THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Here is who I've seen interest from in no certain order:

Crest4 (not sure why it isn't Caps out in four)
Mizunofan (forged or cast)
Emart (Cause Walmart was copyrighted)
CAA_Beat (Knees of steel)
Bigball. (Beat's Blue)
Lynchburg14 (Uniroyal flipper)
ChristopherKee
Molten (wearing his patent leathers)
Tbanks5 (as long its banks not bags)
Golfinnut (Spaklers revenge)
JohnsinVA (norm Abrams twin)
Sanzabar (keeping that on the down low)
Dblbogey (although the name frightens me)
Kutros (cause that's how I roll)
UVAWahoo (Wahoo, a fish that drinks twice its own bodyweight)

Who am I missing from the DMV.

JonD (D stands for D'Annunzio) has expressed interest but I believe is out of pocket for the time being.

2aa188d328726fc9a16efab59712e208.jpg

Got the course to myself today all alone out here practicing in the rain

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That's cool buddy, but let's not make this a "catch all thread". Share it with the entire forum. Not many will roll through this thread. It's not in their back yard kind of thing.

Have ever played in a team event?
I've played in a number of captain's choice as well as scramble events, but most of the team golf I've played is two man. Member guest tourney at my neighborhood club, match play 9-hole league for the last few years, and a couple of THP invitationals.

What makes you an asset to the entire team?
I'm generally a positive and encouraging person when it comes to competition. My league partner can get down on himself sometimes (who doesn't), so I understand the need for an encouraging voice. From a playing perspective, while I may not be the best golfer out there, I won't leave anything on the course.

What do you look for from a playing partner?
I look for players with a competitive spirit, but most importantly I look for someone who can keep their cool when the round isn't going their way. Past that, I'm looking for someone that has a positive attitude and is fun to play with.
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?​
Touched on this a bit above, but I try to keep a positive energy going on the course, especially during competition, because we all know that it isn't over until it's over. I'm a believer in collaboration when it makes sense and am always willing to work together when the format allows it. I'm generally a realist about my game so if me going before someone else to give them a look at a line or to let them make an A player decision based on my results is what needs to be done, then so be it.​
What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
Shot my PB of 87, twice this year. Wanted to go lower, but can't be upset about setting a new PB.

What is your biggest strength in the game?
Probably my mid-to-low iron striking.
A. What do you do to maintain it.​
Honestly, usually just keep playing golf. However I've started to develop a hook miss with everything so this year there will be more lessons, as well as range time. While my job doesn't always allow me time off when I can get to the range, I'm going to re-assert myself to get to the range at least once a week, outside of my time before/after rounds of golf.​

What is the biggest weakness in your game?
Consistency & short game. I've been so up and down lately that I'm not sure which golfer will show up. I've also developed a chunk miss which hasn't helped anything.
A. What is your plan to overcome it
Practice and some tune up lessons. It's the only way I know how. I have found a few short game practice areas locally that are pretty decent, so hoping to utilize those more.​
B. How will you know you've been successful?
When my scores normalize and my strokes lost to chunked shots start going down.

Do you prefer to practice or play
Play for sure, but practice has it's place for sure. Honestly not something I do enough of. Planning to change that in 2016.

What is your handicap index.
15-16.

What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?
12-13

•Have you ever played a team event? Several over the past couple of years, including a league where I became the defacto team captain
•What makes you an asset to the entire team? Positive attitude and energy, humor, and honesty about my game and how it is going, knowledge of the game, and having a good time no matter what!
•What do you look for in a playing partner? Support, humor, encouragement…….and scold beverage!
•What do you have to offer a playing partner? Being a cheerleader, hole strategy,silence when needed, and a cold beverage
•What was your biggest accomplishment with your game in 2015? Shooting 84 five times a 15 months after shoulder surgery, and helping a friend through cancer treatment by dragging him to the course
•What is your biggest strength in the game? Short game and chipping around the green
•What do you do to maintain it? Practice everywhere, even in my classroom
•What is the biggest weakness in your game? Hulk smash of the tee leading to drives going everywhere (hence the good recovery/short game)
•What is your plan to overcome it? I am working with a music teacher who is a single digit on tempo and rhythm. Starting to see improvement, but it will come down to practice, practice, practice
•How will you know you have been successful? I am aiming for 70% fairways
•Do you prefer to practice or play? Love both, practice is often easier to find time to do but clubs are always in the car!
•What is your handicap index? 17.2 (Golfshot) but was playing of of 4-6 during league this year
•What is your goal for your handicap this year? Not sure, want to see all around improvement and more consistent scoring, and avoid injuries keeping me off the course

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

~ Have ever played in a team event?

Played in the Grandaddy this year

~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?

I will work hard for the team and will give the team my all. I will keep the mood light and will not bring anyone on the team down with my attitude

~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
Someone that is out there to have a good time. It's golf at the end of the day and as much as I want to win having fun is more important to me. I want someone that will talk and just be relaxed. Someone who will play their game and let's the chips fall where they may

A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
Exactly what I look for in a playing partner. Golf is fun for me and that is what I want to have while I am on the course. I have shared rounds with serious players and at the end of the round I was miserable. It's golf and golf is fun

~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.

Just becoming more consistent with my game and breaking 90

~ What is your biggest strength in the game?

I would say my wedge game. Very confident and comfortable with a wedge

A. What do you do to maintain it.

Just keep working on it at the range and making sure I stay aggressive with my swing

~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
My tee game
A. What is your plan to overcome it
Work on it at the range and get some lessons
B. How will you know you've been successful?
Once I have no fear on a tee box.

~ Do you prefer to practice or play
Play. I practice normally when I can't get a round in but really want to get some swings in

~ What is your handicap index.
Around a 18 at the moment, got to a 16 but then lost my driver swing and my scores got higher

~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

I would love to be around a 10-12

And you should throw your name in. I would partner with you anyday and twice on Sunday. Not because you're always in the fairway but because playing with you at Old Hickory is easily among the most fun day's I've had on the course that I can recall.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the Old Hickory outing was a fun day, we did have a good time, didn't we. If I recall that may have been the round where my mishit ended up going in the hole. Unfortunately, I didn't see it go in, because I thought I had put it in the bunker. I purposefully never aim at a flag behind a bunker. Definitely a case of being lucky as opposed to good and we did have some laughs over it.

Last edited:
Kevin that list is crazy funny. You auctioning for a new career as Fallon's writer. :D

So ready to get the new year started and start my work toward becoming a member of Team MD/VA/DC

Yes several including two Ryder Cup Style Formats The Potomac Cup pitting VA vs. MD in 54 holes of several different formats. Also a local area Capital Cup pitting teams of 12 against each other in Alternate Shot/Foursomes/Singles. Three THP 2 Man events where I got to learn from some of the best players on THP

~ What makes you an asset to the entire team? I want to win and will do everything in power to and to help my teammates. Above that I want to finish First In Fun, regardless of the outcome of the matches, the fun will be remembered much longer.

~ What do you look for from a playing partner?Someone that will help keep me focused. I like encouragment but not a polyanna. If I hit the worst shot he's ever seen, I won't him to feel comfortable saying to me. Brother, WTF, get your head back in it and go get this next shot.

- What do you have to offer a playing partner The willingness to do pretty much the same as above, but will also ask them what they want in way of feedback from me, little talk, lots of talk, stay out of the way..etc

~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game? Playing pain free and being able to get through 18 holes or more.

~ What is your biggest strength in the game? Putting, for the most part it's very solid, and at times can be downright deadly.
A. What do you do to maintain it? I've been told by more than one instructor, I have a very natural stroke and feel. That said, I will practice it a lot more this year to get even better.

~
What is the biggest weakness in your game? Length off the tee, barely reach 220 on most days.
A. What is your plan to overcome it? Work on flexibility and motion, and get instruction advice and follow it.
B. How will you know you've been successful? When I'm not the first in the group to hit approach shots.

~ Do you prefer to practice or play? Definitely Play, but I plan to come up with a practice plan this year that will be enjoyable and do more of it.

~ What is your handicap index? Ended 2014 at 20.1 Didn't keep one this year but will restart it in 2016

~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016? A 13 that travels and remembering that being able to play to it as often as the USGA system says you should, so what 1 out of 4 rounds.

Working on my answers now but no access to a laptop and trying to do all this is Tapatalk is a pain. Hopefully I will get them posted tomorrow night.

Working on my answers now but no access to a laptop and trying to do all this is Tapatalk is a pain. Hopefully I will get them posted tomorrow night.
Myself included. I will have to wait until Monday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No doubt, doing it on TT would be a mess, I had to wait until this afternoon when I had a few minutes and was at the big boy keyboard.

Yes, I have played in 2 team events both THP Invitationals Atlantic City and Ocean City. I have also played in numerous team events with my friends in best ball competitions those see obviously very informal.

I would be an asset to the team because I will bring a positive attitude and always support my team mates. I grew up playing team sports my whole life and learned so much about what it means to be a great team mate and also what it looks line to be a great team mate. I will also be a sounding board for my team mates that need to vent or talk things out both golf related and personal.

I am looking for someone that is supportive, positive and flexible. I want them to be able to read the situation we are in and make a decision based on what they view to be the best course of action at *that moment. This requires that they are aware and in the present moment. If I need words of encouragement say them, if I need a look to get a point across do it, and if they see that I need to figure something out on my own say nothing. All about awareness.

*A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?

I can offer the things I mentioned above because I will be a team mate that is aware and present in the moment to provide the best feedback to get the most out of my team mate. I am a positive person and take that attitude to the course.

~ What was your biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.

I practiced more than I had in any year that I have been playing golf. Due to family obligations I wasn't always able to play as much as I would have liked *so I took my opportunities to practice.

I volunteer for a Junior Golf team at my home course and this allowed to me to take my love of this game and teach basics to children. This is something that I really enjoy and take a lot of pride in. I am strictly a volunteer so I do not do any swing adjustments or teaching to the kids, we have a Pro for that. I am there to help these kids learn the game and the proper way to act and carry themselves on the course. We went from dead last the previous 2 seasons to 2nd place this past season. That was extremely satisfying.

Scrambling and course management

I have changed my perspective to playing each round and it has allowed me to play smarter and therefore be a better all around player. I also know my distances and abilities and that allows me to play a shot I feel comfortable in with results that I can be pretty confident in.

~ What is the biggest weakness *in your game?

Putting is a relative weakness and it is due to lack of practice. I need to practice and putt to do it well consistently.
*A. What is your plan to overcome it?

I would like to take an SPI course with SeeMore to become a better putter with my X2. Once that is complete I will make a practice plan for the putter and stick to it.
*B. How will you know you've been successful? Self reflection and using data from rounds and practice sessions to examine my results. I would also like to see up some video sessions to be able to take a closer look at my set up and stroke.
~ Do you prefer to practice or play?

I like to play. I have access to a small 9 hole course and use many of those opportunities to practice while trying to simulate match conditions with other players at the course.

~ What is your handicap index. *

I do not currently have one. I did not keep an active GHIN number this past calendar year but the prior year I was playing to a 15.

12 to 14 with the ability to travel to any course under any condition and still be accurate.

So I was able to do this in Google Docs. I can't figure out how to paste into a PM in Tapatalk though.

Must be a THP thing I almost ran aPeglegNinja into a tree a few weeks ago

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And nearly launched me out of the cart last weekend, although I do hold at least half of the responsibility for that one. I thought we were turning right, leaned right and we went hard left. Not a good combination of actions. It was funny though.

Excuses? Not an endearing quality to promote when looking to join a winning team. :)

Excuses? Not an endearing quality to promote when looking to join a winning team. :)
Posted in the thread just need to send you a PM.

Not really an excuse honestly. It's the unfortunate truth.
I didn't see a deadline anywhere? Did I miss that or was it in a different thread?

No deadline, but it looked like an excuse to me. However, if it pertains to Regional Rivalry it will be here. But, you knew that already didn't you?

Yes, I have played in 2 THP Invitationals Kentucky and Pittsburgh. I have also played in my annual work tournament (36 hole partnered match play).

I'd have to say my attitude. I'm pretty competitive, but level headed and positive. If I make a decision I'm going to stick with it 100%. If it's a bad decision in hindsight I will admit it, learn from it, but move on and leave it behind. There is no use dwelling on it. I offer a lot of encouragement and keep it serious when needed.

I like my partner to be upbeat and competitive. I look for a partner that I can build momentum with. Even when the play is not so good, they are encouraging and staying positive which is something we can build upon. I've yet to have a bad partner, but ultimately I like having someone who enjoys the game and competition as much as I do.

~ What do you have to offer a playing partner?

I definitely bring an upbeat positive attitude to the table, but I also offer an ear to listen. There are dozens of different ways to complete a task, and I'm all for working with my partner to do it. Whether that is going his way or my way or a combination of the two, I'm all for listening first then executing whatever we agree to do.

~ What was your biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.

2015 was big for me because I achieved my goal of getting better off the tee. I used to dread using my driver but now feel confidence when I pull it from the bag. Just increasing my tee game helped drop my handicap by a good margin and ultimately I managed to get down to a 15 which was my goal for 2015.

Course management and iron game

I work to know my limits and practice when I can. I hit the range to keep my irons sharp. My swing is about tempo and just trying to keep everything in sync.

~ What is the biggest weakness *in your game?

Short game (pitches and chips)

*A. What is your plan to overcome it?

I haven't had the chance to practice as much since the birth of my daughter, but my home course has a short game area, where you can practice from 160 and in, including bunkers). I plan to hit this area hard not only for this event but for the year. I used to have a good short game (mainly because I couldn't hit my driver), but since focusing on the long ball my short game needs to get much better. I also plan to take lessons this year.

*B. How will you know you've been successful?

I just got a game golf that I plan to use for stat tracking, but I mainly want to increase my up and down percentage as well as my GIR by 25% percent.

~ Do you prefer to practice or play?

I always prefer to play. Last year I think I played close to 40 rounds and I probably had close to the same number of practice sessions.

~ What is your handicap index. *

10 or better

Can't wait for the opportunity to get involved in this! Competitive team golf is more fun than almost anything!

Can't wait for the opportunity to get involved in this! Competitive team golf is more fun than almost anything!
It honestly is regardless of your skill level, there's something about knowing your part of a greater effort really gets you going than any single casual round can.

​I'm getting caught up on this thread today and I see a little SMACK talk is coming out. This is going to be good!

Rumor has it, the course has been selected.

Sure has, and I have a feeling it will be enjoyed by all

Back