OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Its that time of year again in my area, courses punching the greens before fall arrives. Some of the courses put up "Warnings" on their websites, or can be found on other reservation sites, but some don't even let you know when you check in. The ones that are open about it will often offer discounted green fees until the greens recover, so personally, I feel a little ripped off when I pay full fee, and unexpectedly find miserable conditions when I reach the first green. Over time I've kind of gotten to know which courses to avoid this time of year, or at least to call before reserving a tee time. My home course is very open about it, they use the really small tine punches, and offer discounts. I'll play there when the greens have been punched to support them for their up-front business practices, and because I know that their business is slow during those periods, and they can use the business.

So is it "Buyer beware", and the golfer's responsibility to do the homework, or shoddy business practice for those courses that are close mouthed about it?

Harding Park in San Francisco aerates their greens about 6 times per year. The course offers a 20% discount for the first week following aeration.

I’ve never been to a course knowing in advance the greens were punched. However, the last few weeks, I’ve played Pacific Grove who knocked $20 off the round after punching their greens, and Bayonet & Blackhorse who gave us vouchers for a free round after they punched their greens.

#FiberLaunch

Back