Most Controversial Topic In Golf Equipment?

Im going to say Cast v Forged. mainly because of the preconceived notion that cast doesnt feel as soft as forged, which is completely wrong. Especially as of late

I'm sure that Hogan is in business to turn a profit, but so far, they've been offering in return a useful product in a way that nobody else is doing. If that changes, then to hell with them as well.

Scratch wedges used to give the customer exactly what he/she wanted. Then they started making stock items and backed off on the extent to which they were willing to accommodate the custom-ordering consumer.

I requested wedges for an after work pitch and putt course league where there were no restrictions on grooves. They offered to give me the extreme grooves that I wanted only if I accepted raw, un-chromed clubs. That wasn't providing me what I wanted. Now they're liquidating.

Kenneth Smith gave players exactly what they wanted in woods, irons, and specialty clubs until metal woods came out. They could have used somebody like Ruger or the Zeider forge to offer all the customization that they had offered on persimmon and laminated maple woods. They did not, and they folded after more than a half-century of success as a custom builder.

The big OEMS will do what they do and get away with it until they don't. (MacGregor, Spalding, and Wilson were the BIG THREE when I took up golf. First Flight, PowerBilt, and Dunlop were major players. Lynx and Ram came in around the same time as Ping.)

The smaller companies like Hogan will succeed until they decide to become big companies with big company practices. Then it becomes a crap shoot, and they'll probably fail. Hell, eventually the big guys fold too.

Release schedules.

I'll go with limiting golf ball distances. I agree with a lot of people that it's the easiest thing to regulate to reduce the distance the pros hit balls and thus reducing the need to retrofit courses to fit the modern long game.

Along that same line of thought is having different regulations for pros vs amateurs. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't have a different set of rules for the pros, but I know a lot of people do.

Seems like the one to me that always gets people fired up with cast vs forged. It's almost like a religion for some and you can't convince them that cast can feel as good as forged, etc.

I am not sure which the most controversial topic is, but the Forged vs Cast sure does seem to get people all in a fuss.

It seems a lot of time is spent on release cycles. I doesn't bother me (I love new equipment) but I get buying a new driver only to see it reduced/replaced a few month later can be upsetting.

I also think shaft profiles, flexes, torque, and spin are always interesting. Since shaft companies have different standards for flex profiles, much is left to individual interpretation.

My first thought was CB/Blades and Cast /Forged because folks get so spun up on both sides and I've never understood why...but reading through the replies I'm thinking that it may be a tie with Release Cycles. I can at least understand why someone might get frustrated with the release cycles...but the whole CB/Blades thing is baffling to me.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

What is it and why?

Blades vs Cavity?
Cast vs Forged?
Release schedules?
Ball Compression?
Brand loyalty?
DOA Products?

Something totally different? What is the most controversial topic and why?

I have to go with the first three on your list. Why? Invariably, there is some level of butt-hurt from one side or the other.

Maybe we can just run them all together and see how the discussion goes regarding a company releasing their 3rd set, in 2 years, of cast blades. Obviously, more focus will be required to hit them, but they won't give the same level of feedback as the other company's forged blades that haven't had a new release in 3 seasons.

We should add the Cleveland Altitude irons to the list.

I've never seen a set of clubs cause so much anger, argument, whining, etc.

We should add the Cleveland Altitude irons to the list.

I've never seen a set of clubs cause so much anger, argument, whining, etc.

Along those lines, I'd add the concept of "growing into" or "outgrowing" a set of irons. Guaranteed to evoke strong feelings on each side, but that's sort of along the lines of blades/cavity.

For me it's release cycles, hands down. I think because I personally struggle to pick a side and flip flop like the wind.
On a similar note I find I'm growing tired of all the technological breakthroughs simply not working for me in a tangible way. While some tech is awesome and stands the test of time (cup face, e9, surefit) a lot of the new tech is here one day and gone the next.

Release cycles, and the butthurt they cause, just make me laugh. It's amazing how psyched someone can be about a driver when they buy it, and then how unhappy they become at the company that released that driver, because that company released a new driver, even though they also built and released the driver that they just bought and are happy with.

The oddest part is that people make a point of going out to buy the previous model year of cars, not only knowing a new model year will come out, but specifically because a new model year is coming out. Why is one something a person gets mad at while the other is something people look forward to?

I'd have to say it's a tie between cast vs forged and release schedules. Those two topics seem to generate the most emotion in my opinion.

People definitely get caught up debating release cycles, I'd have to say that is the most controversial aspect.

I suppose I should amend my selection from Release Schedule to a new option, 'Club Tech and Marketing Strategy'.

I could care less when and how many clubs are released. My issue surrounds the release, every club is better than the next. Does that indicate that the previous club sucks compared to the brand new club, or is it the marketing pitch to get consumers to buy something new and shiney when all that the OEM did was slap a new color or weighting system on the club.

I'd have to say it's a tie between cast vs forged and release schedules. Those two topics seem to generate the most emotion in my opinion.
You're still pissed because you have the SLDR in the bag even though they had the SLDR C available shortly thereafter.

You're still pissed because you have the SLDR in the bag even though they had the SLDR C available shortly thereafter.

I'm very distraught over that! :angry:

How could I forget belly putters.

How could I forget belly putters.

or the USGA/R&A overall. They seem to cause a lot of controversy

Release schedules
Then
Ball Compression
Then
Brand Loyalty

Lofts (drivers specifically) and the ego behind playing a higher/lower loft...

What about "Practicing with Blades makes you a better golfer" discussion?

I going to go with:

irons lofts
driver shaft lengths
spin and how it works or doesnt work in a golf swing.

Back