Shot shapes. Do you change yours or play just one?

I have been lately with my driver, just trying to play the shot that a hole gives me. Every other club I basically just try to play a stock shot and stay within my own skill set.

With my irons, I have the ability to make the ball move right or left when I ask it to. I do not have the ability to predict how much right or left it will go, if at all. Give me 5 balls on the range and I can dial in a fade or draw to just about any target, on the course, that means I have an 80% of something bad happening.

With the driver, no way. Just give me a stock shot and come what may.

I am perfectly capable of working the ball both ways, and constantly work to do so. Even in my range work, I'm always hitting a combination of draws and fades.

Now, my execution is not always perfect. Generally my big miss is a pull when I was trying to hit a fade.

I can shape it but the swing needs to be on or i get into trouble

I can play all of the shot shapes, fade, draw, straight, slice, hook, straight up and straight down... I just can't control when any of them happen... :banghead:

For my driver, I play whatever the hole and yardage dictates, as best I can. In respect to my irons I typically play straight trajectory to a slight draw for each shot. For the life of me my fade shot is just so inconsistent I rarely play unless I am getting out of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My normal shot is straight or a push/fade. Want to try to incorporate a draw with irons but always get worried I'll hit it dead straight or hook. Going straight isn't bad as long as a straight miss still keeps me in a good spot.

Only if I absolutely have to.

I don't know of any player who intentionally rotates shapes from shot to shot throughout a round.
For example, Jack Nicklaus played a fade his entire career. Only when he was out of position, such as within the trees, would he play a right to left shot.
Changing shot shape just because a dog leg tee shot moves one way, or the hole location is on a particular side of the green, causes problems and is not necessary.

I don't know of any player who intentionally rotates shapes from shot to shot throughout a round.
For example, Jack Nicklaus played a fade his entire career. Only when he was out of position, such as within the trees, would he play a right to left shot.
Changing shot shape just because a dog leg tee shot moves one way, or the hole location is on a particular side of the green, causes problems and is not necessary.

You've seen Bubba Watson play golf, right?

You've seen Bubba Watson play golf, right?

Only on television, never live. I understand Bubba is known for playing lots of curve, but did not know he rotates from left-to-right on some shots to right-to-left for other shots.

Only on television, never live. I understand Bubba is known for playing lots of curve, but did not know he rotates from left-to-right on some shots to right-to-left for other shots.

Bit crazy at work this morning, so I couldn't dig as much as I wanted to, but there have been some really good discussions with him about how he likes to move the ball around. Here's the best I could find in about 3 minutes of searching.

https://www.pgatour.com/instruction/2014/04/15/tip-from-travis-bubba-watson-draw-fade.html

In my mind, I'm hitting a controlled shot for whatever is needed.

Reality dictates otherwise...

Unless absolutely needed I play the same shape every time. I can't say the shot decides to go the same way I want it to, but I at least try!

No, I don't try to move the ball. I just try to hit it as straight as I can. It might fade, it might draw. (Or slice/hook.)

I’d posit a large percentage of the pros can and often do work the ball both ways. If a shot allows for either shape they may play their preferred, or if they’re really struggling with a particular shape they may abandon it for that day, but they certainly can do it.

I’d like to see some data backing up the assertion that changing shot shapes causes trouble.

I mostly play a draw that can turn into a hook at a moments notice. I can certainly fade the ball without too much issue but I tend to have a hard time controlling the start line so it is tough to control. It’s a work in progress but is fun to work the ball when it works out.

Just one... off the tee I hit a mid launch draw, it's something I wanted and struggled with all of my older drivers until I switched to the Rogue with an Oban Isawa at 44 inches. The shortened shaft and fit gave me more confidence and I went from losing balls right to hitting 80% of my fairways. This is a lovely club and the fitting really helped me.

Irons ... I can only hit a baby draw. Sometimes they go straight and I end right of greens but I cannot hit a cut to save my life since I switched irons.

I generally try to play a very small draw. I tend to balloon anything that's going left to right. One of my favorite shots is to TRY to hit a big sweeping hook with a long iron. I hit one to perfection a while back getting home on a par 5 in 2 and going around a tree in front of me. I probably hooked it 60+ yards. I could hit that shot 20 times and probably not pull it off again.

Anyone else wait to see what's going on with a warmup up/range session to determine what shot shapes they are hitting that day? :D :laughing:

#IDo

Anyone else wait to see what's going on with a warmup up/range session to determine what shot shapes they are hitting that day? :D :laughing:

#IDo

Yup. This is what I have today and were rolling with it

#IDo
What's a warmup haha?

I usually play a slight fade, but on certain holes I'll play a draw, especially par 5's where I want more roll out.

Back