Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

I will say that in pure carry numbers this is the longest driver I've ever hit. I have been extremely impressed at how good the DBD performs

Ive seen you hit some bombs and to hear this is crazy good. Happy for you and it will be fun to see you hit this. Safe travels back home

I will say that in pure carry numbers this is the longest driver I've ever hit. I have been extremely impressed at how good the DBD performs
Man now I'm doubting what I want to try.

Looks like a visit to Windmill for some fitting is in order.

Ive seen you hit some bombs and to hear this is crazy good. Happy for you and it will be fun to see you hit this. Safe travels back home

Man now I'm doubting what I want to try.

Looks like a visit to Windmill for some fitting is in order.

It's a great fitting club for me but I'm a high spinner off the tee. Those that need help with getting the spin down will really like this driver. And the gravity core really does its job and it's noticeable

It's a great fitting club for me but I'm a high spinner off the tee. Those that need help with getting the spin down will really like this driver. And the gravity core really does its job and it's noticeable
Yeah I don't have too much of an issue with that, but then again I'm playing a lower spin driver too. Just goes to show what a good fitting will do.

i don't have a too much spin issue and my swing was a little shaky the day i demo'd this and gbb. i definitely saw better results with the gravity core in the location of my miss compared to when it was in the opposite position.

I liked this one better than the 815 version

Tagged until i can get some thoughts down.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Today left me amazed at how well the gravity core performs. I was missing towards the heel all day and didn't lose much distance. It was weird out driving Winchell lol but so far early on I'm really enjoying the DBD

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Being fit for this driver was the biggest shock from my Grandaddy fitting. When I went to go get fit the Great Big Bertha was at the top of the list based on my time with it leading up to the event. I'm a high spin player off the tee so either driver would have to be a 9* head and go from there. I hit the GBB, but not sure if it was my swing that day or that my GBB paired with the Grandura was that legit, either way a few swings with the DBD solved my spin issues immediately. The only thing left was to get it dialed in and to the numbers i'm used to seeing. I told my fitter I didn't care about total yards, my main concern is to have my carry distance between 220-230 with goof launch. After a few shafts, we settled on the Kuro Kage 50S. The DBD head is a little heavier and the lighter shaft helped me out a ton. We dialed in the gravity core setting and not only was my spin and carry right where we wanted, but the dispersion & distance was all noticeably better then the GBB.

I've had a few rounds under my belt and although I was fit into the Kuro Kage, the #InternetGolfer in me had to throw the Oban Hashimoto in there. Man am I glad I did. The set up and feel reminds me of my BBA 815, but with better distance and feel. I played 18 today after work and I hit 12/14 fairways. I was seeing some total distances off the tee that I've not seen ever. A few drives totaled out in the 265 range & that is huge for me. The best part was my dispersion and the forgiveness on mishits. Even on swings that weren't on the button, I was still seeing respectable distances and not being penalized as much as you would think. Callaway marketed this as the next step from the 815 DBD and that probably scared some people away thinking they weren't good enough to hit this consistently well. (I was one) I hope more give it a shot because they could be pleasantly surprised.

This, like many of the current drivers, is one that you have to go and get fit for. Not a big box store fitting, but a proper fitting. Talking to my fitter at ECPC there are a few nuances to setting this one up to provide optimal results. The gravity core plays a big role based on where you hit on the club face. Proper placement of the GC can extend the sweet spot out to the area where you mishit. It can also help you with ball flight and help enhance draw capabilities. I'll have more later, but this is the current set up

d2553ad7eea855f328f7f7e4e427e35b.jpg

I'm going to be on a launch monitor tomorrow. I am going to hit this driver. Oh yes. It will be hit.

This is the best driver on the market IMO

I have to agree 100% it will take a lot to get this club out of my bag. Started out with the IO60 shaft but just did not quite have the feel I was looking for. With the LZ50 6.0 it has that perfect feel I like.

I have to agree 100% it will take a lot to get this club out of my bag. Started out with the IO60 shaft but just did not quite have the feel I was looking for. With the LZ50 6.0 it has that perfect feel I like.
Similar story here. Started with rogue io 70 stiff. Ended up with lz50 handcrafted 7.0 and it's been rock solid

This driver received the biggest complement I have heard on the course. As we were teeing off on #1 today as I hit the tee shot there was a collective "oh sh$t" from our entire group as the shot rocketed about 280 down the centerline.

Similar story here. Started with rogue io 70 stiff. Ended up with lz50 handcrafted 7.0 and it's been rock solid
Interesting because i love the I/O. Even when up against the Oban Hashimoto i still love it. Different folks i guess

Interesting because i love the I/O. Even when up against the Oban Hashimoto i still love it. Different folks i guess
All about personal preference and fit. I am just getting better results with lz50 handcraft.

All about personal preference and fit. I am just getting better results with lz50 handcraft.
Where do you have the gravity core?

Kang is what I like to call a "1%er" hahaha

The I/O is a really strong fit for the DBD. Low spin, solid responsiveness in the shaft itself, and a great look at setup.

The I/O is a really strong fit for the DBD. Low spin, solid responsiveness in the shaft itself, and a great look at setup.
Lol ya im a big fan of the I/O. And it looks fantastic with the acid green UTx

Thats where i have it as well

I tend to like shafts that are tip and butt stiff with softer middle.

I've got a HZRDUS in mine. It's kind of offensive, actually. And it looks awesome.
I havent tried the HZRDUS in the DBD, only the GBB and I really struggled at leaving the ball out to the right. And it was interesting because Hashtag Chad had the GBB HZRDUS set up and was doing the same thing in Cali. We need to get together soon so you can try the DBD with the Oban Hashimoto

I havent tried the HZRDUS in the DBD, only the GBB and I really struggled at leaving the ball out to the right. And it was interesting because Hashtag Chad had the GBB HZRDUS set up and was doing the same thing in Cali. We need to get together soon so you can try the DBD with the Oban Hashimoto

Sounds like a great time... And considering my miss with the DBD is left, I'd say it's no wonder i like the HZRDUS.

The Kuro Kage TiNi is very similar for me. It's such a perfect shaft for my game.

Tried out my new DBD 10.5 Rogue 60 Stiff today for 9 holes, started with the core down in the toe and at D /S after a couple of balls turned the core up in the toe and D /-1 and wow, nice ball flight and just as long as the GBB. The last hole I played was a 401 yd par 4 slight left to right wind so I set up to hit a draw (sure I will) and hit it dead straight and long for me. The landing area is slightly downhill and it lasered out to a 266 yd drive. Big for me, I did not notice any real difference in forgiveness form the GBB but my misses were better.

Ball flight is still mid high but I am getting some roll out and every bit helps.

Couple new shafts for me to tinker with and see if it can outperform the lz50 handcrafted. Too bad it's 25° and snow everywhere...
c77fc1febf089b46fc9273051838b7a2.jpg
f48091733ca6451223a67facc8aaaad1.jpg
ff0dec0cd03f3b19cc258ef38f1d80d6.jpg

Back