Skytrak golf site now up, $$$ ?????

Not to get off topic.. Too Late... I love the Cure. It looks like a metal detector but as long as it detects the bottom of the hole I am cool with it. If it said Cameron on it everyone would have it in the bag. It is a great idea. If you do not like. You can change it. Let me know of the st8 shaft works out.
Will do. Back on topic.

Received the case today. I have read a review or two saying they should have lined it with foam...so I was expecting to have to do some modification to it. Mine came with four foam discs to help cushion each side...so I'm not sure adding foam is really necessary. Overall I agree it's overpriced at $129, but worth getting it in the package deal. Included is a template to help install the level in the exact location....not necessary but a nice small touch. You could also see in the picture how long the screws for the legs are.

I agree ... I am fine with the case. I like the level feature as well . I have been more concerned with balls rebounding into the unit than a shank.. Spinning balls to wild stuff indoors !!!

I have made a grid for lining up the laser alignment that works great. I will shoot a video over the long holiday and post it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added some extra foam discs on the sides. Probably overkill, but now all four sides are cushioned.

I wish they included the target distance in this.
6f00985c26997ab827932f7665b27e4c.jpg

I forgot to mention that the challenges are pretty fun. I hope ST eventually provides additional options (trees, water) but it's enough to keep me entertained for now.

I am having a blast with the SkyTrak.
Been working on wedges quite a bit. Spin Rates Per Yard are improving and starting it on line pretty nicely.
Hopefully this translates to the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GFp-2FABg

Guys know if they're going to improve on the current shot tracking delay?

Guys know if they're going to improve on the current shot tracking delay?

I have not heard. Not even sure if that is possible..I have no issue with the delay. I try to feel the shot and guess the flight..

I have not heard. Not even sure if that is possible..I have no issue with the delay. I try to feel the shot and guess the flight..

And you're pretty darn good at that! Still mind blown how accurate this thing is with the irons and wedges, all the way down to my chip in!

(shameless plug)

I have yet to chip in... Close but no cigar!!!

I have yet to chip in... Close but no cigar!!!

I was as excited as real life.

Maybe some prospective Team Michigan guys can get together and have some fun sometime (I know we have 2 guys with systems in the same county!)

Was hoping for some decent weather to take it for some outdoor testing. Have a nice park next to me for some wedge tests.

New member here... Been doing a lot of research on Skytrak and genuinely appreciate all the info I've gotten from this forum just by browsing through... Has anyone tried to use the iPhone 5 to run the software? If so, how bad is the lag if there is one ? I'm so close to buying the unit but can't afford to buy an iPad with it. I plan on using screen mirroring with my iPhone 5s

New member here... Been doing a lot of research on Skytrak and genuinely appreciate all the info I've gotten from this forum just by browsing through... Has anyone tried to use the iPhone 5 to run the software? If so, how bad is the lag if there is one ? I'm so close to buying the unit but can't afford to buy an iPad with it. I plan on using screen mirroring with my iPhone 5s

It was pretty slow for me.

I haven't tried it on an iPhone 5s. But I use it with my iPad Air....and I don't think the lag is excessive at all.

Thanks, I guess I'll wait for the android app before I make the purchase ...

You might be waiting for a very long time then. There are no plans for any new platforms for the software. iOS and Windows is it.

I think it's really time to sit down and put some thoughts on the forum about my experiences with SkyTrak over the last few months, which has been on loan to me in order to improve my knowledge about the clubs I review. The short response I'll give, as it stands, is that I lack the basic confidence required to utilize a unit of this nature during months where golfing on course/open range is a viable option. I am posting this because quite a few have asked for my input, but I have spent most of my sessions unsure of the results, and continued my attempts at better understanding the 'what' and 'why' rather than jumping to conclusions.

First, the setup. It was fairly simple at first, lock the iPad into the SkyTrak device using the wi-fi feature, and wait patiently on the SkyTrak title screen for the unit to sync. Then, a simple selection of practice (my preference) brings up the range screen and away you go. Recently, an update now has the device 'reading licenses' in yellow as an additional wait while the device syncs, which apparently dictates what features will be available to the user.

In a recent update, they now have three packages.

- A basic package that lets you hit balls on the driving range and see in real time the results. That's it, that's all.
- A "Game Improvement" package that allows you to utilize a variety of the features (some of which I'd been using for the last few months without the package like session history and club compare).
- And finally, the play and improve package that let's the user play golf courses using WGT.

Basic is free, Game Improvement is 99.95 a year, and play and improve is 199.95 a year.

Functionality

When it comes to the device performance, there are a number of requirements needed to make sure the device can function "properly" including the proper angle of device + golfer aim location, the dead accurate height between ball location and SkyTrak device, and location of the ball before hitting (seems to be just barely in front). If any of these elements are wrong, you're probably going to spend a while trying to figure out why the reporting is strange -- Ask AMart what it's like to hit a 6 iron as far as a 3 wood for an hour straight if you want a case study.

To the overall performance of the unit, I think there's some work to be done, although I can't say with absolute certainty that the device isn't accurate. A sample of this would be altering the loft from 9.5 to 12.5 degrees with the recent Wilson driver review I completed. Fortunately I focused a majority of my thoughts on outdoor visual testing, as there was a very visual launch angle difference between 9.5 and 12.5 degrees, despite the SkyTrak only representing a change of about 2 degrees at most. While I do not still have the images to reference the total spin differential, I recall it being marginal at best, which seems quite impossible. The swing speed in total I cannot really offer insight on, however I did hit some 95mph 7 irons today that I'd be willing to disagree with.

In total, I just don't have full confidence in the reporting that the SkyTrak is producing in total. It has been more enjoyable to watch iron flighting, and I think the unit does a nice job between the PW-4 iron or so, but my confidence goes out the window when you go much further than that. The fact that units like these are being produced is a big step in the right direction for golf enthusiasts who want a bit more out of their season and golf game, but I think there's some room for improvement before these can become 'absolute' when it comes to reporting shot information.

By comparison to some of the 7k, 10k, or even 20k units, the SkyTrak is a steal for the reporting it does, but there is a notable difference between casual shot tracking and robust shot reporting. The price tends to make sense of that fact. Potential buyers must also consider that if you want anything more than a shot to shot reporting tool, you're going to need to spend some money each year. Something that really shocked me when i logged in today and couldn't use the features I'd familiarized myself with. An interesting move to say the least, although not terribly surprising considering the SkyGolf design in total.

I'll be happy to share any additional thoughts if you think I didn't touch on something.

Good write up. I've had my eye on this for a while, did they say if/when windows support will be coming?

Great write up Dan and one that I was waiting for.

Good write up. I've had my eye on this for a while, did they say if/when windows support will be coming?

Windows has been supported for quite some time now. It is iOS and Windows only. No OS X, and no Android.

I think it's really time to sit down and put some thoughts on the forum about my experiences with SkyTrak over the last few months, which has been on loan to me in order to improve my knowledge about the clubs I review. The short response I'll give, as it stands, is that I lack the basic confidence required to utilize a unit of this nature during months where golfing on course/open range is a viable option. I am posting this because quite a few have asked for my input, but I have spent most of my sessions unsure of the results, and continued my attempts at better understanding the 'what' and 'why' rather than jumping to conclusions.

First, the setup. It was fairly simple at first, lock the iPad into the SkyTrak device using the wi-fi feature, and wait patiently on the SkyTrak title screen for the unit to sync. Then, a simple selection of practice (my preference) brings up the range screen and away you go. Recently, an update now has the device 'reading licenses' in yellow as an additional wait while the device syncs, which apparently dictates what features will be available to the user.

In a recent update, they now have three packages.

- A basic package that lets you hit balls on the driving range and see in real time the results. That's it, that's all.
- A "Game Improvement" package that allows you to utilize a variety of the features (some of which I'd been using for the last few months without the package like session history and club compare).
- And finally, the play and improve package that let's the user play golf courses using WGT.

Basic is free, Game Improvement is 99.95 a year, and play and improve is 199.95 a year.

Functionality

When it comes to the device performance, there are a number of requirements needed to make sure the device can function "properly" including the proper angle of device + golfer aim location, the dead accurate height between ball location and SkyTrak device, and location of the ball before hitting (seems to be just barely in front). If any of these elements are wrong, you're probably going to spend a while trying to figure out why the reporting is strange -- Ask AMart what it's like to hit a 6 iron as far as a 3 wood for an hour straight if you want a case study.

To the overall performance of the unit, I think there's some work to be done, although I can't say with absolute certainty that the device isn't accurate. A sample of this would be altering the loft from 9.5 to 12.5 degrees with the recent Wilson driver review I completed. Fortunately I focused a majority of my thoughts on outdoor visual testing, as there was a very visual launch angle difference between 9.5 and 12.5 degrees, despite the SkyTrak only representing a change of about 2 degrees at most. While I do not still have the images to reference the total spin differential, I recall it being marginal at best, which seems quite impossible. The swing speed in total I cannot really offer insight on, however I did hit some 95mph 7 irons today that I'd be willing to disagree with.

In total, I just don't have full confidence in the reporting that the SkyTrak is producing in total. It has been more enjoyable to watch iron flighting, and I think the unit does a nice job between the PW-4 iron or so, but my confidence goes out the window when you go much further than that. The fact that units like these are being produced is a big step in the right direction for golf enthusiasts who want a bit more out of their season and golf game, but I think there's some room for improvement before these can become 'absolute' when it comes to reporting shot information.

By comparison to some of the 7k, 10k, or even 20k units, the SkyTrak is a steal for the reporting it does, but there is a notable difference between casual shot tracking and robust shot reporting. The price tends to make sense of that fact. Potential buyers must also consider that if you want anything more than a shot to shot reporting tool, you're going to need to spend some money each year. Something that really shocked me when i logged in today and couldn't use the features I'd familiarized myself with. An interesting move to say the least, although not terribly surprising considering the SkyGolf design in total.

I'll be happy to share any additional thoughts if you think I didn't touch on something.
I have to say, I'm really not impressed with the unit from what I've heard. I know that will ruffle some feathers, and I know they are trying to improve it, but its a miss for what I need/want in a unit. Though, I do put it though different rigors I suppose.

Great write up Dan.

Back