Would it count? What are THPer's thoughts?

SwampDog35

Reaction score
Handicap
I am getting ready to play a 2-Man scramble this coming Friday and Sat. Both are unique in their own way. Friday's is only 9 holes, and Saturday's tournament is 18.

BOTH are going to be played with 8" cups. So what I have been wondering:

If you hit a hole in 1, Would it count?

There are 2 holes that are around 135 yards and I have a feeling that there will be some close if not Hole-in-ones.

Thoughts and maybe some Rules supporting either way.

eh why the hell not. People take the game too seriously already

That would almost be as much fun as hitting a beachball with a baseball bat. I don't know if it would count but it would be fun that's for sure. You know everyone's going to go for it. Play mind games with people and tell them "You got this" and watch them knock it over the green.

I say sure. You play the course the way its setup.

I saw a pro a year or two back saying that they should make golf more fun for the everyday player. he had some interesting ideas but one of them was 8 or 10 inch cups.

i don’t think i could count it for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still have to hit a great shot to get that close so I say sure why not! Count it!

I supposed it would. Just put a * next to it. You do still have to hit the shot and it has to be a good one.

Nope, not in my book. The size of the hole is kind of important. How many of us have had one roll just off the edge or just miss by an inch?

I would tell people I got a hole in one but give them the whole story. Basically a HIO with an asterisk. Although I'm not sure I'd want the bar tab from it!

Only if they give you the car for the hole-in -contest!!! Seriously, why not??

Definitely tell the story but include the asterisks. I could see getting a lot of **** from my playing buddies when I tell people I have hit a hole in one before.

I'd definitely be happy for doing it and tell the story but I wouldn't claim it as a HIO.

Side question, would you claim a HIO made on a mulligan in a scramble?

yeah why not. I'd tell the story all the time.

PS I've played a round with those larger cups, and man are they a blast. Have fun out there

Nope, not in my book. The size of the hole is kind of important. How many of us have had one roll just off the edge or just miss by an inch?

If the cup was 8" instead of 4 1/4" I would easily have 50 HIO's instead of the 2 that I have now.

It's not golf with a 8" cup anmore than it would be with a 24" cup.

Side question, would you claim a HIO made on a mulligan in a scramble?

Yes, definitely. You took one stroke, from the tee, and it went in the hole. And if it's a legit, allowed mulligan by the scramble rules, then technically it's still your first shot on that hole.

Similar situation, I take credit for my only career eagle in a scramble. Par 5, but all 3 shots we used were mine.

If you make it, I say you're buying a lot of drinks afterward. Count it and tell that story!

I'd count it, with an *. I'd tell the story all the time... with all the details.

Similar situation, I take credit for my only career eagle in a scramble. Par 5, but all 3 shots we used were mine.

The only way I'd count that is if all 3 shots that were used were mine (as you attest they were) AND I played my ball each time without touching it just as I would in a normal round of golf. That's just me though...

I have to agree. Scrambles are not really official golf. I say no to the HIO.

The only way I'd count that is if all 3 shots that were used were mine (as you attest they were) AND I played my ball each time without touching it just as I would in a normal round of golf. That's just me though...

Definitely didn't touch the ball after the 1st (it was in a fairway bunker). I can't recall for sure if I moved it a bit after the 2nd. But it wouldn't have made any significant difference in the shot. Holed a 7-iron from mid fairway about 165 yards out. The cup was set behind a ridge so we could only see the top of the flag. We spent a long time searching, assuming it had rolled off the back of the green.

Back