Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to create a stir with this one I'm sure. I welcome all comments. So let me tell a story....

So tonight I took My 2 oldest kids out to play. I wasn't playing after playing 27 earlier. All was good until we hit the 7th hole. We waited several minutes for the tee to clear, we'd caught up with "The League".

Kids playing only. We waited over 20 minutes on the tee at 7. Then we waited another 20 minutes or more for the green to clear so they could hit into the green.

After another 20 minute or more wait they finally got to tee off on 8. 8 is a LONG par 4 that plays almost 500. We had to wait until they'd hit their 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th to even tee off. When we finally got to hit, one put his ball in the middle with a mid iron in, the other hit his solid but pushed with another mid iron in. After 15 minutes waiting in the middle of the fairway for him to hit, I yelled out "hey!! Can you please hurry it up a bit! We're going to run out of light!!" Immediately upon hearing that, the old bald guy in the group threw his putter down and made like he was going to charge me. ????

I'd love to say I was above that but I'm not. I tossed my club aside (with glee??), threw my hat off, and yelled "hey I have kids with me!!!" Some big fat guy (not knocking that, I'm pretty much there too) held him back (it was really comical, lol!!!) and that was the end of that.

We waited 15 minutes, with the sun setting, to tee off on 9. Once we could we waited another 15+++ minutes to hit our seconds into this short par 5. Basically 100% out of light. I was crouched behind them just waiting for them to hit so I could hopefully track it for them. We finished out to no other fanfare.

This is where I get mad for the first time. I'm seriously really upset here. My kids finish up and we go to take the clubs to the car. I drove by old bald guy that wanted a piece of me and I wave at him. He flicks me off and I hit the brakes on the cart.

No way, no how will I ever tolorate that-kids with me or not. That's crap and a total bad call on his part. I'd have gladly punched that stupid old grin off his old face right then. That's what I stopped the cart for and I told my boys to get the clubs in the car and be ready to go. They have a little experience in this area since I got tired of some a-hat telling me I should "get that f'in kid out of here" last winter. I asked him nicely once. I asked him nicely twice. The third time I told him I'd see him in the parking lot. He obliged. I'm not sure why he did since it wasn't even a fight. I hit him once, twice, done. He offered no resistance other than his mouth initially. I'm not even sure why it was a fight. I think he thought that I wouldn't do anything?? But I digress.

Anyways, being someone that doesn't take anyone's crap I was done with this old dude. If he had the courage to stick his middle finger up to a man, I have no compassion. Plot twist...

I'm getting ready to kick this guys ass. No doubt, that's what was about to happen. As I step into it, I hear a familiar voice, "stop it!!" What? I back off and so does he. The familiar voice happens to be my DA next door neighbor. I back down and so does the old bald guy I was about to.... well, I'll leave it to your imagination. I'm getting old and I don't really want to go there anymore. Whatever.

So as I'm standing down I hear my (insert not nice words!!) neighbor that I now recognize as such tell me to "calm down"!! What? I've been very calm the entire time. If I had to defend myself it's because some jerk takes it a notch above normal (all I ever said was "please hurry up so we don't run out of light")

Turns out he's the dude that held back the guy that thought about charging me. lol. But that would be a happy ending and I don't deal in those.

So we're having words afterwards and my "neighbor" thinks it would be a wise choice to tell MY KIDS that he'll be happy to give MY KIDS a golf etiquette lesson. I offered my hand to him even and basically told him "let's let this go". Nope. WTF?? He ignores me and again tells MY KIDS that he'll give THEM a golf etiquette lesson? Wtf?? Both of my kids could beat him playing one armed golf. Who TF does he think he is?

I was already going to have a conversation with him after he accused my middle boy of hitting a ball into his yard; he told him "this ain't no driving range, keep your balls out of my yard!!"

It was the little kids beside us. Colin hits his ball where it's supposed to go and that's that. If he did hit one over there, doesn't matter. He'd pick it up and move on. I no longer like this guy. I didn't have a serious issue with him until tonight. He's the creepy pervert that is your next door neighbor. I waited over 2 hours to talk to him tonight. Never came home.

I will talk to him VERY soon. I no longer like him nor do I have any respect for him.

At the courses I play on league’s have priority, I think you lost your cool here and lost perspective and you need to take a few days before doing anything else in this situation.

Same thing at my course - league matches etc have priority regardless of whether you are a single or a pair coming up behind them

As for the behaviour, personally I think it is disgraceful that you would be prepared to act like that in front of your kids - to me it says to them it is okay to act like that in life, let alone on a golf course

I think you need to realize that you have anger problems on the course. If you get that mad you should consider not playing. Unacceptable behavior in front of your kids and it does not teach them the ethics of golf and life.

Definitely didn’t see this coming whoa

Sounds like you need to calm down. Sure it sucks you caught up to the league and they were extremely slow but the fact that you have 1 fight under your belt and you almost got into it because someone gave you the finger in the parking lot says you have anger issues. Next time you get into a fight it might not go so well. Trust me I have seen it.
I also guard people at the prison who hit a guy in a bar fight 1 time and the guy dies from hitting his head. Now they are doing a very long sentence. This could be you. Time to grow up.

Seriously? You were with your KIDS and this is how You are TEACHING THEM TO ACT?

Maybe you shouldn't go out after a league and expect to get all the 9 holes in late in the day.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

The OP wrote "20 minute wait on the 7th tee, 20 minute wait on the 7th fairway, 20 minute wait on the 8th tee box".
I find it hard to believe it could take an hour to play a single hole.

I stopped at "league play"

Never, ever, get behind a league. Regardless. If I know the league went off the front, I will request to play the back. Or I just won't play. Hell ... I play in a league & I know it can be dreadfully slow. But some guys take it way too serious since you know they are playing for some high dollar amounts and have to hole everything out. (for another thread but I digress) Lesson learned.
Oh & tell your neighbor to .... well, kiss your arse where the sun don't shine. If he complains about balls in his yard, then he shouldn't be living on a golf course. (you do live on one, correct?)

It took the group in front of you 40 mins to play the hole?! Did I read that right? Instead of of going around them or going back to the first hole or even calling the shop. You decide to pick a fight in front of your kids by yelling at the group in front of you. Not sure I would have gone that route but that’s just me.

League play can certainly be slow and I'm one that is very particular about pace... But it sounds like you have some anger and embellishment issues... Because in all my years, I've never seen it take 40+ mins to play a hole. Calm your emotions and enjoy the time with your kids.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There's a whole lot of wrong from all angles with this one.

Sounds like you set an awesome example for your kids on the course. A lesson they'll take with them in the game forever.

Yes, that's sarcasm.

I'm genuinely curious- Was there no option to go around them, go replay a hole, call the course basically anything other than what you actually did? I mean you tried to pick a fight with a guy who flipped you off...C'mon man.

I can understand the part where you called out from the fairway to hurry up, I've done that before.
You lose me when you get bent right out of shape because some dumb dumb showed you his middle finger. Should have just smiled and waved one more time.

Smiter IS a good dude. I have benefited personally from his generosity. I have been in a couple of tense situations on the course and thankfully neither ended in a fist fight. Things can get out of hand quickly and its hard to think straight when your pissed off and there is some dude in your face. I wanted to point out Smiters good side before too many people pile on.

Smiter, you really put yourself out there on this one. I hope you can objectively look at the criticism aimed at your actions and see the ugly side other people are talking about. If you feel like you were in the wrong after sleeping on it you should first tell your boys you are human and make mistakes and then try to patch things up with your neighbor. Be the bigger person and apologize without getting into well he did this or he said that. I hope you can make amends quickly and your boys see you as a better person for doing so.

Smiter IS a good dude. I have benefited personally from his generosity. I have been in a couple of tense situations on the course and thankfully neither ended in a fist fight. Things can get out of hand quickly and its hard to think straight when your pissed off and there is some dude in your face. I wanted to point out Smiters good side before too many people pile on.

Smiter, you really put yourself out there on this one. I hope you can objectively look at the criticism aimed at your actions and see the ugly side other people are talking about. If you feel like you were in the wrong after sleeping on it you should first tell your boys you are human and make mistakes and then try to patch things up with your neighbor. Be the bigger person and apologize without getting into well he did this or he said that. I hope you can make amends quickly and your boys see you as a better person for doing so.

I have never seen this at all when I have been on a course. I am not saying it doesn't happen as it obviously does, but I have never experienced anything like this personally, and to let it get to that kind of level suggests, to me, that the people involved have issues of some kind or other

It always reminds me of the saying that if you want to know what someones character is really like, get them on a golf course

slow players are a pain, but I think you need to deal with your anger issues

I don't think any of us are questioning that, more just how this was handled. Not sure anyone here wants to see or be around that sort of situation on the course.

So this is how people lose fingers?

So this is how people lose fingers?

Or order Wendy’s and get extra ketchup.

My perspective is I get the frustration and I have a temper myself, but in front of my kids I try to set a better example. I know how hard it is to cool down when you’re amped up, but it’s just golf and it’s not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Personally I take note of when leagues are playing or when the course is busier and avoid playing with my girls to avoid waiting and avoid holding anyone up.

Hopefully you can be the bigger person here and let this one go. Maybe use this to teach the kids a lesson on how not to act and how to deal with idiots in the world because they will encounter these types of people on and off the course as they grow up.

I say fight them both. Wait in your neighbor's driveway and when he comes home from work, get him as he's getting out of his car. Make sure the kids are there to watch. Then, before he loses consciousness, get the name and address of the bald guy he was golfing with that flipped you off. You know what to do next... Load the kids in the car and drive to that cat's house and go to town. If he's got kids, have your kids beat up his kids.

I say fight them both. Wait in your neighbor's driveway and when he comes home from work, get him as he's getting out of his car. Make sure the kids are there to watch. Then, before he loses consciousness, get the name and address of the bald guy he was golfing with that flipped you off. You know what to do next... Load the kids in the car and drive to that cat's house and go to town. If he's got kids, have your kids beat up his kids.

giphy.gif

:clapp::laughing: I have to say I didn't expect that, that was funny

Who knows what the league group was up to... I've seen people take 30-40 min. to finish a hole because they're messing around, hammered, looking for balls, etc. I probably wouldn't have yelled to them, but that guy who was immediately ready to fight sounds like a nut.

I don't know why some people show up to the golf course just ready to throw down for anything. I'm finding more and more that some people are just lunatics. Knowing that, you've got to let it go, even though you're worked up in the moment.

Back