Distance Measuring Tool of Choice?

jints07

Reaction score
Handicap
I think most of us have tried at least two (if not many more) distance tools. I.e. distance to pin, distance to layups, distance to the OB stake, etc. As basic as "I use the sprinkler heads" to "I use a GPS Watch, Phone App, Rangefinder, and Yardage book all at the same time". I have tried pretty much everything and have found that the GPS watch (I use Garmin S60) is the best mix of accuracy with the least amount of hassle. For a long time I was absolutely addicted to the rangefinder but after going back to a carry bag it became somewhat of a hassle. Not surprisingly, the less precise GPS watch (because pin distance isn't exact) didn't hurt me at all and in fact I think the less fumbling around was actually helpful. I'm sure lower caps require more precision, but this was my experience having a mid to higher cap.

So what say you, what is your tool of choice and/or anecdotes with experimenting with the various tools/methods?

I have a rangefinder, but my playing partner always has his GPS watch on and I generally only pull the rangefinder 3 or 4 times a round now...

Rangefinder. Just makes more sense to me than knowing yardages to front, middle and back.

Ideally GPS + laser. I know there's one out there now but I've stuck with only a laser for now and it works for me.

I usually game a GPS watch and Range Finder. I like a combo of both at times.

I use Golfpad GPS on my phone to track my shots, score and stats so mostly GPS. I'd say I use the range finder 5 maybe 6 times a round though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I like my golf buddy gps

Laser rangefinder coupled with a GPS for general distances off the tee and hazards.

I have Golf Buddy GPS and also a rangefinder.

My range finder has done me well for a few years and I have no complaints

Rangefinder for me. I would have to constantly take my glasses on and off to read the information on a GPS watch. With the rangefinder I can simply point and shoot.

Laser rangefinder.
I have tried gps units and they work ok, but when I want to know distances to exact spots, I always go laser.

The Grint phone app works well for me.

I usually game a GPS watch and Range Finder. I like a combo of both at times.

Same here. The watch does more than just GPS, which helps, but is my primary measuring tool. I do have a rangefinder as well, but don't use it on every hole.

Rangefinder. I am a high ball hitter so the more precise the measurement, the better for me. Also, perhaps even more than the precise yardage, I like the routine it makes me take vs. just flipping up my wrist. If I walked more I may feel differently.

Rangefinder. I am a high ball hitter so the more precise the measurement, the better for me. Also, perhaps even more than the precise yardage, I like the routine it makes me take vs. just flipping up my wrist. If I walked more I may feel differently.

I hear you on this. When I stopped using the rangefinder regularly I did feel like the routine was a little out of sorts, at least in the beginning.

Mainly Bushnell GPS, but have a rangefinder handy.

I have both GPS and Laser but I tend to use the laser more during a round. Only exception would be a course I'm not as familiar with I'll use GPS to figure out what my carry needs to be over hazards and such.

Our carts have GPS and I used to use a dedicated handheld GPS, but knowing what I do after a lot of research about the inaccuracy of GPS I use a laser rangefinder.

Smartphone GPS app (swing by swing). But I generally only use it when I'm in a spot that I can't get a decent estimate off a fairway stake or sprinkler head.

I use Shot Scope V2. It gives me front, middle and back measurements and tracks my shots. Post round information on the app and website shows me club distance for my clubs. For a beginner this is a lot of information to digest, but it's really helping me get the range on my clubs.

Range Finder for me. I like getting three readings around the green.

I'm a rangefinder guy. I used a GPS watch for ages and probably still would if it didn't die but having the ability to check distances of hazards, trees, etc is really nice to have.

golfpad app

golfpadgps.com

Primary is my GPS watch, I use it on nearly every shot tee to green.. I have a laser too and probably pull it for half dozen shots a round.

Back