Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

So, yes, there has been some delay in here and that's on me totally but things have been a wee bit busy in my world the last couple of weeks. That said, I have been hitting these a ton to this point and yesterday really concluded my data collection portion and will be writing up the review (including some Q&A with Mr. Vrska) today and tomorrow.

Some thoughts though from all this.

• Much more playable than the M3's IMO, which sort of surprised me given the profile similarities (and differences like less offset, thinner topline, etc) but the sole tech in play here really does work.
  • Paired with the DG XP95's the launch is high throughout the set, the more time I got with the set the more that showed through. Seeing about 31 yards peak with the 5i which is impressive IMO as most really struggle to elevate longer irons. That said, they get even higher into the wedges for me which can show diminishing returns but that is PURELY a fitting thing IMO. Overall they get the ball up, thats big for a set of this type.
  • Sound/feel is perfect. 1000% improvement from the M3 as the click is gone and there is a real sensation of "plush" at impact with these, still a solid undertone that so many expect from a forged head, but a nice lower decibel range. Misses offer plenty of feedback still and DO get higher pitched when you get bottom-groove...y... or into the heel side.
  • Not a distance iron. Spin though also wasn't super low for me like with the distance irons which will play into the height seen on shots and at the same time the distance returned. Played off of a 158 average on the 8i which is about 7 or so yards off my "gamer" 8i. Nice thing though is they hold greens nicely thanks to the peak height and descent angle, I can really make the mid to short irons dance when throwing the ball at pins.
  • Finish is stellar. Wilson really killed it with this satin finish, its held up amazingly well. They are forged so they will show chatter, but over a LOT of golf its nothing significant so far.
  • While I know the tech packed in a soon coming release from W/S is going to get a lot of the buzz/looks (as it should) for their iron lines, these are one that really should get looks from people who prefer that "tweener" players/game-improvement category. Solid retention, good swings rewarded and bad swings punished but in a really playable manner/range.

Again, sorry for the quiet in here, but if you have ANY questions please feel free to post them up and I'll answer ASAP.

That is some great info James. Worth the wait IMO.

As much as I need help with distance, I really want to be fit into these more than the proto iron. Hoping that a graphite shaft will get me to the distance I need.

These are some gorgeous clubs and based on Jman's bullet points, probably feel amazing to play. That being said, I'm more leaning to the Protos based on my own swing and help that I need. But I wouldn't hesitate to give these a serious look once my swing starts coming into form.

I'll say this, and get pics tomorrow. They're longer heel to toe than the CF16 and the soles are about the same width. Topline is a touch thinner though.

I thoroughly enjoyed the M3's while I gamed them this summer. If these are an improvement over those then it's a win for W/S. Good thoughts there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They made a bit of a mistake on the website last night and had these listed along with the #proto irons (neither are up any longer). Wilson placed them in the "Control" category. Do you think they're more of a "control" iron, as compared to "feel"?

They made a bit of a mistake on the website last night and had these listed along with the #proto irons (neither are up any longer). Wilson placed them in the "Control" category. Do you think they're more of a "control" iron, as compared to "feel"?

They're like the M3 in that they're considered a blend/tweener of their Feel and Control categories.

These are some gorgeous clubs and based on Jman's bullet points, probably feel amazing to play. That being said, I'm more leaning to the Protos based on my own swing and help that I need. But I wouldn't hesitate to give these a serious look once my swing starts coming into form.

I think you could start looking at them now. There's a lot more help there than it would seem at first glance.

I think you could start looking at them now. There's a lot more help there than it would seem at first glance.

The forgiveness is pretty apparent from Jman's comments, if they were comparable to my D100s in a more compact package, that'd definitely be intriguing to me.

I'll be honest though, I don't mind the thicker toplines on a lot of SGI irons and I'm not a long hitter which is what has me leaning towards the C200s.

They're like the M3 in that they're considered a blend/tweener of their Feel and Control categories.

Would you put these in the same category as the i series? Or something like the Vapor Pro Combos? Just trying to get a gauge for where these sit, and know you've played those two pretty extensively.

The forgiveness is pretty apparent from Jman's comments, if they were comparable to my D100s in a more compact package, that'd definitely be intriguing to me.

I'll be honest though, I don't mind the thicker toplines on a lot of SGI irons and I'm not a long hitter which is what has me leaning towards the C200s.
I've hit the F5's and the #Protos. The F5's performed better than I would have expected, given my handicap ;) With that said, I'm more than happy with the #proto's and plan to stick with them. The F5's sure are pretty though and with the Aldila proto graphite shaft ... wow, that's a set that would be hard to beat. W/S is going to force a lot of people to make difficult choices this year ... their gear is just that good.

Dammit Deuce now I've got more to ponder!!!!

Dammit Deuce now I've got more to ponder!!!!
No you don't. . I think you're on the right track if you like feel, forgiveness and distance. The ultimate clubs.

Vrska mentioned these were on the better player side of the crossover category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want in the Wilson event bad. And I want to be able to play these. #wishfulthinking

The review will go up soon for all to read, but I'm just going to say that these really deserve to be looked at by people pretty hard. The Speed-Sole works, and they are incredibly playable.

The stock setup isn't the best for me personally, but the performance of the irons was all there compared to claims.

I'll say this, I enjoyed them enough that the KBS Tour FLTD shafts we now have in for review are being installed into these heads.

The review will go up soon for all to read, but I'm just going to say that these really deserve to be looked at by people pretty hard. The Speed-Sole works, and they are incredibly playable.

The stock setup isn't the best for me personally, but the performance of the irons was all there compared to claims.

I'll say this, I enjoyed them enough that the KBS Tour FLTD shafts we now have in for review are being installed into these heads.
intrigued... wonder how these would go with the Tour 90 shafts in my legacy M3 irons. I love the looks of these

intrigued... wonder how these would go with the Tour 90 shafts in my legacy M3 irons. I love the looks of these

They are a SIGNIFICANT performance and feel jump on the M3's. I was a big fan of those irons when I reviewed them, these though truly are better.

They are a SIGNIFICANT performance and feel jump on the M3's. I was a big fan of those irons when I reviewed them, these though truly are better.
well that won't save me any money at all... haha

How's that sound and feel on thin shots? It was an audible and distinctive sound with the M3's

How's that sound and feel on thin shots? It was an audible and distinctive sound with the M3's

VASTLY improved sound/feel in all areas with these. All sharpness in the tone is gone. Can still ID misses, but they sound much more toned/dense which makes them feel really really nice at impact.

Love the look of these. Looking forward to the review.

Like that it is the tweener for feel and control.

What kind of grip is the stock wilson grip?

Love the look of these. Looking forward to the review.

Like that it is the tweener for feel and control.

What kind of grip is the stock wilson grip?

Tour Velvet

It appears I may have an answer to the "What club will you change?" thread...

It appears I may have an answer to the "What club will you change?" thread...

I think you would be making a fine choice!

Back