Are You Satisfied With Your Golf Game?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Are you content with the current state of your golf game? Meaning if you're a 10 handicap, do you have any intentions of trying to get lower or does it not matter to you anymore?

Reason why I ask is that in this day & age with work, family obligations, etc. a lot of us don't have the time to dedicate to the game that we would like. Unfortunately life gets in the way. Having starting playing this lovely game of ours since I was 4 years old (taught by my father), I've never taken a "formal" lesson from a PGA Pro, as I've always been content with my father's instruction. Nowadays, we have the internet, golf publications, videos, etc at our disposal to try and get better. But is it worth it? I've always understood that it takes a lot more perseverance & dedication to get to a really low handicap & keep it there. When I played in high school & college, I lived and breathed golf. I played or practiced every day ... that's all I ever did when I wasn't studying. And my handicap was a reflection of that hard work. I was as low as a (1) in college. But that took a lot of dedication.

I know those days are long gone for me & I'm OK with that. I will never play competitively anymore. I play for the enjoyment of the game & the camaraderie of playing with THP'ers like yourselves. There comes a time when that no matter how many lessons you take, nor how many balls you bang around on the range ..... you just simply aren't going to get any lower. No matter what you do. I mean you could save a few strokes here & there if you dedicated yourself of fixing your "miss" or you bought the next best thing to come out to fix your swing or the next best training aid. But all in all, you just are stuck at being a 10 handicap.

I am content on keeping my current handicap where it's at. I just don't want it to get any higher. I'd like to keep it there as long as possible.

Question is .... are you happy with that?

What say you THP?

Nope, I want to be better in all facets

I am satisfied in that I am improving in all categories of the game :D

I'll plateau eventually, but I'll still be happy.

Heck no. My ball striking leaves a lot to be desired.

Nope. Never. There always seems to be some aspect that goes haywire and could use improvement.

I'm satisfied.

I went from playing 2-4 times per week to now only playing about twice a month without really dropping much from what I'd shoot a year ago. I'd love to get into single digits, however, the timing isn't right for any sort of commitment.

Yes and no. I am happy that I have had a good year, lowered my handicap, (reached a goal) played quite a few courses outside my home course. However there always seems to be some things that will creep in during the round, an unnecessary fat shot, or maybe a 3 putt, of I hit a shot that I know I shouldn't and it cost me. I came close to shooting par twice this year, (a 74 and 75) and it was just dumb little errors that cost me.

I think I'm hard-wired with a desire to always get better at most things, not just golf.

That said, I'm content with the current state of my game and the amount of work I'm willing to put into it at this point in my life.

I know (well, I hope) I would become a better player if I devoted more time to it but I'm fine with the way it - and life in general - is right now.

No, I'm not yet satisfied. I think I can continue to improve and get my handicap into single digits.

Playing as little as I do, I don't think I have any chance of getting into low single digits, but I'd like to have some of my rounds be in the 70s.

Am I satisfied? Yes. Playing one 9 a week and maybe 2 full rounds a month is solid for me and I'm playing some of the best golf of my life going from a 9ish down to 7 and lower.

Do I think there's a little bit more left to get? Absolutely.

I'm not satisfied at all.

Yes I'm satisfied. Breaking 90 and 85 is cool to me.

Do I want to improve? Yeah for sure.

The desire to improve will always be there but lack of time for meaningful practice prevents that from happening. I think my golf mind is a about a 5 cap but my game itself hovers around 11-13 if that makes sense.

At every stage of my golf life I've wanted to improve. Break 100, 90, 80. Then it was consistently shoot in the 70s. Now it's break par consistently (Still haven't done it a single time). I'm a 1 cap and I'll be happy to be scratch. But once I get there, I know I'll want to get even lower

I'm satisfied in where I am as far as improving my game goes. I have made significant progress in my ability to hit my irons this year.

I am not satisfied in my scoring, however. I still have too many blow up holes which is keeping my handicap inflated.

Yes I'm satisfied. Breaking 90 and 85 is cool to me.

Do I want to improve? Yeah for sure.

But do you have the time & dedication to improve is the real question? If you're satisfied with breaking 90, what would you want to improve upon to break 85?

But do you have the time & dedication to improve is the real question? If you're satisfied with breaking 90, what would you want to improve upon to break 85?
I don't really know what more I can do really besides find more fairways, hit more greens, and sink putts haha. I spend 2-3 days a week playing Golf. One to practice during the week and on the weekend try to play both days.

I've done 5 lessons this year, I'm doing what I can, and I think most people would love to be able to play 2-3 days a week.

I do not spend time putting. So that could definitely shave off 1-3 strokes that's about it. The rest of my game is hit or miss and when it's on I can shoot 80 when it's off I can shoot 95.

Satisfied. Yes. Consistent? No.

Never.

That is golf.

I’m not satisfied but as you say life happens so my scores are reflecting the effort I’m Putting in to get better. Right now if I’m mid 80’s and only lose 2 balls I’m satisfied.

I'm satisfied with progress made so far this season, but definitely have the desire to improve.

I like to judge my golf on a sliding scale. When I know I haven't practiced in a long time and I'm out for a fun round breaking 90 is all I worry about, and if it doesn't happen I'm fine with that too. When I'm practicing five times a week and hitting the gym hard I expect to break 75 every round.

I think this allows me to always have fun while I'm golfing and have expectations that match my level of commitment to the game. Right now I've been busy but my skills are still okay enough to ink out 80-84 range rounds, but anything higher and I don't really mind since I know my practice and focus isn't 100% =).

I don't get to play like I used to in college and high school. I am now 36 and can shoot anywhere from my best this year at 77 to in the 90's sometimes. I play at most 2 - 3 times a month on average with no range time mixed in.

My thing is I can't expect to be a whole lot better than my handicap (not registered but anywhere from 10-13) currently is unless I can get out and play. I was a 4 in high school and college.

I would love to be better meaningfully but at this point when you only play like I do how can you expect to improve a lot from round to round? I have sort of accepted where I am and understand I play for a lot of other reasons than I used to including time with my friends, enjoying some cold beer, listening to music, enjoying beautiful weather, etc.

I am jealous of those that can play regularly, have cc memberships, play in leagues, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to judge my golf on a sliding scale. When I know I haven't practiced in a long time and I'm out for a fun round breaking 90 is all I worry about, and if it doesn't happen I'm fine with that too. When I'm practicing five times a week and hitting the gym hard I expect to break 75 every round.

I think this allows me to always have fun while I'm golfing and have expectations that match my level of commitment to the game. Right now I've been busy but my skills are still okay enough to ink out 80-84 range rounds, but anything higher and I don't really mind since I know my practice and focus isn't 100% =).

Perfect response! :act-up:

Never.

I'm content because I know I really can't do much about it at this point. While I'd love to take lessons and practice, I just don't have the time, so I suck. I've come to grips with it, and I'm happy to just make it out on the course when I can.

Back