for those who say golf is overly serious, i have a genuine question because i don't have any other similar interests and i'm curious. if you are heavy into some other competitive hobby in addition to golf - racing, basketball, mahjong, whatever - do you not also find people as equally serious about those hobbies?

I come from a motorcycle racing background, and I will say that I've seen it all at the race track too - but remember with racing, some of those maneuvers are legitimately life and death situations (been there done that, got the helicopter ride for it). So there's fights and a lot of passon there too.

Anytime one has passion, emotions are going to run high.

If you take life too seriously, you’ll never get out alive

... I played sports my entire life including QB from grade school thru college and then travel team tennis after college. I am very serious about golf for the few seconds I am contemplating a shot and then executing it. Walking, talking and about 90% of the time on the course I am relaxed and enjoy my surroundings including nature and those I play with. I have never understood getting angry after a bad shot anymore than having an immature tantrum after throwing an interception. Keeping your cool, embracing the good and the bad is the key to playing your best golf imo.

Golf is hard. People are stupid.

Your a ray of sunshine every time we have played together, relaxed and having fun.

I played today with my old friend and we got paired up with two guys about our ages, one of them was just out there enjoying himself and one guy that was just miserable the whole time, I think he thinks he can actually play golf and slammed clubs and took forever to miss putts. The worst part was the constant commentary about what he was doing or supposed to do, no one cares just hit the damn ball already....
Haha thanks but case in point. Week prior when we played I wasn’t happy with my 94 but during the round yeah I’m going to continue to laugh or joke around etc.

Last week much better round and it was a lot of fun.

Now we tee off again Sunday. Never played at this course and with good company so if frustration sets in it’ll be after the round haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2c21844d38682c345a5913cc1b9d94bc.jpg

Four touchdowns in one game!!

... I played sports my entire life including QB from grade school thru college and then travel team tennis after college. I am very serious about golf for the few seconds I am contemplating a shot and then executing it. Walking, talking and about 90% of the time on the course I am relaxed and enjoy my surroundings including nature and those I play with. I have never understood getting angry after a bad shot anymore than having an immature tantrum after throwing an interception. Keeping your cool, embracing the good and the bad is the key to playing your best golf imo.

That is pretty much me. I do take the game seriously, as you say, while contemplating and executing my shot. If it is a bad one, the "anger", if any, is directed at myself. Then it passes as quickly as it came. Between shots I am socializing, joking, kibitzing and having an enjoyable time. Can anyone really deny that shooting a good round, relative to one's own track record and ability isn't more enjoyable than a bad round? :act-up:

why is golf taken so seriously, isn't it just a game?

from talks about fights on the golf course to cheaters, and people geting bent up over gimmies, I'm sometimes baffled. I thought we were playing golf for fun, to spend some time out under the sun with friends and family, not to let it ruin our days.

I agree. It is only a game.

from talks about fights on the golf course to cheaters, and people geting bent up over gimmies, I'm sometimes baffled. I thought we were playing golf for fun, to spend some time out under the sun with friends and family, not to let it ruin our days.

There is a lot of ego involved in this game (women golfers excluded).

Some people might get more fulfillment and joy from the game when it is taken more seriously. A lot of time, effort, and money goes into it. I think you can take it seriously without having a poor attitude or affecting those around you negatively. To each their own, that includes those who take it seriously and those that really don't. Neither should be outcast or looked down on.

for those who say golf is overly serious, i have a genuine question because i don't have any other similar interests and i'm curious. if you are heavy into some other competitive hobby in addition to golf - racing, basketball, mahjong, whatever - do you not also find people as equally serious about those hobbies?

I’ve been into bowling, baseball, fixing up cars, computers, and even a little basketball. I am serious about all of my hobbies. I also think everyone here is serious about golf. The levels of seriousness vary, but to an extent I think we all care about golf and we’re all serious about golf. I don’t even want to know how many hours I’ve spent on this forum. That amount of time is a pretty serious investment in a hobby.

As with all of my other hobbies, the level of competitiveness is different person to person and I think that often gets lumped in as being serious about it. Over the past three and a half years I’ve gotten less and less competitive about my game. I still take golf seriously, but I don’t get as competitive. Any hobby can be competitive, just look at extreme couponing.

NO EFFING CLUE!!! I just want to have some laughs, hit a few good golf shots, and hang out with other people that want to have a good time. That’s it!

Lots of people take everything too seriously.

Have u seen parents at kids sports games???

I can understand why people take it seriously on course. What baffles my mind is why people take stuff so seriously on the internet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I play with guys that play by all the rules, I have fun. I play with guys that give putts, breakfast balls and I have fun. It’s all about attitude and tempered expectation.

If you are a 15 hdcp that doesn’t work on your game, don’t expect much. You shouldn’t expect gimmes or ask for them so don’t get mad if you don’t get one.

I play with guys that play by all the rules, I have fun. I play with guys that give putts, breakfast balls and I have fun. It’s all about attitude and tempered expectation.

If you are a 15 hdcp that doesn’t work on your game, don’t expect much. You shouldn’t expect gimmes or ask for them so don’t get mad if you don’t get one.

Get the first paragraph, not sure how the second about expectations, handicap, work ethic and gimmes relates to the topic though.

I believe that when the game ceases to be fun, I will walk away from golf. I see way too many people stressing out on the course, expecting results that are not warranted based on their skill level, practice, or experience.

Back