Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I need a driving iron.

Handicap
    +0.7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    ... I have played many of them including Srixon U45, Adams DHY, Wilson FG Tour, Exotics Tungsten Pro, TaylorMade UDi, Mizuno Fli Hi, Cobra King Utility and Exotics CBX Iron Wood.

The Cobra King Utility is the most versatile. I think it is definitely the best all around DI if you want to play it from the fairway and it is long off the tee. The Wilson FG Tour is a close second in this regard.

The Exotics are the longest by a few yards. I am just not a fan of the look at address of ether. Marginal but playable from the fairway with the exception of the *17 CBX-IW with the HZRDUS Black shaft that produces a very low trajectory but ideal for links style courses with hard fast fairway.

The UDi is almost as long as the Exotics and depending on loft they are playable from the fairway. Probably my favorite when all things are considered including look at address, playability from tee and fairway, and forgiveness. I have played the 3, 4 and 5.

If you can get past the looks of the DHY, it is also a very versatile performer and silly cheap if you can find one.

The U45 and Fli Hi are both just very good, solid performers across the board but I prefer all of the above as they each do something better than these two.
    Last edited by Chisag; 09-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    F8 ... Even Flow Black 65s
    F8 15* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    19* UDi ... HZRDUS Black 85 Hys
    4-pw P790 Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Newport Select 2.5 at 33"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chisag For This Useful Post:

#Cookie (09-14-2018), Boder (09-14-2018), Lurp06x (09-14-2018)

Handicap
    17.3 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_UK View Post
    So, I am pretty accurate with my driver. However, my home course now has a links style back 9. If you miss the fairway, your screwed. This back 9 has already got in my head, so Iím leaving the driver in the bag for the majority of the holes for something more accurate. My hybrid I tend to leak right. So Iím hitting a 5 iron off the tee at the minute. Iím looking for something that will give me another 30 or 40 yards with the accuracy of my iron. If I wasnít playing this course every week, this wouldnít even be a discussion for me.

Not too long (thatís something Iíll never suffer from). Just not accurate enough on this back 9.

#FiberLaunch
    Thank you Mark. I am always looking at different avenues of course management. Please keep us posted on what you decide, would like to know how it turns out for you.
    Driver - GBB 9.5 or Knuth High Heat 12*
    FW - Heavenwood
    Hybrid's - M2 3H & 4H
    Irons -
    M2 5-LW
    Sand Wedge -
    Tour Preferred
    Putter - White Hot RX V-Line Fang

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/tucsoncacti

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tucsoncacti For This Useful Post:

Mark_UK (09-14-2018)

Mini Tour Player
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    I just picked up the new Taylormade GAPR MID in 4 and 5, I really like these clubs. I think the GAPR Mid 3 or the Low 2 or 3 would make great driving irons. Never been a real Hybrid fan and I was not sure about these but as soon as I hit one I was sold.
    In my Sun Mountain C130 Stand Bag
    Epic 10.5* GD AD IZ 5 S
    Rogue Heaven wood GD AD DI 6
    GAPR Mid #4 & 5
    P790 6-AW Nippon Modus 105
    High Toe 54*, 58*
    Spider Tour Red
    Snell MTB Black

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bstubbs42 For This Useful Post:

c.a.eleric (09-14-2018), Mark_UK (09-14-2018)

Handicap
    +2.3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ive tried many of these and without a doubt, for me the best one is the Epon 903. I put it in my Mitchell bending machine and can make it whatever loft and lie I want. Distant second is the Srixon.