What do you look for when selecting a new course to play?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of us that enjoy playing different courses often there is a process to selecting a course. Do you look at online reviews? Slope rating? Price? Location?

I will does play a factor but I think my most important factor when selecting a new course his condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Location and online reviews are balanced for me. If there are multiple options in a similar location with similar landscape, it comes down to reviews. However, my number one will always be location. I'm a sucker for scenic courses.

What kind of grass are the fairways. Then reviews

I’m all about some golfadvisor. You can look at dates and know the quality of the course in recent days or weeks. Usually it’s not bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My process goes a little like this:

Find course in desired area.
Look at the layout on google maps (really easy to tell if it is well maintained or lacks design).
Go to course website for scorecard information, rates, and designer info.
Decide if the course is worth the rate.
If yes, book tee time. If not, return to step 1.

Interesting. How do you find this out? Call the course?

Usually if its a somewhat recognized course they will have in on their website. Maybe ask someone that I know that has played it. Or, yeah call.

I say that because im not a fan of Zoysia grass. With that said its not like I wont play it but its more intriguing to me if its not.

Yes im weird lol

Locally it's pretty easy to ask people their opinion on a certain place.

I'll always play somewhere at least once as well to form my own opinion. But if the price is right, I'll give it a shot.

golfadvisor reviews

I use google earth to look at layout first, I like scenery in a course. Then check reviews.

Combination of condition, layout and cost.

Back