Iron Shot Aiming Point?

Boone

Reaction score
Realized recently that I drifted into a practice of generally 'looking' at the ball during my setup and swing vs. being focused on a specific aiming point. Being a former Marine, and expert marksman I know that having a very precise aiming point is crucial to accuracy of any kind. Doing some reading online, I happened upon some recommendations of Ben Hogan (as well as other golfers) suggesting that the ideal aiming point (specifically for irons) was actually about 4" in front of the ball. I understand the logic in this suggestion since we want to hit 'down' on the irons, and focusing in front of the ball would theoretically ensure that is consistently happening, as evidenced by a divot forward of the ball.

But trying to put this approach into practice, I'll be damned if I can do it :)

First of all, it's a little unclear to me, should I be focused on that 4" aiming point from the point of address all the way through my backswing? Some of the stuff I've read seems to suggest that one should focus on the ball and then during the downswing shift the focus to 4" in front of the ball. I find it difficult to focus on that 4" point even at address, and still make good contact with the ball, much less switching my focus during the swing.

Do any of you use this technique?
If so, do you pick that ball forward aiming point and focus at address?
If so, did it take a long time to be able to consistently strike the ball focusing in front of it?

I'm trying to decide if:
a) this is a sound approach?
b) do I just need to commit to this and practice, practice, practice until it begins to feel natural and I'm consistently striking the ball?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts/experiences!

I don't think this is right. I believe you are confusing target line (Aim) with looking at the ball.

-- Aim to me means picking out a spot in front of the ball (could be a leave, old tee etc.) and that's your target line.

Look at the ball unless your in a greenside bunker and then you can look a few inches behind the ball so you hit the sand.

It was actually Bobby Clampett in 'Impact Zone' that brought this technique to my attention. And I found a short video where he explains what he means.

What I'm hearing from him here is that we are both right. He recommends exactly what I said when starting out - that folks beginning to implement this focus 4" in front of the ball to start out. Over time he says that you will begin to internalize the feel and swing that naturally 'aims' (more as you described) your hands 4" in front of the ball while your eyes are actually focused on the ball.

I'm not sure I could play a round (at least right now) 'focusing' 4" in front of my ball on iron shots without it being a total disaster. But I'm going to start working on it on range sessions and see if I can get a feel for it in order to more frequently swing down on the ball and have the appropriate ball forward divot more consistently.

I think aiming at the ball or a spot in front of the ball promotes hitting at the ball instead of through the ball. I feel the swing itself is what needs a path target line (which doesn't even have to be the end result target line itself) and then the ball just simply gets in the way of swinging the club. At least that is the goal imo. Imo one starts aiming at the ball then they swing at it instead of through it and that promotes issues of thin, fat, and whatever else other 100 ways we screw things up. Imo...its ball position, and all the other swing fundamentals but never swing at the ball or at the ground. Just swing and let it happen as though the ball and the ground are in the way of the swing. Not the easiest thing to do and hence why most struggle to make good contact.

I just think the focus if any is all about the swing we execute and not really the ball per say.

Last edited:
I can see looking at the front edge of the ball, but not 4 inches.

Old time pros used to teach focusing on a spot in front of the ball (but only for knock down low trajectory into the wind type shots).

I'm starting to view golf and the golf swing as more 'art' than 'science'. If there were any easy techniques we just adopt and 'Voila!' - golf swing perfection, we would all be scratch golfers.

But that doesn't keep from looking for that 'one thing' that's going to transform my game ...

Imo the 4” is the intermediate to short aim point drawn on a line back from your target to help get the clubface square to your intebdebded target then you align your body to the club face. While it may help with hitting turf after ball that really comes from getting shaft lean and body in front if the ball with good sequencing

I pick a spot maybe 4 to 5 feet in front of the ball inline with my target. It is hard to aim at something a couple of hundred yards away.

I pick a spot maybe 4 to 5 feet in front of the ball inline with my target. It is hard to aim at something a couple of hundred yards away.

Seems to be lack of clarity on whether one is using an 'aiming point' vs. what your eyes are focusing on as you swing. I think what Clampett is talking about is more than selecting an 'aiming point' that one uses during set up.

I'm going to simplify the question.

Where do you focus your eyes during your iron swing? Back of the ball? Front of the ball? Somewhere forward of the ball (and if so, how far in front of the ball)? Or somewhere else?

I like to focus on the front of the ball for iron and wedge shots, back of the ball with driver.

Not my words of wisdom, but from Shawn Clement:

Pick an intermediate point, no more than 12 inches in front of the ball. This is the point over which you will direct the momentum of your club.

However, your eyes should be focused on the grass between the leading edge of the club and the ball. The iron is after all, a grass cutting tool (or at least grass moving). Our task is to cut grass in the direction of the intermediate point.

For teed shots, focus your eyes on the tip of the tee where the ball sits. Naturally, you can't see it, but you can still focus your eyes there. If your club ticks the tip of the tee in the direction of your intermediate, you'll make dead-center face contact.

Not my words of wisdom, but from Shawn Clement:

Pick an intermediate point, no more than 12 inches in front of the ball. This is the point over which you will direct the momentum of your club.

However, your eyes should be focused on the grass between the leading edge of the club and the ball. The iron is after all, a grass cutting tool (or at least grass moving). Our task is to cut grass in the direction of the intermediate point.

For teed shots, focus your eyes on the tip of the tee where the ball sits. Naturally, you can't see it, but you can still focus your eyes there. If your club ticks the tip of the tee in the direction of your intermediate, you'll make dead-center face contact.

I like it - thanks!

I think it is a good tip for those learning the game to swing at an imaginary ball a few inches in front of the actual ball, or whatever drill/thought works to achieve that feeling, because it's strange to have the bottom of the arc fall in front of the ball, but once you get it and know it there is only one place I think a player should focus- and that's dead on the ball, even find a dimple, stare it down.

Most of the time, my eyes are squeezed shut in terror.

The other times, I primarily just look at the back of the ball.

Back