.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This was after a nice cleaning . Good shot to see sole durability too.

Do the C200 have increasing size and offset the further you get into the long irons?

Offset definitely. I just got home and held my 4i and GW side by side and the 4i is about 1/4" longer than the GW, so I guess you could call that progressive.

I haven't come across a full set of C100 to compare, but having the two 7 irons side by side convinced me that the 100s and 200s are likely the same sizes down the line.

Do the C200 have increasing size and offset the further you get into the long irons?

From Vrska:
Yes, both the size (blade length) and offset are progressive.

I hit Deuces today and have to say These feel OUTSTANDING launch the ball high and look pretty darn good from address

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hit Deuces today and have to say These feel OUTSTANDING launch the ball high and look pretty darn good from address

Yup. That sums it up.

Offset yes, size however is consistent through the set.

ETA: I'm wrong on the size. When you stand them up such that the face is at a right angle to a flat surface, the lower lofted irons are indeed smaller. My bad.

92111718d0f0ff04f00c709cf7df9afe.jpg

Top is PW, middle is 8i, bottom is 4i.

818f0e8d87901fe704203bc2e6f942ba.jpg

From left to right is PW, 8i, 4i.

Last edited:

Yeah, I heard that the FAA called after you hit Tom's and issued Dormie Club a verbal warning. That's just a rumor though.

Yeah, I heard that the FAA called after you hit Tom's and issued Dormie Club a verbal warning. That's just a rumor though.

He hit it a heck of a lot longer and higher than I can. #Jealous

These clubs do fly high. Watch out for whip lash!

These irons sound really good based on the excellent reviews by the guys in here. I seriously pondered C100's for a while, and these sound like a worthy successor for sure. The cut thru slots sounded weird to me at first, but they look a lot better in the in hand photos.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

These irons sound really good based on the excellent reviews by the guys in here. I seriously pondered C100's for a while, and these sound like a worthy successor for sure. The cut thru slots sounded weird to me at first, but they look a lot better in the in hand photos.

I cannot lie... I hated them at first. Thought they were goofy looking.. After one range session, I didn't even notice them.

They become virtually unnoticeable after a few swings. It's the feel on hits dead center that becomes noticeable. Really feel the face launching the ball. The feedback is a plus with these. You know when you smoke it and you know when you mishit. Mishit forgiveness is also strong with these.

They become virtually unnoticeable after a few swings. It's the feel on hits dead center that becomes noticeable. Really feel the face launching the ball. The feedback is a plus with these. You know when you smoke it and you know when you mishit. Mishit forgiveness is also strong with these.

How would you say they feel compared to the C100's? I liked a lot of things about the C100's, but the feel wasn't a standout (though it wasn't bad).

I can't answer that because I never had a chance to demo the C100s. Hopefully the other guys can chime in here!

Ball go high; Ball go far.

Wow. Loving the reviews so far.

On the off chance - if anyone has one of those #STAFFPROTO balls they would like to sell or trade for let me know.

Wow. Loving the reviews so far.

On the off chance - if anyone has one of those #STAFFPROTO balls they would like to sell or trade for let me know.

If you're looking for a single one as a keeper/memorabilia I can probably send ya one. I think I have a sleeve left where I can spare one.

How would you say they feel compared to the C100's? I liked a lot of things about the C100's, but the feel wasn't a standout (though it wasn't bad).

I think you get more feedback as compared to the C100. Comparing the two 7 irons side by side, if I had a mishit with the 100 I could tell it was off, but I had to check the face to be sure where the miss was. With the 200 I could tell just by feel.

Back