Do you have good course management?

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you use good course management?
It is easier for me if I have played the course more than once.

I try but find my poor execution screws up my great course management

Do you use good course management?
It is easier for me if I have played the course more than once.

I think it's one of my strengths. And absolutely, having played at least once definitely helps.

I do have to guard against getting overconfident at times. If I had a fantastic round last time and hit every target I aimed at, I have to remember that might not happen this time. The right play may not be to the center of the green even though you hit it last time, when a slight push could hit the side of the green and careen out of bounds. If you're not swinging quite as well, the right play might be to hit something that will end up on the front apron at worst. So, adjusting your course management to the quality of your play is important.

I think it's one of the strengths of my game, and why I always buy a yardage book if there's one available. I find I put my best swings on the ball when I know that I've already taken the hazards out of play with my club choice.

I use game management according to my ability and yes the course itself plays its role in that.

And knowing a course vs first time out is always a better scenario towards scoring a little beeter.

Like Dorothy says...."there's no place like home".

No.

It's weird, I think I do, but then back home and thinking about my round I realize I excel at making dumb decisions.

This has been something that I've been working on a lot this season. I'm trying to focus on putting myself in a good position by playing to distances (key word is "trying").

Not really no.

Any Par 5 my 2nd shot is going to be hybrid or 4W unless it's a forced layup with water or something.

I pretty much hit driver most of the time off the tee and see what happens.

This is probably the weakest part of my game this and decision making

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope.

Too often I stand over the ball and think, "I really shouldn't be trying this."

Funny, sat down with a new instructor yesterday and he asked about my Game Management.
I said, you mean hit the ball as far as I can and then go look for it?

It's not bad but it could be so much better.
He has an indoor simulator with real courses and that is one thing I want to work on over the winter.

Last edited:
Usually, yes. Although the more that I play a course, I'll actually become less conservative and take more calculated risks.

But generally speaking, I go by a good shot/great shot way of thinking. If I honestly assess that a particular plan would demand a great shot to pull it off, I won't do it as the punishment for even a good shot there doesn't fit the crime.

I'd say it's good, not great.

I think I've made better choices as a whole this year. Execution is another story :D

I have two goals when I go out there:

1) Hit Driver as often as I can off the tee
2) Flirt with disaster (hazards) as much as I can on each hole

These two things lead to very poor club selection and course management

Yes and no. I know what prudent play is but then I say eff it and punch a 3 iron 4' off the ground through a 4 foot gap in the trees and wonder why I made double.

... I think most low index players have good course management, that is why they are low index players. One of the last pieces of the puzzle for me was watching Anika choose to punch out when she had a clear shot through the trees. After the round she said "If I can't make that shot at least 80% of the time, I do not attempt it". Soon after I found DLII's advice to his son equally as instructive "Never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Always follow a bad shot with a good shot".

... The amount of high index players I see try and pull off a shot a low index player would not even be trying is mind boggling. In deep rough and pulling out a long iron or hybrid/wood instead of a wedge or short iron is pretty standard. Just one of many examples where high index players do not take their medicine and take a big score out of the equation. A bogie or even a double bogie is always better than a quadruple bogie.

I do - but then I have a couple beers and all that goes out the window. Typical weekend hacker

No.

It's weird, I think I do, but then back home and thinking about my round I realize I excel at making dumb decisions.

I think we all do that form time to time, thinking we can make a shot and it just doesn't work.
I played with a guy couple weeks ago, at the end of the round he asked me about 2 shots. I told him I thought I could make it thru. Of course I didn't and both holes where double bogey. He told me, "you where playing well enough you could have played back to fairway 90*, hit your 3rd shot on and probably made par, or at worst bogey" Lesson learned.

I've found myself thinking things through a bit more here lately so it's a start.

i think my course management plan falls under "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Nope.

Too often I stand over the ball and think, "I really shouldn't be trying this."

This is why the golf gods created the Scramble.

Since I've only been playing about a year, I've spent most of that time just trying to hit the ball no matter what direction. Shecaddie started a course management clinic this year. We alternated weekly from range to 3 hole guided course. I've learned so much in just the last few sessions. My problem is when my planned shots go astray, but I'm learning "course correction" which is beginning to make a difference in my score.

Since I've only been playing about a year, I've spent most of that time just trying to hit the ball no matter what direction. Shecaddie started a course management clinic this year. We alternated weekly from range to 3 hole guided course. I've learned so much in just the last few sessions. My problem is when my planned shots go astray, but I'm learning "course correction" which is beginning to make a difference in my score.

We all have those planned shots that go astray, it is just making a good recovery from said shot.
It sounds like it could be an interesting clinic.

Back