Par 3 HIO, or Par 5 Albatross

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a hole in one. I just missed the Albatross a couple weeks ago by less than 18 inches.

Which would you like to have the most?

hio, no doubt. been close on both, but have neither.

HIO for sure

The albatross is a higher degree of skill and even more elite company, plus it's 2 shots. Give me the albatross and I'd be happy without a HIO.

I think I would have to go with a hole in one

The albatross is a higher degree of skill and even more elite company, plus it's 2 shots. Give me the albatross and I'd be happy without a HIO.

Technically, it could be 1 shot if you manage it on a driveable par 4

The HIO just has the mystique to it... it's perfection, and everyone knows what it is and it is greatly celebrated... talk to people outside of the golf community and I'm not sure they can tell you what an albatross is... (even though it is arguably more difficult to achieve)

I think I would have to go with a hole in one

Technically, it could be 1 shot if you manage it on a driveable par 4
OP says par 5 albatross, so that's what I went off of. I've, ironically, been closer to a par 4 albatross (3 feet) than a par 5 version.

HIO, always.

I agree, two great shots back to back.
Plus I already have HIO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough question.

Probably would have to be the Hole-In-One. Regular people ask "Have you ever had a HIO?" Not "Have you ever had an Albatross?"

Have had both but neither with a witness so I don't boast about them. Felt more excitement with the HIO. That could also stem from the fact that the albatross came on the par 5 6th hole of a course and a gentlemen was playing with me for the first 5 holes decided to call it a day after 5 (he had a house on the par 3 5th hole) so I was that close to having a witness for that one and felt a little letdown due to that.

I got my hole in one back in 2005 but never had an albatross. I did come close many times back then when I was playing alot but since I just got back into the game last year I don't think I will see one anytime soon. I did get an eagle by making a 40-45 yard pitch shot last year so I was happy with that!

I have a hole in one and will now die happy!

#FiberLaunch

I have a hole in one and will now die happy!

#FiberLaunch

It is a great feeling for sure!!!! I was kinda disappointed when I missed the Albatross, the ball just needed to roll another 18inches or less. Maybe someday.

Par 5 albatross = two well placed shots and a bunch of luck.

Par 3 hole in one = one well placed shot and a bunch of luck.

I'll take 3 under.

Sure there are exceptions to the above, but they are accurate for the vast majority of instances.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hole In One. I hit my first one this year, but would still rather hit another one of those over an Albatross.

My only HIO was an Albatross. I'll take that.

Without either, I'd still take the Albatross. Very few golfers have had one of those. From the length usually required to the precision that's always required, there's a whole lot of HIO's compared to albatrosses.

I hope you all have one in your golf careers. It's rather invigorating.

Hole in one. It's a story that everyone understands. Non-golfers have no idea what an albatross is.

I've never had either, but have been closer to an albatross. Closest to HIO is about 18 inches. Closest to albatross was on a par 5 with driver, 3-wood. The second shot landed on the fringe, rolled up and hit the pin. Of course it then rolled all the way off the green, so I chipped back on and 3-jacked a bogey out of it.

Par 3 HIO, or Par 5 Albatross

HIO seems more sexy to me. I wonder what percentage of golfers (or non golfers) can tell you what an albatross is. Everybody knows what a hole in one is.

Everybody knows what a hole in one is.

Yes, but sadly, I think the majority of people are clueless how to refer to multiple aces.

I'd take the albatross hands down.

Pretty sure it's statistically much more difficult to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well considering I got my first (hopefully not last) HIO a couple of months ago, I guess the albatross is next. While I can't take credit for it, I was part of an albatross during a scramble many years ago. My tee shot but not my second shot which found the bottom of the cup.

The HIO was amazing (playing with one of my golf buddies and two others that got paired with us that day). I actually sort of missed some of the excitement. I knew when I hit the shot it was going to be good based on the line. When I saw it come down and it started to roll slightly I thought it had stopped. I bent down to pick up the tee and the other three started yelling, "it went in!". That was some feeling...

Albatross hands down. I missed one by less than a foot a few years ago. They are hard to get.

Back