MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
why is golf taken so seriously, isn't it just a game?

from talks about fights on the golf course to cheaters, and people geting bent up over gimmies, I'm sometimes baffled. I thought we were playing golf for fun, to spend some time out under the sun with friends and family, not to let it ruin our days.

This is the internet. This is serious business.

Competition, whether with an opponent or just against yourself can get some people fired up.
Throw in slow play and it's like road rage from being stuck in traffic.

We're all selfish to an extent. Some take it further than others.

It' not different than the guy getting bent out of shape at pick-up hockey or the one calling the cops for a hard foul at a lunch time basketball game.

It's actually sad. There's always a few that ruin it for the rest.

I think the internet golfing community tends to take golf MUCH more seriously than most average Joes playing "golf" (not to be confused with "Golf").

I think we tend to obsess over it, and take it much more seriously than most.

My non-THP golf friends pretty much just relax and have fun--despite being pretty bad golfers.

Personally, I have a lot more fun when I remember to just have fun---though it's hard for me at least when I so desperately want to improve.

I am, after all, losing FAR more money than I'll ever make playing this game.

I'm playing today--so this is a good reminder.

Maybe I won't worry about the score--or the slow foursome in front as much....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everyone is Al Bundy trying to relive the glory days from Polk High.

That is just the way people act today. They get offended at the smallest thing. Relax and enjoy what you have, enjoy the game, enjoy the company you are with.

The game of being an internet golfer can produce a rather unsavory combination of the internet keyboard warrior, butthurt cannon, and the element of anonymity. You get 95% of these people online to the golf course, in person, and they are just fine and even fun to be around. A lot gets lost on the internet.

Golf is fun. First and foremost.

I take it serious to the point that I don't drink and play and try to shoot my best. They is with the exception of maybe once a year at a work scramble where there is few good and drinks at every hole and the object really isn't winning. Besides that I don't take it to serious. If my playing partner wants to take 10 mulligans and call it his best round, go for it. I used to get worked up about that kind of stuff and slam clubs when I hit a bad shot. I over that it didn't do me any good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

for those who say golf is overly serious, i have a genuine question because i don't have any other similar interests and i'm curious. if you are heavy into some other competitive hobby in addition to golf - racing, basketball, mahjong, whatever - do you not also find people as equally serious about those hobbies?

for those who say golf is overly serious, i have a genuine question because i don't have any other similar interests and i'm curious. if you are heavy into some other competitive hobby in addition to golf - racing, basketball, mahjong, whatever - do you not also find people as equally serious about those hobbies?
I think you are right, many other hobbies are the same way. There will be guys who just want to get out and have fun on a day off, and others who are hyper competitive and take it very seriously.

Golf is what you make it.

We're all selfish to an extent. Some take it further than others.

It' not different than the guy getting bent out of shape at pick-up hockey or the one calling the cops for a hard foul at a lunch time basketball game.

It's actually sad. There's always a few that ruin it for the rest.

C'mon now, some people like to hit and some people just don't like it

#trollingalert :alien:

violence is never a solution, on the golf course, in life, just like on a hockey rink :angel:

#trollingalert :alien:

violence is never an option, on the golf course, in life, just like on a hockey rink :angel:
Always an option on the hockey rink

Definitely, and those are the ones you usually butt heads with.

Too many examples from pickup hockey haha. That's an entire thread right there.

I'll be accountable in taking things a bit too serious when I play poorly, I play golf once or twice a week max. So for those 4-5 hours yeah I don't want to shoot a high number, if it happens it happens, but I'll be disappointed. During the round I'll skate by and not be a sour puss to the company I'm with, but after the round yeah I'll be annoyed if I played poorly.

I'll be accountable in taking things a bit too serious when I play poorly, I play golf once or twice a week max. So for those 4-5 hours yeah I don't want to shoot a high number, if it happens it happens, but I'll be disappointed. During the round I'll skate by and not be a sour puss to the company I'm with, but after the round yeah I'll be annoyed if I played poorly.

giphy.gif

This is one I have experience with over the internet and yes, there are many people that treat sim racing as incredibly serious stuff. It's fine to be serious about hobbies, even healthy to get away from the usual mess of life, but there is a point that is different for everyone where it can cross an unhealthy line. In the end, it's just a game and that is important to remember but often lost.

why is golf taken so seriously, isn't it just a game?

from talks about fights on the golf course to cheaters, and people geting bent up over gimmies, I'm sometimes baffled. I thought we were playing golf for fun, to spend some time out under the sun with friends and family, not to let it ruin our days.

Blows my mind.

I coach competitive golf, and yeah there is more seriousness there by nature but I constantly remind my kids its a GAME they can play and ENJOY the rest of their lives, its not life or death.

I've got enough super serious **** going on in my life, I don't want it following me into by recreation time as well.

I pay to play. If it’s not fun it’s not worth doing but that doesn’t take away the fact I want to get better and score well.

Are there such things out there as internet forums like this one dedicated to the other major sports (basketball, baseball, football) where the primary intent is discussion of the individual's game, getting together with other "fanatics" for events, and, as an aside, discussion of the pro aspects of the game? Id guess most forums for the others are primarily aimed at discussion of the pros with maybe a tiny aspect like ours. Am I that far off base?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are there such things out there as internet forums like this one dedicated to the other major sports (basketball, baseball, football) where the primary intent is discussion of the individual's game, getting together with other "fanatics" for events, and, as an aside, discussion of the pro aspects of the game? Id guess most forums for the others are primarily aimed at discussion of the pros with maybe a tiny aspect like ours. Am I that far off base?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I use to be part of a hockey one that had a couple of events per year and was focused on the amateur level, not the pros. Not sure for other sports.

Your a ray of sunshine every time we have played together, relaxed and having fun.

I played today with my old friend and we got paired up with two guys about our ages, one of them was just out there enjoying himself and one guy that was just miserable the whole time, I think he thinks he can actually play golf and slammed clubs and took forever to miss putts. The worst part was the constant commentary about what he was doing or supposed to do, no one cares just hit the damn ball already....

Back