Favorite Thing(s) About Golf

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Title is pretty simple, what is your favorite thing about golf.

Mine has to be the time that I get to spend with my boys and my father. The ten years that I spent away from the game I probably saw my dad about 2 times a year. Which is pretty sad because we've always lived pretty close by each other and it's not like we didn't get along. I'd see him once in the spring for Morel Hunting and once around Christmas. That was about it. He's just not the type to keep in touch and with three young kids I was busy. I should have made more time, but I didn't.

Anyways, last year he got back in the game after agreeing to play a round with my boys and I. He hadn't played much for 10 years or so. He enjoyed it and has got back into it hardcore. He's NOT a club ho but has replaced every club in his bag which I really enjoyed helping him with (his stuff was 20+ years old). Since last summer I think I've seen him every week. Whether for a round in season or a range session on a Sim in the winter, we've played and practiced any chance we've got.

My boys. My oldest turned 15 today, I have a young 13 year old, and an almost 7 year old. All of them play to varying levels. This isn't the thread for me to brag them up, but I cherish all the good times we've had and will continue to have on the course. I can't think of a better day than having them, dad, and I out on the course. Yes this is technically a
5-some but my little fella only putts at this point.

That's it for me. From 70-100 I don't really care what my score is when I hit the course with them. It's as good of a day as I'll ever have and I get to have it dozens of times a year.

Ditto on the camaraderie aspect of it. There's just nothing else like it. In my case, my gf plays too so it gives me something in common with that we can do together. i know a lot of guys use it as an excuse to get away from their wives/kids lol, but for me i appreciate finally having something in common with my girl. I'm a lifelong basketball player, so I still have that as my alone time anyways lol.

The other aspect, and this was completely unrelated to what got me obsessed, but something that has me super excited about the coincidence of it--is the travel aspect of it. I travel a TON for work (well, around 100k/year, so maybe not a ton), and i utterly hate tourist stuff--museums, hiking, sights, etc, just all bores me. So before golf, my trips were just go to work destination, and then come back. Now with golf, I basically try to make these destination vacations/business trips, so i'll go somewhere before/after/during and play. I still am horrible (+36) but it's just so much fun having a reason to travel. One buddy lives in Seattle, so now i want to play Pebble. Another friend lives near Denver, so i'll be visiting them in a few weeks. Just a great excuse to travel and see friends.

Heck, my only wish was that more people I knew golfed (and the ones that do aren't anywhere close to as into it as i am). But I figure that will come eventually!

1. The friendly banter among friends.
2. That perfect shot that sails high and lands soft just liked you pictured it in your mind.

the peace, tranquility and serenity of a golf course. a close second would be the feeling of a well-executed shot.

Just a lovely fun day. The challenge and the reward - it's hard, so a good shot is its own reward.

Plus the whole hanging out thing too, I guess...

It’s a way for me to get some decent aerobic exercise and flexibility work in - while enjoying it! The social aspect is great too, but work makes it hard to get into a weekday league when you get home at 6:45 pm. My wife is also trying to learn/play, which will make it nice in the future. I grew up with golf-crazy parents who drove it down my throat. Now I play for fun and enjoy it more!

Hitting a great shot is Addicting. I also like being outside way better than just sitting around.

Player against the course.

Back