Anyone else annoyed by the Foot Golf, Fling Golf, and Disc Golf invasion??

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I've seen my local courses adopting Foot Golf, Fling Golf, and Disc Golf and it has caused some negative experiences on the course. For those that haven't seen these yet, here's a brief explanation of each:

Foot golf- played with a soccer ball and you keep kicking it until you get it into a roughly 18" diameter hole in the ground. Each kick counts as a 'stroke'.

Fling Golf- this involves a custom stick that resembles a small lacrosse stick but the head is completely out of plastic. Each time you throw it is a 'stroke' and once you are on the green you putt with the stick.

Disc golf- you use custom frisbees (discs) and instead of aiming for a hole in the ground you are trying to get it in a chain basket. Each throw is a stroke and there are tons of discs designed to fly differently and usually you carry a bag full.

The problem I'm seeing is that golf courses are starting to adopt some or all of these and overlaying them on the course. I'm not saying any of these are not fun to play (I grew up playing disc golf and still do), but when you overlay them on a golf course it creates problems. Whereas you have to have a tee time to play golf, they just send these groups out and work them in. A lot of them don't understand golf course etiquette. One course installed all 3. I asked the owner about it and they were sold on the idea that you can get more customers using the same land by adding easier to play games. The tee boxes have taken damage from both the foot golfers and fling golfers who wear cleats. We've had some less than fun incidents with youth who ignore anyone else on a hole and just decide to keep playing even if you are on the fairway. Recently we ran into some disc golfers who were driving up to groups while they were teeing off and talking loudly while smoking pot. When we asked them politely to quiet down while we were teeing off they laughed and told us we were being too serious. I understand wanting to make more profit but this is turning me off of the courses adopting these games. Has anyone else experienced this or am I becoming the old man yelling 'get off my lawn'?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Recently I've seen my local courses adopting Foot Golf, Fling Golf, and Disc Golf and it has caused some negative experiences on the course. For those that haven't seen these yet, here's a brief explanation of each:

Foot golf- played with a soccer ball and you keep kicking it until you get it into a roughly 18" diameter hole in the ground. Each kick counts as a 'stroke'.

Fling Golf- this involves a custom stick that resembles a small lacrosse stick but the head is completely out of plastic. Each time you throw it is a 'stroke' and once you are on the green you putt with the stick.

Disc golf- you use custom frisbees (discs) and instead of aiming for a hole in the ground you are trying to get it in a chain basket. Each throw is a stroke and there are tons of discs designed to fly differently and usually you carry a bag full.

The problem I'm seeing is that golf courses are starting to adopt some or all of these and overlaying them on the course. I'm not saying any of these are not fun to play (I grew up playing disc golf and still do), but when you overlay them on a golf course it creates problems. Whereas you have to have a tee time to play golf, they just send these groups out and work them in. A lot of them don't understand golf course etiquette. One course installed all 3. I asked the owner about it and they were sold on the idea that you can get more customers using the same land by adding easier to play games. The tee boxes have taken damage from both the foot golfers and fling golfers who wear cleats. We've had some less than fun incidents with youth who ignore anyone else on a hole and just decide to keep playing even if you are on the fairway. Recently we ran into some disc golfers who were driving up to groups while they were teeing off and talking loudly while smoking pot. When we asked them politely to quiet down while we were teeing off they laughed and told us we were being too serious. I understand wanting to make more profit but this is turning me off of the courses adopting these games. Has anyone else experienced this or am I becoming the old man yelling 'get off my lawn'?

You are becoming a crotchety old man :alien2:

But to your point I can see where problems/conflicts can arise, but by the same token the course has to be profitable in order for you to keep playing there. They should enforce the soft spikes rule for all players though.

There was a course in the area exploring these options, mainly the foot golf portion. They were trying to salvage any money that they could, they closed down shortly after their first attempt at a league for foot golf.

Luckily in this area there are a bunch of decent disc golf courses so we don't have any overlap, however I think there is going to have to be some give and take in order to keep places profitable. With that being said all of the disc courses here are free with the exception of 2 at the lake where you have to pay day use passes to access the park.

I wouldn't mind seeing some overlap with disc golf on courses, but the older crowd probably won't like it. I enjoy both sports and can see the benefit of sharing the space if it was a municipal course. Obviously the teeing areas and baskets would be in different spots but adopting the park aspect of a golf course like the brits do may help the game over here more.

That's my real question, are they actually making more money? Disc Golf in the area has good courses that are free. You only make a fraction of the money for these other games yet are turning off the golfers who pay the most. It seems like a hail Mary from struggling courses and I don't know that it will work.

It was interesting standing on the tee in proper attire and seeing a group of guys shirtless in soccer shorts on the fairway. It didn't seem right. John, maybe you are right.. but unfortunately it's not my lawn..

That play disc golf at the local CC, however the course is closed for the disc tourney and it only lasts for 2 days.

Everywhere I've ever played disc golf has been free, and in more park like settings. Playing disc golf in a park is much more realistic than having other people walking around an operational golf course. I just can't see disc golf being a profitable option at a golf course when there are other free venues to play.

My college campus installed a disc golf course while I was there. It was great, and a great use of the open spaces in our urban campus. There is no way you could ever have a golf course in the available space.

Tears up the tees for sure.

"Get off my lawn"

My course has AFGL foot golf on Sundays after 5PM, I'm long gone by noon. The tees are not set up on our tees and honestly we joke around when you hit a bad second shot and it goes near the large hole with a flag.

Love FootGolf. Doesn't bother me at all, gets people outside so who cares.

Here's a fluke shot of me sinking one for Eagle a few years ago...

I dont care that they are around, i hate that they are using golf courses to be played, Construct specific courses for these activities. I can see how a struggling course would embrace this to generate revenue though.

Love FootGolf. Doesn't bother me at all, gets people outside so who cares.

Here's a fluke shot of me sinking one for Eagle a few years ago...

Great shot! Maybe it's more the poor execution by the local golf courses. I wonder if they'll get better the longer they run but it send like a desperate shot at keeping the place open as it is now.

That's my real question, are they actually making more money? Disc Golf in the area has good courses that are free. You only make a fraction of the money for these other games yet are turning off the golfers who pay the most. It seems like a hail Mary from struggling courses and I don't know that it will work.

It was interesting standing on the tee in proper attire and seeing a group of guys shirtless in soccer shorts on the fairway. It didn't seem right. John, maybe you are right.. but unfortunately it's not my lawn..

I would probably play a few bucks to play on a nicer open course, but I think I'm in the minority there. Also I think if you are integrating it on the course, they should at least follow some basic dress code (t-shirt, shoes, etc.)

But hard to see it being profitable really

There is foot golf at some of the muni courses around here. They do not share the same tee boxes as the golfers and the foot golf course is only on one nine.

Back