Golf Course Drone Delivery?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This might be coming to a course near you

What a gimmick!

That bag landing was really greased in for the cameras. When ordering up the food and drinks, tell them you'd like your soda not shakin'.

Unfortunately, would never work. You'd have so many food/drink orders, you'd never be able to keep up. You'd have to have 2-3 drones, and 2-3 drone operators. Suddenly you'd be wanting to go back to the cheap days of paying a cart girl to drive around the course all day.

Lucy lines up for fairway shot
*gust of wind*
Oh no! The drone’s dropped the drink!
*icy slushy drink falls to its doom, landing on her shoulder, spilling margarita all over her*
Lucy does her best Colonel Jack O’Neil impression and yells “In the middle of my backswing?!”

Seriously it’s super gimmicky. And we don’t even have cart girls here, just the rangers with ice and water. And even if there were cart girls, they’d be retirement age...

I doubt this is economically feasible, but I surely would try it. On my course, the cart person always seems to run out of everything by the time she gets to my group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh not a fan.

I prefer humans out there in the course. Besides, I'd be concerned about those things taking a errant tee shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My local muni doesn't even have drink carts I doubt that they will do drones. It is city owned and it's part of a Larger park.

Can't wait for the first drone to get taken out by an errant tee shot. That'd be an expensive shot.

In theory it sounds great, but I'd probably be a little freaked out playing golf with drones buzzing around.

Can't wait for the first drone to get taken out by an errant tee shot. That'd be an expensive shot.

In theory it sounds great, but I'd probably be a little freaked out playing golf with drones buzzing around.
They really wouldn't have to fly *that high* to avoid shots. Unless you believe all the internet golfers haha.

Don't see this working out, another way that play gets slowed up.

They really wouldn't have to fly *that high* to avoid shots. Unless you believe all the internet golfers haha.

True. I've been known to launch some balls at the other tee boxes (on accident of course)....I could just them hovering by someone's tee box and getting smoked.

Unlikely, but possible.

Don't see this working out, another way that play gets slowed up.

It would eliminate the guys that slow play down from hitting on the cart girl, however. :D

Drone delivery is a gimmick for sure. I’d rather see regular delivery based on GPS on the carts or something.

Or a rolling drone, that would make more sense I think.

I don't think this will work. Maybe down the line when tech improves.

Interesting idea, but seems like something we won't see feasibly for a few more years until they work out some automation on the deal.

Did see a handful of automated GPS lawn mowers, this is the really interesting item, because it would drastically cut down on the number of personnel it would take to maintain a course. Which could make courses come in budget more but i'm sure the investment in these machines is astronomical..

I'm not sure it would work long term unless you can somehow program the drone to GPS so it could automatically fly to it's destination and return to the clubhouse.

Good way to slow down the game as the people in front of you wait for the drone to land and they have to take their food out and then it has to fly away and then...!

If there be drones, I would prefer they tell me where my golf ball is.

I love the idea. There are 3 courses I play that the 9th hole is not by the clubhouse and they don't have any facilities at the turn. The technology is there to navigate and land a drone based on waypoints. I could see something like the 9th hole is the drone landing spot and your bag/cooler has a combo lock and here is the code. The course puts up a sign at 7 to log into an app to place your order to be delivered on 9. I see people saying cart person but it seems they are only around during non college months around me and I play year round.

I think this is a really cool idea, although someone smarter than me would have to figure out all the details.

I've always been annoyed by the traditional "snack stop" at the turn. I've always opined that these stops should be placed at common bottlenecks on the course instead.
At my home track there is almost always a wait on #8 due to the routing of holes so it sucks when you wait there, and then wait again on #10 because everyone is fumbling for their wallets and wolfing down a footlong dog. Putting the beverage shack near #8 tee would fix this.

Back