Blades Vs Cavity Back

Are you going to practice and learn with the 4, 5, & 6? You know, to help force you to learn a better swing?
Yes I only practice with the blades. But I was just a little bit of a WUSSY today.

So I swapped out the long irons for the game.

I ended up hitting a sweetheart 4 iron with the XR Pro's pin hit with 5 feet of back spin from 185 yards. Left me with a 4 foot birdie putt.

This made my day.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

So what were your stats when you shot the 109 at the tournament? FIR, GIR, penalties, and putts?

Yes I only practice with the blades. But I was just a little bit of a WUSSY today.

So I swapped out the long irons for the game.

I ended up hitting a sweetheart 4 iron with the XR Pro's pin hit with 5 feet of back spin from 185 yards. Left me with a 4 foot birdie putt.

This made my day.

You put 5 feet of back spin on a 4 iron?

Took the Blades out for a spin today.

Shot a 96. White tee's. 69.5/121 R/Slope.

Actually. The MP5'S don't feel or play like blade. They just feel like a nice solid Iron. More forgiving than I expected. More than enough for my game.

But to be completely honest, I replaced the 4,5,6 irons with the XR Pro's.

It was actually a very nice combination. The gaps were precise. I only miss one green on a par three hole. I pulled my shot but it landed 12 inches onto the fringe, so an easy chip and put for par.

The MP5'S might have actually achieved that incredible feat of making a Cavity Back/ Blade looking iron.

Others with more experience can chime in. But I did feel any loss, for feeling I was leaving something on the table by not carrying a SGI iron set in the bag.

Let it's been said. Play what ever clubs move you. But after just a few weeks, less than a month, the MP5'S have kicked the XR Pro's out of the bag with the mid to short irons any way.

I have a funny feeling that the upward climb to 4, 5, 6 iron making it into the bag isn't far off.

I have tested and played other blades before. But the Mizuno MP-5'S are really something special which have checked off a lot of boxes and shine like super stars.

I would venture to say if the gap from xr pro 6 iron to mp5 7 iron is not significantly different from other gaps then you are not striking well. From design standpoint you should be looking at about 2 club gap. By all means play what you want, I have mp5s and think they are fantastic clubs as well. But as it's been pointed out before, it's a game and play what you enjoy

I would venture to say if the gap from xr pro 6 iron to mp5 7 iron is not significantly different from other gaps then you are not striking well. From design standpoint you should be looking at about 2 club gap. By all means play what you want, I have mp5s and think they are fantastic clubs as well. But as it's been pointed out before, it's a game and play what you enjoy

Why am I not surprised? :alien:

You know I didn't keep that accurate stats for the game, just the strokes per hole. If I get too busy keeping stats I lose my focus on the shot at hand.

But I know that I could have putted better as well. I was consistently on in regulation only to walk away with a boogie or worse.

It was a tougher course with no bailout and super fast greens running 12 to 13 all day.

Today the greens were at 10 ish. Pretty much point and shot. I just wasn't putting to save my life.

Why am I not surprised? :alien:
Hahaha. Ordered it about 3 months ago to be custom built. My builder had some surgery and the build was delayed. I haven't played a round with it yet lol. When he offered to build it with program f15 shafts for only 100 above retail for brand new in plastic heads I couldn't refuse lol. I will say that the mp5 are one of the bigger, more modern blades, that I believe more oem are trying to make blades more payable. Just like srixon z945. Bit longer heel to toe, bit bigger in general. The mp5 sets up very similar to titleist 716 cb and bridgestone j15 cb (titleist being smaller, and bridgestone being bit bigger)

You put 5 feet of back spin on a 4 iron?
It was a perfect shot that caught the slope or back board of the green behind the pin and roll back like a kitten creeping closer to the hole with each roll.

Everyone in the group was shouting, it was great.

But yes the golf God smile once or twice a round. That was one of those moments. Plus I hit it from the mid of the fairway and actually got a chance to see it creeping back. It was awesome.

And then I shot a triple boogie the next hole. Lol. Lmfao. GOLF

You say you 3 putt or worse nearly every hole. I have to be honest, that blows my mind. GIR's on nearly every hole and shooting mid to high 90's just doesn't compute for me. 36-40 full swings, a small number of chips and @50 putts? Really?

It was a perfect shot that caught the slope or back board of the green behind the pin and roll back like a kitten creeping closer to the hole with each roll.

Everyone in the group was shouting, it was great.

But yes the golf God smile once or twice a round. That was one of those moments. Plus I hit it from the mid of the fairway and actually got a chance to see it creeping back. It was awesome.

And then I shot a triple boogie the next hole. Lol. Lmfao. GOLF

On a slope. Ok that makes at least a little more sense. because I'd find it darn near impossible to put 1 foot of back spin on a 4 iron, let alone 5, and I'm a high spin player. Especially not with XR pros.

I'm sure my swing make over is far from complete. But the gap wasn't something that stood out as a flaw in my current setup. I play from the front tee's and usually hitting a wedge. The long irons were for the occasional long par 4 or 5.

So I stacked the deck with wedges and swing for the fence with the driver.

Happy New Year. THP'ERS

You say you 3 putt or worse nearly every hole. I have to be honest, that blows my mind. GIR's on nearly every hole and shooting mid to high 90's just doesn't compute for me. 36-40 full swings, a small number of chips and @50 putts? Really?

That was my thought. Chipping to 5-10 feet and 3 putting more often than not just doesn't make sense in my head.

But then again, I've seen some interesting stuff on the golf course.

How are you like your set. What's you opinion on how forgiving the MP5'S are.

Which other clubs would you find similar to?

Obviously you really liked the MP5'S like I did, but it is always fun to hear a different point of view.

Did I mention to you that I can't putt my way out of a wet paper towel.

That's been my existence for years. Under 40 strokes long game. 50 some times 60 strokes short game and mostly 80% putting.

But at least I'm looking for a cure.

Happy New Year and New Putting grove.

Did I mention to you that I can't putt my way out of a wet paper towel.

That's been my existence for years. Under 40 strokes long game. 50 some times 60 strokes short game and mostly 80% putting.

But at least I'm looking for a cure.

Happy New Year and New Putting grove.

Please don't take offense at my post. It is just so very foreign to my own experience, where full swing is exponentially harder. It is one of those deals where I intellectually know the game is different for all of us but am still befuddled by anyone having the ability to be pretty damn good at the harder (to me) stuff than the easier (to me) stuff.

I am genuinely interested to follow your progress, see you take putting lessons, put in the work and see how low you can go with your index.

That was my thought. Chipping to 5-10 feet and 3 putting more often than not just doesn't make sense in my head.

But then again, I've seen some interesting stuff on the golf course.
I missed a four footer by 6 feet. Okay it was a down hill putt. But even by my standards it was terrible.

Practice practice practice. Twice as hard. It's all I can do.

How are you like your set. What's you opinion on how forgiving the MP5'S are.

Which other clubs would you find similar to?

Obviously you really liked the MP5'S like I did, but it is always fun to hear a different point of view.

My previous gamers were srixon z945. Both similar sized blades. Mp5 are bit softer at impact. Both are blades, meaning they offer no real help in ball speed retention. What you lose there you gain in control of the ball flight, and what I'd call a more predictable miss. If you miss hit away from center distance loss will be significant compared to xr pro and the like. Forgiving is not a word associated with blades, but I'd say the modern blades are a bit easier to hit, and perhaps have a touch bigger sweet spot than blades of old

Please don't take offense at my post. It is just so very foreign to my own experience, where full swing is exponentially harder. It is one of those deals where I intellectually know the game is different for all of us but am still befuddled by anyone having the ability to be pretty damn good at the harder (to me) stuff than the easier (to me) stuff.

I am genuinely interested to follow your progress, see you take putting lessons, put in the work and see how low you can go with your index.
Yeah golf is really a interesting game. The driver for me is the easiest club. I hit the long irons better than my wedges.

Maybe I just get more nervous or excited the closer I get to the hole.

But for me putting is like a moon shot. Too much calculus and I never learned how to use a slide ruler.

The five parts of the game are completely different and require different talents making a great player that much more unique as a player.

I played lots of games playing with a stick hitting a ball at high speed.

Now touch. Judging the speed and break of a putt. Beyond my pay grade.

BTW. No offense ever taken

I'm only here to learn and share.

Honestly is very refreshing.

I'm a hacker.

Therefore I'm in paradise. Pun intended.

My previous gamers were srixon z945. Both similar sized blades. Mp5 are bit softer at impact. Both are blades, meaning they offer no real help in ball speed retention. What you lose there you gain in control of the ball flight, and what I'd call a more predictable miss. If you miss hit away from center distance loss will be significant compared to xr pro and the like. Forgiving is not a word associated with blades, but I'd say the modern blades are a bit easier to hit, and perhaps have a touch bigger sweet spot than blades of old
You have taken the words right out of my mouth.

Great appraisal of the MP -5's. The easiest hitting Blades I have ever met.

I hit the same spot on the club face about the size of a quarter. Don't need impact tape because the repeated impact leaves a mark.

So I usual mishit is a pull hook which the MP5'S seem to help reduce in severity.

But either way. My scores haven't been hurt by these Blades, in fact I think improved.

You have taken the words right out of my mouth.

Great appraisal of the MP -5's. The easiest hitting Blades I have ever met.

I hit the same spot on the club face about the size of a quarter. Don't need impact tape because the repeated impact leaves a mark.

So I usual mishit is a pull hook which the MP5'S seem to help reduce in severity.

But either way. My scores haven't been hurt by these Blades, in fact I think improved.

I don't doubt what you're saying. Scoring comes from short game and putting

Yeah golf is really a interesting game. The driver for me is the easiest club. I hit the long irons better than my wedges.

Maybe I just get more nervous or excited the closer I get to the hole.

But for me putting is like a moon shot. Too much calculus and I never learned how to use a slide ruler.

The five parts of the game are completely different and require different talents making a great player that much more unique as a player.

I played lots of games playing with a stick hitting a ball at high speed.

Now touch. Judging the speed and break of a putt. Beyond my pay grade.

Maybe this will help.

To me putting is less of a mind thing and more of a feel thing. Sure, there's consideration for speed, break and the good miss, but sometimes I just putt by looking at the ball, the hole, the turf in between them, taking a few practice strokes, then doing it, all without a thought in my head except one - get it in the hole.

Maybe this will help.

To me putting is less of a mind thing and more of a feel thing. Sure, there's consideration for speed, break and the good miss, but sometimes I just putt by looking at the ball, the hole, the turf in between them, taking a few practice strokes, then doing it, all without a thought in my head except one - get it in the hole.
Thanks.

I may be paralyzed by analysis.

Good advice

I was reflecting last night on the THP conversation. I was intrigued by the fact that in the end. Drive for show, putt for dough would still hit me like a shocking revelation.

I was pondering so much and practicing so much my Irons. CB. MB.

When in reality it just doesn't matter.

Dude. You got to learn to putt.

I am honestly laughing at myself.

Happy New Year

Okay. The results of the MP -5'S TOURNAMENT are in.

Every Stroke Counts. ..

No Excuses.

Back