Golf and Smoking...

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious, have/do you play with guys that smoke. Not cigarettes. I’m in CA right now and this past Sunday, a group in front of us left all their “wares” on the tee and had to come back to get it. Pretty hilarious as the guys came back in their carts and had to explain what they were looking for.

Same guys came back one hole later to get one of their wedges left by the green. The guy says: “I’m two for two baby!” Lol....

So, was curious.... see this happen often? Do you care if people do it? Do you care if they do it while they play in your group?

I personally don’t mind it. Perhaps I should? I dunno. It doesn’t specifically bother me or impact my ability to play my game. I don’t smoke and to be honest, I’m not sure how guys pull it off and still make contact with the ball. For me, this is sort of in the same category as playing music in a cart. Again, I don’t normally play music myself, but I don’t mind if guys want to as long as it isn’t blasting.

Oddly though, I will say, as much as this perhaps makes no sense, I do hate it when guys smoke cigarettes in my cart. Especially if they don’t have the courtesy to ask me if I mind. I guess that is a weird sort of double standard for me.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious, have/do you play with guys that smoke. Not cigarettes. I’m in CA right now and this past Sunday, a group in front of us left all their “wares” on the tee and had to come back to get it. Pretty hilarious as the guys came back in their carts and had to explain what they were looking for.

Same guys came back one hole later to get one of their wedges left by the green. The guy says: “I’m two for two baby!” Lol....

So, was curious.... see this happen often? Do you care if people do it? Do you care if they do it while they play in your group?

I personally don’t mind it. Perhaps I should? I dunno. It doesn’t specifically bother me or impact my ability to play my game. I don’t smoke and to be honest, I’m not sure how guys pull it off and still make contact with the ball. For me, this is sort of in the same category as playing music in a cart. Again, I don’t normally play music myself, but I don’t mind if guys want to as long as it isn’t blasting.

Oddly though, I will say, as much as this perhaps makes no sense, I do hate it when guys smoke cigarettes in my cart. Especially if they don’t have the courtesy to ask me if I mind. I guess that is a weird sort of double standard for me.

Thoughts?

I'm weirdly in the same boat. I walk the majority of my rounds, so if someone else in my group is smoking, I can usually keep my distance and it's fine. But if we're sharing the same cart, I feel like we're in closer proximity to each other for the majority of the round and that would bother me.

In the end, it's like drinking on the golf course: it's not my preference, but it's also not my place to tell someone not to do something. But if it becomes bothersome to me, I will speak up.

I don't mind, to each their own, but just don't get obnoxious with it or act all goofy. Also not around me ideally (esp is legit pot, I'm a licensed addictions counselor so don't want to even take a chance of me smelling like it)

Hell I have a few beers to loosen up occasionally, so a little CBD or something is equivalent I suppose

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I mean if they're not doing it to a point where they slow up pace of play I guess I could care less. Same with cigarette or cigars - as long as I don't have to smell it, it usually doesn't bother me.

I'm lost here. Is the issue that they were smoking pot, they were slowing the pace, or they were stinkin' up the course?

Pot should be legal.

If they're playing at a decent pace, then it's a non-issue.

If they are stinkin' the place up, that's a no go. Get your arse down wind if you wanna stick up the place.

I don't want to be around it personally. You should be able to play a round of golf without it and have your smoke at the end of the round.
I know guys and gals who smoke cigarettes and cigars on the course, just don't leave your butts on the greens!!! Irritates the hell out of me when people do that.

I smoke when I golf (cigars and cigarettes), I’ll always ask and make sure I’m not bugging my cart mate or playing partners. I usually find the best place that’s downwind and blow smoke that way to not affect any of my playing partners.

I enjoy cigars when I play but always ask my cart partner of they mind. I try my best to keep smoke from playing partners but it is smoke and blows regardless of my intentions and I don't want to bother others.

I'm lost here. Is the issue that they were smoking pot, they were slowing the pace, or they were stinkin' up the course?

Pot should be legal.

If they're playing at a decent pace, then it's a non-issue.

If they are stinkin' the place up, that's a no go. Get your arse down wind if you wanna stick up the place.

To clarify, I just mentioned the guys in the group in front only because it recently happened. Had zero impact on my playing group or myself. It just got me thinking about it in general terms.
I guess this topic can cover all sorts of things like music in carts, cigars, cigarettes, pot, alcohol, etc..

It Is always a challenge to not offend people with cigar smoke, I also ask and try to keep it downwind or ride with another smoker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's not about being "offended". It's a health concern and the stench stays with you forever if it gets on you. In your hair, on your clothes, etc.

I smoke but if I am playing with someone who is non smoker, I usually smoke while walking tow the ball or try smoke where it doesn’t reach them. I just grab few clubs and tell him I meet him at green.
I don’t smoke in the cart when i am riding with non smoker.
I guess it’s just simple courtesy and you try as much as possible not to bother other player in group.
I hate people throw the butts on green or on fringe.

eh, do what you want to do as long as it's disrupting people while they're playing and it doesn't damage or trash up the course. pot, cigarettes, cigars, vape, i don't care.

I'm weirdly in the same boat. I walk the majority of my rounds, so if someone else in my group is smoking, I can usually keep my distance and it's fine. But if we're sharing the same cart, I feel like we're in closer proximity to each other for the majority of the round and that would bother me.

In the end, it's like drinking on the golf course: it's not my preference, but it's also not my place to tell someone not to do something. But if it becomes bothersome to me, I will speak up.

I agree with you.

Some of my friends do it and it’s usually not a bother - i do have to tell them to cut it out sometimes though

doesn't bother me as long as you're not acting a fool and keeping pace!

Smoke all you want, doesn't bother me. I play with people who smoke cigars, or chain smoke cigarettes, or flat out just smoke joints and blunts.

I don't partake at all during golf, except a cigar once with Al at The Hideaway.

The chain smoking cigarette guys are the funny ones though. Sometimes they hit driver with the cig still in their mouth, or they put it down next to the ball and then pick it back up, drop it on the green, putt, then pick it back up to continue smoking.

Why is this in the equipment area ?

Smoke all you want, doesn't bother me. I play with people who smoke cigars, or chain smoke cigarettes, or flat out just smoke joints and blunts.

I don't partake at all during golf, except a cigar once with Al at The Hideaway.

The chain smoking cigarette guys are the funny ones though. Sometimes they hit driver with the cig still in their mouth, or they put it down next to the ball and then pick it back up, drop it on the green, putt, then pick it back up to continue smoking.

I played against a guy in our CC once and we had to ride together...he was pounding huge cups of coffee and chain smoking the entire time. Thankfully I couldn’t smell his breathe.

It doesn't bother me. I just moved from California after 2 decades there and I only saw a pot smoker on the course about once a year(80-100 rounds per year). Maybe it's because I play most of my golf at private course or upscale public tracks. The private country club member isn't exactly part of the demographic for a typical pot smoker.

Back