Advice for practice setup

rayuki

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys chasing a bit of advice on my practice setup i have in my garage. I've currently been hitting off this thin bit of artificial grass but after about 300 or so shots my wrists are just destroyed. So I went ahead and got this off cut of some really good professional grade stuff (was all I could afford was this little square) however I didn't expect it to be so thick so now I'm hitting off a lie that's a bit above me.
af003289611182da2e61c7009565e0c2.jpg

Any suggestions on what I should do here? I'm guessing hitting from this position all the time is going to be detrimental to my game in the long run? Am I better off just hitting off the thin piece and just limiting my shots. I was planning on just sticking this bit of grass to the concrete but even then it's pretty high up of a lie. Should I just bite the bullet and get a bigger matt that I can stand on as well as hit from lol.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Lay a few 2 by 4s down, make sure they wont move then stand on that maybe.

Lay a few 2 by 4s down, make sure they wont move then stand on that maybe.

yeah i had thought of that to make me level with the grass but the thought of them sliding and going ass up makes me nervous lol. i suppose i could always build a little platform the same height.

See if you can't pick up a scrap of carpet padding, or maybe some of those interlocking foam pads and lay that under your practice mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I don't like the idea that you're hitting off a substrate of concrete. Get something softer between the turf and the concrete, if there's a pine wood plywood of say, 3/4 inch. Get around 3 or 4 sheets of that, then cut a hole in one layer and embed your turf, and you can hit off the plywood so you'll be level with the ball. Maybe you'll need a bigger piece of turf.

The ideal iron shot requires a divot, I don't see how you're going to ingrain that kind of shot thinking about the concrete.

I had the same problem with my swing - afraid to take a divot.

Also, I don't know what you're hitting out to. It would be great if you could see the ball trajectory, because you'll need to tweak your swing based on how your ball flies.

Maybe hitting the range is a better idea.

just get a hammer gun (Hilti) and chisel out the floor and drop the piece in. This way it wont go flying away on every strike either. Or you could raise the entire house a little except for that one spot.

Just kidding of course with all of that :)

But I hear ya. That good quality matting material is a small fortune. And I too at one time considered buying some so I can hit balls at the park near my house without chewing up the grass and also give me a good place to stand etc.....One of my issues was also that it doesn't make sense to be below the ball so a piece large enough to stand on would be required and hence the issue - that its a lot of money I know. But in the end still much cheaper than the range in the long run.

For your situation I would also imagine that small piece will probably be flying away with most ball strikes. Unless somehow glued down. But the obvious answer as for standing level with the ball is to have something stable (of course large enough) underfoot so that its sturdy and balanced while also elevated to ball height. Ply wood , pieces of carpet squares, whatever is large enough that you can build up a decent platform to work from. Even a full size but much cheaper mat or two just for sake of standing on them and then put that square off the end of it. Good Luck

I used my piece of turf as a template and cut holes in two pieces of carpet scrap. Stack carpet, insert turf. Works pretty well so far. I do have to adjust the carpet every so often.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451837458.471830.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451837489.156725.jpg

Before I got a decent 3x5 piece of turf I was going to use one of those 4x8 sheets of foam insulation we were using in our cabin build. Assumed a thin piece of turf with cushioning would work fine.

Before I got a decent 3x5 piece of turf I was going to use one of those 4x8 sheets of foam insulation we were using in our cabin build. Assumed a thin piece of turf with cushioning would work fine.

I think I am going to try this next, the foam board should hold the turf in place even better than the carpet.

For me, I don't like the idea that you're hitting off a substrate of concrete. Get something softer between the turf and the concrete, if there's a pine wood plywood of say, 3/4 inch. Get around 3 or 4 sheets of that, then cut a hole in one layer and embed your turf, and you can hit off the plywood so you'll be level with the ball. Maybe you'll need a bigger piece of turf.

The ideal iron shot requires a divot, I don't see how you're going to ingrain that kind of shot thinking about the concrete.

I had the same problem with my swing - afraid to take a divot.

Also, I don't know what you're hitting out to. It would be great if you could see the ball trajectory, because you'll need to tweak your swing based on how your ball flies.

Maybe hitting the range is a better idea.
Im hitting into a net i made that goes along the garage door. Also have a swing caddy 2 to get stats from so yeah i can see trajectory but yeah i do suffer from the failure to take a divot as I've noticed when actually gaming i am more inclined to pick the shot off the ground rather then take a divot. I've been looking at this fairway pro divot simulator http://www.amazon.com/FairwayPro-Divot-Simulator-Golf-Mat/dp/B002CXMT7K for a while now. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews and should hopefully be better for my practice in the garage compared to what I'm doing currently.

Rubber garage flooring should work. It won't cost much more than plywood and will last forever. They interlock and you could probably leave a square out to put your heavy duty mat into to get it level with your older, thinner mat.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Garage-Flooring/N-5yc1vZb97t
Thanks this looks great. I'm in Australia but im sure somewhere like bunnings will have something similar.

Back