Shot shapes. Do you change yours or play just one?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Easy question, do you attempt to play different shot shapes during a round or do you only play your standard shot?

I play with what swing I came with that particular day. If I'm hitting a fade on the range .... I play the fade. If I'm hitting the draw (which is pretty much never these days) ... I'm playing that. I don't fight the swing or the shot. I play to my "strengths" HA!

El naturale.

Whatever it is on the range that day, I will play it. No stock shape that carries over day to day.

Generally try and play a slight fade off the tee, but draw my irons. Just sort of what has become comfortable over the past two-three years. I don't change that during a round unless it's absolutely necessary, ie: go around something.

Mostly no, but if I attempt one it’s a draw because my natural shot is a left to right flight and I’ve learned to turn a cut into a fade if the shot requires.

I try to play a straight ball but that does lot always happen. The only time I try to move the ball is when i am punching out of trouble etc.

I play with what swing I came with that particular day. If I'm hitting a fade on the range .... I play the fade. If I'm hitting the draw (which is pretty much never these days) ... I'm playing that. I don't fight the swing or the shot. I play to my "strengths" HA!

Dance with the girl that got you there. I'm not good enough to shape anything even clay. So depending on what's working or not that's what I run with and pray it works.

I usually a play a draw and my miss is a hook, I will try to exagerate the hook if this is needed and if the draw doesn't put me in too much trouble.

I will never try to play a fade, unless we are playing a scramble and I'm trying the hero shot

Play a fade with all but if I can't go over something I MAY try to turn an iron over with about a 10% success rate.

For irons and hybrids, I play whatever swing shows up on the range that day. I have 4 driver swings that I try to use for differently shaped holes, but usually only 1-2 of them are working for me on any give day.

I try to hit it as straight as possible 99% of the time.

When I was playing my best, I could move it both ways on demand with 80-90% success. Nowadays, I hit and hope I don't double cross myself.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Generally try and play a slight fade off the tee, but draw my irons. Just sort of what has become comfortable over the past two-three years. I don't change that during a round unless it's absolutely necessary, ie: go around something.

Word for word, exactly my answer

I don't move the ball a ton, I can play a fade pretty easy and can control it. I hit a small draw with the driver.

i love trying to shape the ball. it rarely works out as well as just hitting it straight, but it's fun.

i love trying to shape the ball. it rarely works out as well as just hitting it straight, but it's fun.

I always attempt to hit straight... I either hit a fade, or play a fade and the dreaded straight ball into a lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play my fade for the most-part, mainly because I put a pretty big dent in that BS that you cant hit a fade a long way.

That said, with irons and wedges I will 100% work it both ways.

If it goes right, it's a fade. If it goes left, it's a draw. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mostly a fade with the driver and draw with everything else. I will usually only hit a fade with an iron if I have to or if a pin is tucked hard right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My shot shape is naturally a draw, which I am trying hard to adjust to a fade. I played the latter during my high school years, when I played my best golf. A draw kind of naturally developed over time (for some reason), and I'd love to eliminate the left side of the course.

My shot shape is naturally a draw, which I am trying hard to adjust to a fade. I played the latter during my high school years, when I played my best golf. A draw kind of naturally developed over time (for some reason), and I'd love to eliminate the left side of the course.

I was in the same situation - I had a draw show up out of nowhere for a year or so. I'm back playing my fade again, and I find it's a much more playable shot. If I get a bit loose and the fade is a bit worse than usual, I find the effects aren't as bad as the over-draws.

I don't move the ball a ton, I can play a fade pretty easy and can control it. I hit a small draw with the driver.

Can I have your swing then? :act-up:

Not good enough to play the shot shape I have, let alone try to get fancy and introduce another variable into my game. :p

Easy question, do you attempt to play different shot shapes during a round or do you only play your standard shot?

Luckily for me, my standard shot consists of every shot shape under the sun so I don't have to choose.

Back