Bridgestone J815 Driver Review

i promise i'll only post my thoughts after a few more rounds, but while this thing is still in the honeymoon phase i figured i'd keep posting.

i set it to "RIGHT" with the adapter today to try to combat the hooks. what stood out today was how forgiving this driver is. i like that it doesn't have (at least visually) a ton of bulge and roll, and yet heel shots and toe shots track nicely back into the middle. i hit some very nice distance shots with some poor contact.

i'm usually a 10.5-11.0 fan, but even at 9.5 set to "RIGHT" this thing still launches. and to the design's credit, the hooks went away (except for the worst of swings) and a gentle fade was easily achievable.

i kept up nicely with a couple bombers in my group today. the dvs is definitely helping me, though the feel will take some getting used to. although i didn't hit a ton of fairways today, that was because i took lines that usually leave me short of rough or hazards but i found them today on decent strikes that went farther than expected.

i have a diamana kai'li, fubuki zt, and aldila rogue black 110 to swap out and find the best pairing. my money's on the rogue, and sanzabar is hoping i hate the kai'li! :)

i have a diamana kai'li, fubuki zt, and aldila rogue black 110 to swap out and find the best pairing. my money's on the rogue, and sanzabar is hoping i hate the kai'li! :)
Yes, yes he is.

This driver remains one of the most filthy forgiving heads I've ever hit, and it pokes it out there with the best of them too. I don't need any more drivers lol, but if I did, this would be up there. That, and a refinish job to gloss black LOL

Coupled with the right shaft is important. I am hitting mine with better accuracy, playing the neutral setting, I am not seeing much of a cut at all, unless I push fade something. Very forgiving head. I had to change weights, add lead tape, and hit the range, but it is solid currently.

Coupled with the right shaft is important. I am hitting mine with better accuracy, playing the neutral setting, I am not seeing much of a cut at all, unless I push fade something. Very forgiving head. I had to change weights, add lead tape, and hit the range, but it is solid currently.
When I hit it for a minute, I hit one so far out on the toe it turned the club in my hands, pretty violently. It still went like 220 straight down the right side. mind=blown

Still one of my absolute favorite driver heads out there.

However, damn that paint choice though for keeping more from trying it

i promise i'll only post my thoughts after a few more rounds, but while this thing is still in the honeymoon phase i figured i'd keep posting.

i set it to "RIGHT" with the adapter today to try to combat the hooks. what stood out today was how forgiving this driver is. i like that it doesn't have (at least visually) a ton of bulge and roll, and yet heel shots and toe shots track nicely back into the middle. i hit some very nice distance shots with some poor contact.

i'm usually a 10.5-11.0 fan, but even at 9.5 set to "RIGHT" this thing still launches. and to the design's credit, the hooks went away (except for the worst of swings) and a gentle fade was easily achievable.

i kept up nicely with a couple bombers in my group today. the dvs is definitely helping me, though the feel will take some getting used to. although i didn't hit a ton of fairways today, that was because i took lines that usually leave me short of rough or hazards but i found them today on decent strikes that went farther than expected.

Yes, yes he is.

The Kai'Li is PURE JUNK!!!!!!!!!!

I've been loving mine recently. Straight missiles being launched. I might toy with different shafts for fun, even though the RIP Alpha has been spot on.

I really want to try this head in comparison to the 715!

I really want to try this head in comparison to the 715!

I saw a 715 at golfsmith yesterday and it's classically beautiful. the 815 is miles apart looks wise. but after a short time with the 815 and knowing that I'm still getting the feel of it, I can't imagine wanting the 715.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a 715 at golfsmith yesterday and it's classically beautiful. the 815 is miles apart looks wise. but after a short time with the 815 and knowing that I'm still getting the feel of it, I can't imagine wanting the 715.

Looks wise.. I'm not really worried about that. I am looking for performance. I don't like the way the 815 looks, but it seems like a performer.

The Kai'Li stinks in both though. Ha!

While I agree in principle with your thoughts I do feel that no matter how good of a performer it is if you do not like the look or feel of the club it WILL be replaced sooner rather than later.

While I agree in principle with your thoughts I do feel that no matter how good of a performer it is if you do not like the look or feel of the club it WILL be replaced sooner rather than later.

Look and feel are completely different animals. I don't care what a club looks like if it performs well.

Fantastic day with this today. 9/14 fairways and some really solid hits. I am thrilled with this so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic day with this today. 9/14 fairways and some really solid hits. I am thrilled with this so far.

More importantly.. With what shaft??

More importantly.. With what shaft??

Relentless! Still sticking with the dvs. I'm planning on using the club testing this weekend to do the shaft switching. I don't expect to bogart the flights cope but I'll have an excuse to nerd out.

Relentless! Still sticking with the dvs. I'm planning on using the club testing this weekend to do the shaft switching. I don't expect to bogart the flights cope but I'll have an excuse to nerd out.

Ha.. Totally just messing with you! I hope you find a shaft and love it.

Ha.. Totally just messing with you! I hope you find a shaft and love it.

DVS vs kai'li vs fubuki today. it's official, I hate that fubuki shaft. it's a hook monster in the driver and hybrid. just not for me.

the DVS can go left when I get out of whack, but it helps me in all the areas I need it.

sanzabar- the few lashes with the kai'li were very intriguing. I'll try to get some numbers to confirm how it stacks up against the DVS, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet. sorry brother.

overall a really good driving day for me today. I lost my swing on the back for awhile, but when it was on it was sweet. the 408y 18 I hit one of my best drives of the day and had 125 in, and it was raining. that's really big for me. I'm quickly gaining confidence with this.

it's just so forgiving, and with it set to "right" I'm getting a ball flight i am so happy with.

that's it, no more updates.

agree 100% with you. In the hybrid I did the test drive with the tour green the zt and another one and took them to my fitting. but the test drive options for the j815 in standard are lacking imo...

That's where I get frustrated, I am tempted to pick up the j815 head that's in the marketplace and then get a few shafts put some bstone adapters on and go to work. but then that elevates this much higher than a ponder haha

oitw- quoting you here so we can banter about this driver in the devoted thread.

i'll have some shafts laying around from my experiment, and happy to send them on to you to try before you buy! i too am tempted by that 12* head in the marketplace because jb told me i could swing a 13* or 14* driver with my spin being as low as it is. but i've already dropped enough coin on testing the different shafts, so i'm probably going to have to pass on that 12* head.

oitw- quoting you here so we can banter about this driver in the devoted thread.

i'll have some shafts laying around from my experiment, and happy to send them on to you to try before you buy! i too am tempted by that 12* head in the marketplace because jb told me i could swing a 13* or 14* driver with my spin being as low as it is. but i've already dropped enough coin on testing the different shafts, so i'm probably going to have to pass on that 12* head.

Sounds good.

We're in the same boat in regards to low spin and lofting up. I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep you posted if i pull the trigger.

Sounds good.

We're in the same boat in regards to low spin and lofting up. I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep you posted if i pull the trigger.
OITW -
I built this club from pieces for sale from the Marketplace, got an adaptor from eBay for $16. Between the shaft (upgrade) and the cost to put it together, I still paid less than a new club.
It is a forgiving, ugly monster, but I love it!

Buy it! You know you want to do it!

Im not a fan of fubuki either and was underwhelmed with it in the j715 and j815. The tour green and tour blue were the two shaft ideas I had for you. Was thinking if you went 12* tour blue might be a better option. 10.5 either would work.

another option I liked was the speeder 665. On the j715 I had some good results with ad di 6s.

Don't have any knowledge on the speeders...

It's not a good ponder, I can get both the Tour Green and Tour Blue from Callaway Preowned for $120 both shipped, just have to get 2 Bstone adapters then purchase a head.

I was thinking about getting the head in 12 because with the adjustments I can turn it down to 11 which should open the face which is good for me and still keep the loft improvement...

I have never enjoyed hitting driver as much as I enjoy hitting this driver. I want to find out what the actually loft is because I can hit this thing high! if you are a low spin, low launch player looking to improve that I cannot recommend this driver enough. i hit some monsters today!

Back