Srixon Z U85 Utility Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review Dan. The consistent flight and straight shots for accuracy off the tee is great to read.
Not being one to game a Utility this club interests me.

Srixon Z U85 Utility Review

Awesome write up. Going to follow along here as I’ve been looking for something to sit in between driver and 3 hybrid and I don’t get along with fairway woods (top city). This would almost be exclusively for off the tee on short par 4s, but your fairway success has me thinking it could be helpful in many areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up, being interested in a Hybrid replacement this review comes at a great time.

Do you feel these are geared more to a higher SS player to really get the most out of them? I also appreciate your comparison to the U65 as I was considered one of those as a test (for cheap) before taking the plunge on one of the new ones.

Really interested in giving this a shot, don't think I'll ever part with my Z65 series combo set (too purdy) and one (or 2) of these utility clubs would be perfect match. Also big benefit is one of the shaft choices is identical to shafts in my Srixon irons (Recoil 95).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This deserves a bump. Finally got around to reading this @Canadan and it was super well done.

The past couple months I've actually been playing a 4i in the bag and loving it for the versatility factor, I went back to hybrid there because I needed more launch, but I feel like it limits some of that versatility. Because of that, these popped into my head, a 4U could be a perfect stop-gap from my 20* hybrid into my 5i.

So. Quiet.

Maybe I can help with that, ordered a 23* to try out last week along with the F85. Will update thoughts when it comes in.

So. Quiet.

Maybe I can help with that, ordered a 23* to try out last week along with the F85. Will update thoughts when it comes in.

I ordered a 23* several weeks ago, waiting for it to come in to the course I ordered it from. Not sure what is taking so long, but guessing they must have pretty good sales on them if they are behind on custom orders.

Waiting for my 3 utility to come in. Can't wait. Might have a near full srixon/Cleveland bag

My U85 will be here Thursday it appears.

When I inevitably get fitted for the z585s, I will undoubtedly be purchasing a 23* u85.

For those wondering, I don't believe you need to have high SS to have great results with these utility irons. I messed around with a 20* u65 this past season, and I hit one of my best shots of the year, and my sweet spot for driver SS is in the mid-90s. Of the 4 shots I took with the u65, I was actually better off the fairway than the tee, because I was over-swinging off the tee and hit both thin (still something in the mid-100s and safely in the fairway). On approaches, I was 2/2 in greens. The second shot, and last approach of the day, was 185 to the flag, which sat on a highly-elevated green. On this hole, I usually club up 1 or 2 clubs, so the shot played about 200. I was somewhat worried I'd hit the ball into the side of the hill, but wanted to give it a run anyways. With a smooth swing, the ball jumped off the face (which I barely felt; it seriously felt like a practice swing), flew right at the flag, landed about 10-15 feet in front of the flag and rolled out maybe 6-8 feet past. The green does slope back to front, so I may have gotten more roll out on a flat green, which I did see on my other swing. That one I landed probably 5-10 feet in front of the green, and it rolled to the back, but I was 195 out in the rough, so I was very happy with that result too.

I really liked the u65 in the 20*, but I think a 23* would be perfect.

Last edited:
Today! Im excited!

Won’t be able to compare the 23 to the new NL HB until December, but I’m eager to get this into play now and see how it goes for me in that 4i gap.

Great review Dan, these utility clubs are nice to have in the bag, even if you're not a fantastic ball striker. I have found with my MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron I can use it from 160-200 out about like I would use a PW from 100-50 out in that I can change the length of my swing and the position of the ball and get a lot of different ball flights that travel on wire right where I aimed it.

The wait continues. 3 iron came in today with the wrong shaft. So, back to the factory and then hopefully to me in the next week or so. I kinda want to do a side by side with the 585. Both have the same face insert with 1020 body. Wonder how improved ball speeds are with the hollow construction.

So, I've had my 4 in play for a week now and I'm pretty smitten, its early, but smitten is there.

I still think at address I prefer the Fli-Hi look, but the power behind the U85 is legit, and it looks pretty sick in the golf bag (though the headcover is a sad little thing and way too close to iron HC's for me to use).

I can hammer it off the tee and deck, and I hope to get it on LM today to see some numbers. I also plan on getting #'s versus the Fli-Hi I forgot I have as well. :alien:

I went 4 U85 w stock recoil in F5 and 2* upright.

So, I've had my 4 in play for a week now and I'm pretty smitten, its early, but smitten is there.

I still think at address I prefer the Fli-Hi look, but the power behind the U85 is legit, and it looks pretty sick in the golf bag (though the headcover is a sad little thing and way too close to iron HC's for me to use).

I can hammer it off the tee and deck, and I hope to get it on LM today to see some numbers. I also plan on getting #'s versus the Fli-Hi I forgot I have as well. :alien:

I went 4 U85 w stock recoil in F5 and 2* upright.

How are you still liking this? What would be the difference in this 4i compared to say a 565 or 585 4i?

How would it differ say going 4-6 U85 and 785 7-PW compared to 4-6 585 and 785 7-PW?

...anyone else have thoughts on these? ^ see questions above

This is probably the best blend of hybrid playability and iron look I've used so far. This has an easy launch and quite a bit of spin for stopping power. Off the deck I'm getting playability and from the rough I dont have concerns.

Pros:
Easy launch
Amazing feel

Neutral:
High spin, good from rough and makes it playable for more people but not the longest driving iron

Cons:
Swingweight: steel stock length is 39.5" in 3 iron. Mine came in d6-d7. Feels powerful, but was a bit unexpected on it being that much. Recoil 95 should drop this to d4ish.

How are you still liking this? What would be the difference in this 4i compared to say a 565 or 585 4i?

How would it differ say going 4-6 U85 and 785 7-PW compared to 4-6 585 and 785 7-PW?

I should be able to have some 585 vs U85 4i thoughts for you soon!

Thanks guys. Look forward to your feedback @Jman

Thanks guys. Look forward to your feedback @Jman

Happy to help however I can.

I hit this versus my 4 Fli-Hi yesterday and while not apples to apples because the Fli-Hi has an iron length steel shaft in it, this one elevates easier for me off the deck, though it doesn't look nearly as compact/clean at address. I'll add, there is a truly powerful feeling at impact with this one, like the ball just leaps off the face.

Happy to help however I can.

I hit this versus my 4 Fli-Hi yesterday and while not apples to apples because the Fli-Hi has an iron length steel shaft in it, this one elevates easier for me off the deck, though it doesn't look nearly as compact/clean at address. I'll add, there is a truly powerful feeling at impact with this one, like the ball just leaps off the face.

Yes, that's my main question here. Is they offer 4-6 in these so what advantages are there to go that route instead of 585 4-6 785 7-PW lets say?

Yes, that's my main question here. Is they offer 4-6 in these so what advantages are there to go that route instead of 585 4-6 785 7-PW lets say?

I'm curious myself, because really with the 585 I would blend them into the 785 eventually anyways because of how I play the 7-PW, so hitting them side by side to see will be fun. I think (total prediction) that distance will be closer than anticipated between the two, and the 585 has a MUCH more "traditional" and compact look than the u85 does...its got some junk in the trunk for sure.

I'm curious myself, because really with the 585 I would blend them into the 785 eventually anyways because of how I play the 7-PW, so hitting them side by side to see will be fun. I think (total prediction) that distance will be closer than anticipated between the two, and the 585 has a MUCH more "traditional" and compact look than the u85 does...its got some junk in the trunk for sure.

Gotcha. Look forward to your feedback.

Gotcha. Look forward to your feedback.

Just got back from some GC2 time and got some head to head with this and the 585 4i.

Before I post any numbers or thoughts, anyone care to venture any guesses on the head to head?

Back