How much do brand names mean to you

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always liked playing unique clubs as long as they perform well. Prior to going on the ultimate fitting and getting my current set of Titleist clubs I was playing a full bag of Orka irons and wedges. (I often got comments asking if they were named after the whale). I still play the wedges, fairways, and a hybrid along with my Titleist irons. I haven't hit a wedge that is softer and I have a ton of confidence with them. In curious how many others are playing lesser known clubs??
ba9a34036286891206354ce2f3db55b3.jpg
42cce6628191995c04008e6f346ab2d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's all about performance to me. When I go in for a fitting, I'll tell the fitter that I am completely brand agnostic. Show me the numbers. Having said that experience shows that some brands consistently make better clubs than others. Categorically this is especially evident when comparing the top brands against the knock-offs.

This is tough, I guess I am not into certain brand exclusively or anything, but there is a level of trust with the biggest brands that a new comer or smaller brand would have to overcome. I’m indifferent to Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Taylor-Made, Mizuno, and maybe Cobra, but other brands would have to do something to get me to trust them if that makes sense??

This is tough, I guess I am not into certain brand exclusively or anything, but there is a level of trust with the biggest brands that a new comer or smaller brand would have to overcome. I’m indifferent to Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Taylor-Made, Mizuno, and maybe Cobra, but other brands would have to do something to get me to trust them if that makes sense??

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I’m not married to any one brand, but I’m probably not going to go with a lesser known brand without extensive research and trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes complete sense to me. The marketing hype gets old but if a club fits my eye it makes me want to try it. I've seen how some of the smaller brands really cater to the golfer and the fit and that's how they build their reputation. That being said, there are some smaller brands that I've tried their product and have been disappointed!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only so far as playing something that you won't typically find in other bags. I've been partial to Wilson Staff since I had my Ci-9 irons and is among the first brands I seek out when looking for new gear.

I haven't gone out to buy no name clubs but when brands I gamed fell on hard times, Nickent, Adams, MacGregor I never felt any less of a golfer. In fact I kind of like blowing one past someone with an "inferior" product. I play a lot of Wilson now. Mainly because I am loyal to the brand from other sports. Maybe because its fun to have something different.

If the quality is great I would be tempted to try something off brand but my mainstays for golf have been UA, Nike and Callaway.

As long as it works for my game, it doesn't really matter the name. I can hit a bad shot with any club!!

I am partial to certain brands but am not opposed to branching out and trying other brands. THP has definitely helped me overcome some biases against certain brands.

Brand names don't mean much, but I will gravitate to OEM's that have served me well in the past. I am willing to try anything once to see if it performs.

As with most other things I do, I am brand agnostic, but quality centric. I want a product on the upper end of the scale, and that normally = name brands.

Each brand has a certain representation and personality to me. Performance is always paramount, but I feel like certain brands stand out in that regard. I'd be willing to try products from a no name, but they would have to have made a legitimate case for themselves and even then, price point could make or break my consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am not hung up on brands either way. Whatever performs the best for me.

I'm not brand loyal although I do like my AP3s which are making me interested in the TS woods. I do have a fascination with some JDM lines, especially the wedges, but the price on some of them are the blocker. I built a set of Maltby irons this summer for my oldest son and found them very agreeable to my game. Wouldn't have a problem playing them. If someone builds a better mousetrap I'd try it regardless of brand as long as it was somewhat ascetically pleasing to my eye.

I'm with you. I agree on all points. This is me as well.

Brand means nothing to me, all about performance.

In the past, I've played:

Toski
KZG
Bombtech
Fourteen
Snake Eyes
Goldwin
McHenry Metals
Maltby
Golfsmith
Wishon
Tour Edge (long before their being common)
Eidolon
Dogleg Right
Kasco

I'm sure there's lots more of the off the beaten path brands I've played... can't remember them all.

there’s something kind of fun about playing smaller name brands. but i certainly don’t shy away from the big boys, or somehow hold their production/sales numbers against them as a knock against their product.

I'll play whatever works, but I'll always gravitate toward something different as long as I don't sacrifice anything in the process. My first set of irons was made by Square Two, and I still carry Tour Edge and Nickent equipment because it performs. I'm especially intrigued by the New Level irons, but unfortunately I don't have anywhere local to test them.

Back