Wedges : where to go from here

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Prior to bagging the CBX wedges late last year, shirt game had always been a bit of a mixed bag: some days I’d be on, others would be hozel rockets all over the place. Despite a blade like look at address, I think the forgiveness has really helped me.

Fast forward to this year and I’m really starting to find some consistency in my swing and confidence in the short game. And in true ho fashion, I’m eyeing more of a players style wedge, whether it’s RTX4, MD4, or Glide forged.

My question to those with more knowledge than me: where am I going to see he biggest differences between a CBX type wedge and a true blade wedge? Is this a horrible idea? Pros and cons? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior to bagging the CBX wedges late last year, shirt game had always been a bit of a mixed bag: some days I’d be on, others would be hozel rockets all over the place. Despite a blade like look at address, I think the forgiveness has really helped me.

Fast forward to this year and I’m really starting to find some consistency in my swing and confidence in the short game. And in true ho fashion, I’m eyeing more of a players style wedge, whether it’s RTX4, MD4, or Glide forged.

My question to those with more knowledge than me: where am I going to see he biggest differences between a CBX type wedge and a true blade wedge? Is this a horrible idea? Pros and cons? Any help would be much appreciated.

The RTX-4s are more forgiving than one would think. They are the real deal......

It is not a horrible idea. I played the RTX3 that I got from the Cleveland Shootout for almost 2 full years. None of them where the CB wedges and I got along fine with them. I play SM7's now and love them. If you are willing to put in just a small amount of time and practice with them you can master them pretty quickly. Will you still have some bad swings or a hosel rocket from time to time, YES. These are great wedges and either choice would be great.

It is not a horrible idea. I played the RTX3 that I got from the Cleveland Shootout for almost 2 full years. None of them where the CB wedges and I got along fine with them. I play SM7's now and love them. If you are willing to put in just a small amount of time and practice with them you can master them pretty quickly. Will you still have some bad swings or a hosel rocket from time to time, YES. These are great wedges and either choice would be great.

What would you say the major advantages of a blade wedge are? Are they something a midcap could realize?

I always feel that a muscle-back style wedge has more consistency. The heavier clubhead seems to swing and track better and not come off at weird angles as you swing and it cuts through the turf.

I guess that’s an advantage to that particular style of wedge.

What would you say the major advantages of a blade wedge are? Are they something a midcap could realize?

For me, and this is just my opinion. I didn't like the feel of the CB wedge in the RTX3. By that I am saying "feedback" thru the clubhead. With you playing AP2's you would have no problem with blade style wedges and is probably something you could/would be very comfortable with. It might be something you schedule a lesson for if you get them. A fitting would be best.
I got one and tried it to see how it would play, then purchased the other 2. Best choice I have made.
I think it is all about feel and feedback with a wedge. Forgiveness is important but you are probably not hitting these from 150y either.

I would say the workability of a bladed wedge is the biggest advantage. Being able to flight a wedge into a green is something that can be a big advantage when playing in the wind or if a low spinner into a green is just the shot you need to hit.

Compared to the CBX? The size/mass relationship and the different available sole shapes. I have 58* in both CBX and Vokey (D grind). The Vokey head encompasses a smaller overall volume than the CBX but weighs out a point higher in swing weight. This enables it to get though rough much more effectively. One of my few gripes with the CBX was that I felt I had to give shots out of the rough a little something extra to get the ball up and out. With the Vokey I feel like I can just let the clubhead drop and do all the dirty work. The D grind of the Vokey also allows me to lay the face open more effectively, as well as pick the heel up off the ground when I want to just use the toe (useful from hardpan type lies or if you're in a divot.)

I think forgiveness in wedges is even more important and helpful than iron set forgiveness.
A cavity back wedge may mean less distance loss from an 80 yard wedge shot that may mean the ball ends up 15 feet from the hole instead of 35 feet from the hole.
An extra wide wedge sole helps a green side chip shot elevate and stop 8 feet from the hole instead of a thin sole wedge producing a skinny shot that runs 20 feet by the hole.
I am not sure why many players embrace forgiving drivers, forgiving iron designs, but then play blade style wedges. For shooting lower scores a forgiving wedge will likely help more than driver or iron set forgiveness.

Compared to the CBX? The size/mass relationship and the different available sole shapes. I have 58* in both CBX and Vokey (D grind). The Vokey head encompasses a smaller overall volume than the CBX but weighs out a point higher in swing weight. This enables it to get though rough much more effectively. One of my few gripes with the CBX was that I felt I had to give shots out of the rough a little something extra to get the ball up and out. With the Vokey I feel like I can just let the clubhead drop and do all the dirty work. The D grind of the Vokey also allows me to lay the face open more effectively, as well as pick the heel up off the ground when I want to just use the toe (useful from hardpan type lies or if you're in a divot.)

It’s funny that you meant You mention giving it something extra out of the rough. Last night I came up short from the rough with my gap after feeling of made perfect contact...interesting point

I struggle with all of the cavity wedges and even the gap set wedges in the players distance profiles. They throw the ball too high in the air and I lose 10 yards that I have when I flight a more traditional wedge. I tried the CBX wedges and they didn’t work for me at all.

If you are wanting to go to a more traditional wedge, you might consider one that is a little larger, so it doesn’t scare you looking down at it. The MD4s fit that bill. I also would suggest you try a grind with a little more bounce to begin with. Just a couple of suggestions...

I've not played the CBX wedges but have seen them and have a buddy who is having great success with them. I think they are a pretty darned good compromise wedge, just short of going full-out to something like the Vokey style super compact "players wedge" head size. So I'd say if you want a small-headed blade style wedge, give it a try. But I wouldn't recommend making a lateral move to some other large-head wedge instead of the CBX. For that type of wedge the CBX is great.

it depends on what you are trying to accomplish by switching. I will say, it's known I'm a callaway guy through out the bag. Having said that, the cleveland RTX line and TM milled are excellent options for going from CBX to more players style wedges. The weighting is great and the grinds are perfect for those that choose to full swing and not really open the wedge face much. If you plan on opening the wedge face more or going with less than full swing on shots, RTX4 low bounce and MD4 C/X grinds are great in higher lofts with touch/feel on most pitches and chips. Either way, if you are trying to progress into more 3/4,1/2 shots then a players style wedge can offer a lot of help with becoming comfortable with that. But that's just my experience

I struggle with all of the cavity wedges and even the gap set wedges in the players distance profiles. They throw the ball too high in the air and I lose 10 yards that I have when I flight a more traditional wedge. I tried the CBX wedges and they didn’t work for me at all.

If you are wanting to go to a more traditional wedge, you might consider one that is a little larger, so it doesn’t scare you looking down at it. The MD4s fit that bill. I also would suggest you try a grind with a little more bounce to begin with. Just a couple of suggestions...

It's true that the forgiving cavity back high loft wedges do flight the ball higher, and carry shorter distances, than a blade style lofted wedge. My solution to that is play more club. For example, instead of swinging a 58* from 90 yards swing a 54*.

I had a Vokey and any small misshits got terribly exaggerated. I went to Ping Gorge, and then Glide (not the new forged) and have had some great results from some bad misshits.
They look sleek enough for me but help me out when I need it, Vokey used to just beat me up on a bad one.

Lots of good feedback in here. I appreciate since I'm making the same transition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Something else to consider: When you have a wedge in your hand, you have to be able to look down on it and have confidence in it, that is will let you hit the shot you want. (Yes a good swing is required) but if you think "wow this wedge is huge or wow its tiny" then you won't play well with it.
Like I said, I have the SM7's in the Brushed Steel and they look amazing!!! They also give me confidence too.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’m striking the ball well enough that I think I can make the transition and from what you all are saying, i feel like it’s worth a shot and may fit in my setup nicely

One other thing I'll add: I look at my wedges in terms of what the breakdown is between full shots and less-than-full shots. If I'm hitting more full shots, then I'm going for a club that is more iron-like, if that makes sense. When I'm hitting more shots with my wedges around the greens as compared to full shots, then I'm going with the specialty wedges. That's why even as a single digit handicap, I've still stuck with the set PW and GW for years instead of going to a specialty wedge in those spots. 54 and 58 are Vokey wedges, and I'm even thinking about tossing a Hi-Toe 58 in there instead of the Vokey because of the versatility around the greens. I think that having less specialty wedges makes decisions around the green simpler. If you are thinking of switching away from the CBX, then I'd go with the AP2 PW and GW and then whatever specialty wedge fits your eye the best.

One area that is often overlooked in the CBX with all of the perimeter weighting is the size of the sole. If you are a player that misses here or there, especially thin or heavy, the sole is your friend. Switching to something more versatile can offer just that, versatility, but there are going to be trade offs.

One area that is often overlooked in the CBX with all of the perimeter weighting is the size of the sole. If you are a player that misses here or there, especially thin or heavy, the sole is your friend. Switching to something more versatile can offer just that, versatility, but there are going to be trade offs.

Totally. I think some trial and error will come into play.

What do you think you are missing?
Thats the part thats not outlined.

I guess I don’t know? I feel like maybe some spin into greens and some stopping power? Possibly better feel and touch?

I’m compelled by the looks of the blade wedges but I don’t know if their versatility would be lost on me or not.

I guess I don’t know? I feel like maybe some spin into greens and some stopping power? Possibly better feel and touch?

I’m compelled by the looks of the blade wedges but I don’t know if their versatility would be lost on me or not.

I get it, if you just want something new. They dont lack spin though.

I get it, if you just want something new. They dont lack spin though.

I think I was just looking to see if there are compelling reasons for me to go to a non cb wedge. I love the CBX and they do pretty much what I tell them to do. I am intrigued to try a bladed style wedge now that my swing is where I want it to be and see if I can benefit.

Back