Did you ever quit golf, and then come back? Why?

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not by choice, had a job for a few years where it didn't really allow me time to play.

Played a bit through college and then quit in my early 20's when my entry level position didn't allow for much expendable income. Didn't pick it back up until about 2.5 years ago when I quit playing softball. Really wish I would have picked it back up sooner....

I've quit 3 or 4 times. Nothing to do with time or whatever, but simply I was terrible. When you're shooting 42 at a Par 3 course and 115s on the big courses what's the use? Tried finding different coaches and getting "anti-slice" drivers or whatever just wasting money on eBay getting clubs.

Why I kept coming back? Simple. Golf is a game I can play well into my 70s,80s, hopefully and perhaps even 90s. It's a life long challenge with this sport and even though at times the game can be brutal on the mind, it's always worth coming back.

I walked away from the game out of frustration at one point after I'd been playing 6-7 years. Layoff lasted about eight or nine weeks and then was I back at it.

I got away from the game for a number of years. It was a combined time thing along with playing softball several days a week. I returned to the game of golf heavy once I wound softball down.

No, I've never quit playing. I didn't play as much as I would like in college but I still managed to get out there occasionally. I've been benched for partial seasons due to injuries (some golf-related, some not), too. I don't really count that as "quitting the game" though.

I first took up the game in my early 20s and was hooked from the get go. Played a ton throughout my 20s and 30s. Then Super busy careers, kids activities etc became top priority and while I never quit completely I doubt I played more than 10 rounds combinded in my 40s and nearly all of my 50s. (Our 3 daughters were pretty spaced out so that timeframes lasted longer than it would for most) Came back full bore at 59 and am fully immersed in golf again the past few years.

I've had a couple years where my rounds went down to only about 15 because of a move and/or building a new house but I've played every year since 1977. I retired in May and we've had such a busy summer that I've only played about 12 rounds since Memorial Day. I will likely play at least 30 rounds in the next 50 days.

Kind of. A few years ago I got so frustrated by how bad I was playing and want having fun so I hung up my clubs, bought a boat and said I was going to take up fishing.

Well, I sucked at fishing and it was way too much work so we sold the boat. By that time I was really missing golf, came back and have been back in love with it ever since.

Stopped playing consistently after college because I didn't have the time with a job that had me working 5AM to 7PM (oil field is no fun). Started playing real earlier this year and walking as a means of getting some more movement into my week. Doctor told me to get moving and clean up my diet or I'd be on a bunch of scripts for blood pressure, etc.

Dropped 30+ pounds and brought all my numbers into line by watching what I eat and walking 36 a week. I have a very sedentary job at the moment so any movement helps.

A few times in fits of pique. But, I got nothing better to do, so I came back.

Was just too expensive when I lived in the DC area, and had to choose between motorbikes and golf. Racing won.

However I would like to point out I figured how to ride my Monster with 3-4 clubs down the back of my jacket when my car broke down and I only had my bike for transport

I quit about 12 years ago. It wasn't an active quit, I just began to play fewer and fewer rounds each year. The decline started with the birth of my triplets. I still golfed a bit for several years after they were born, then only about once a year until I finally just stopped playing. They're in college now and I've got a lot more time, so I decided to get back in the game this year. I've loved it. Took some lessons, joined a league (we won the league last night), bought some new gear, and have had a ball this year. Still hoping to get a couple more months in this year and take a few more lessons to start next year too.

Quit in 2004...I was 25-26. I had my first child about 6-8 months before, I was gigging (music) 12 nights a month, working a regular job. I didn't feel like I had time for golf despite loving it. I started playing when I was 13-14, got really good quickly. Played high school golf, redshirted at college, shot a 67 when I was 17. I had a head on collision with a drunk driver in 1999 which messed up my back and my flexibility permanently...I have pain every time I play. I played in leagues and southeastern amateur tournaments but my game had faded and my responsibilities had increased. Additionally, my dad and I had played a ton of golf together and he started having responsibilities that prevented him...playing with my dad was my favorite thing and I just lost interest.

Fast forward to 2016...I had made a few false starts trying to get back into the game by taking my kids to the driving range, etc but my son really showed an interest in 2016. I decided I wanted to play as a method of dealing with my mental health. I came to THP to research clubs, bought a set of Apex CF16 irons and won a Grandaddy contest about 3 months later. I was a 27.6 HCP when I got back in April of 2016...18 at the Grandaddy that December and I've been as low as a 6 since. I couldn't accept being a mediocre golfer at first but I really don't give a crap now. I have fun regardless. I don't have the body, flexibility or swing that I did as a younger man but I stay in the game due to the friends I've made locally, the friends I've made here and most importantly, the rounds I share with my 14 year old now.

I will play as long as I'm physically able...I have had foot surgeries, knee surgeries, shoulder surgery, etc in the past 15 year but I absolutely love getting to play with my son and love getting on the course for good conversation with people I've met via the game.

Yes quit for about 10 years. Back injury. Came back 6 years ago.
JM

No, I started the game really late in life so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I left for 20 years. Relocations, job demands, health issues got in the way. Started back a little over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I basically quit for about 8 years where I played maybe an outing once or twice a year. It was because I was playing competitive travel softball and it took up most of my time playing 5 days a week and most weekends as well. It was fun but wish I never gave up on golf

I quit for a few years in my early 20's. Too much other things going on at the time.

I quit golf back in the mid 2000s simply because I was young, broke and had too many hobbies at the time. Back in those days, I was into golf, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing, fishing, hunting and motocross. I ended up cutting out golf, XC skiing and motocross. When youre 25 years old, own a house and only make $14 an hour; you need to make choices.

Sure did. Started playing seriously in 2003. Played for 3 years and got fair, but I was tired of spending so much time at the game and it was frustrating to hit the ball good one day and not score, then whack it around and score good. It just got under my skin and I wanted to quit early in the year of 2007, but I had mucked up the last 2 club championships. I wanted to play until the one that year. I mean the first 9 of the 2005 and 2006 2 day tournament I'd shoot a 38 or 40 and effectively take myself out. I wasn't good enough to make up 4-6 shots.

I just wanted to be competitive once. I won the 2007 CC and promptly quit playing. Didn't pick up a club for 7 years then I was invited to play in a couple of company scrambles...........I played a couple more scrambles for a couple of years and just started playing regularly again this year.

Yep - started playing very casually with others in my football team until my oldest boy started playing football at which time I stopped, about 15 years ago. I managed their side for 8-9 years until he stopped, and by then my crowd had moved on, got kids of their own etc. so that never really took off again.

Fast forward to work about 3 years ago, a little knot of other lapsed or aspiring golfers (who lived close to each other) found ourselves working together and all saying how we used to play a bit, or how we'd like to start more regularly.

Some of the others on the desk were current and active golfers and they invited us on one of the regular golf weekends if we got back up to even semi-competent (for our own enjoyment of it, not for any ability ceiling).

So the rest of us dragged out the clubs and had a few filthy swipes around a local, less challenging course (4800 yards par 67), and for 5 out of 7 of us, that was it - the hook was in. Playing ever since.

I gave up the game for 6 months in 2002 due to frustration with my game. My plan was to never come back. Well that changed and I came back with a new love for the game.

I gave up golf for 6 yeara when my kids were were born. Just didn't have the time.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Back