Why do you think your game isn't improving?

Wonton

Sphincter says what?
Reaction score
Handicap
# Ish
For whatever the reason is, I am digressing with my game. I'm not seeing the consistency as I'm spraying the ball all over the place. Not sure what my reasons are but it's discouraging for sure.
So, what's holding your game back? Not enough time for practice? No money for lessons? Life distractions? Playing the same course over and over again? Equipment issues?
Let's dig deep! To solve a problem, we have to first recognize that there is a problem. Let me know your thoughts.

Limited time for golf so I just play...and it shows.

After a 20 year layoff for single parent life, I practice every day. Handicap has dropped from 12 to 8 in 5 months. Keep practicing with focus.

It's mainly a function of time for me. Almost every person I've met who is a single digit handicap plays at least twice a week. Sometimes I'll get two rounds in in a week, but then I'll got 3 weeks without touching a club. It's tough to improve a lot when you're playing that little.

I play way more than I practice other than my putting. Practice just isn't that fun, but I know it is the way to better golf.

because i'm not willing to put in the necessary work to get better. i'm not really digressing but i'm not really improving either...kind of just at a plateau/steady-state. i'm telling myself that i'm okay with this but i'm not really sure if i am or not.

Is practicing really the key though? One year, I practiced at least twice and played two rounds every week. That year I hovered around 11-12 handicap. The best I've ever got was down to 9 handicap and that year, I only played maybe a few times a month... so it's really confusing what works and doesn't.
Or maybe aging has a lot to do with it? but then again, there are several 40+ year olds that whoops my sorry behind.

Because I really don't practice. I wish I had time to play AND practice, but when you have limited golf time, you gotta make a decision.

Is practicing really the key though? One year, I practiced at least twice and played two rounds every week. That year I hovered around 11-12 handicap. The best I've ever got was down to 9 handicap and that year, I only played maybe a few times a month... so it's really confusing what works and doesn't.
Or maybe aging has a lot to do with it? but then again, there are several 40+ year olds that whoops my sorry behind.

Just because you are practicing doens't mean it is good practice. I agree, i have hardly practiced at all this year, had one short game lesson and have improved, but I have played almost 80 rounds already. (Tuesday 9, Sat and Sunday 18)

Just because you are practicing doens't mean it is good practice. I agree, i have hardly practiced at all this year, had one short game lesson and have improved, but I have played almost 80 rounds already. (Tuesday 9, Sat and Sunday 18)

I try to practice with a purpose. Yeah, you're right though. It doesn't mean it's good practice.

Not enough time to play and practice.

I think it is because my clubs are getting old and lack the proper something to make me better.

It all comes down to time for me. The family is getting older and busier and work has been keeping me busy as well. All good things though, it just impacts the game.

Not enough practice and not enough good practice.

The biggest obstacle in my golf game is time. When I had more time to dedicate to golf (practice and playing) I was better. Now with not really practicing (just playing) and about a 5 month off season my game is worse.

I try to practice with a purpose. Yeah, you're right though. It doesn't mean it's good practice.

Sorry if I sounded condescending.

I'm just not one who likes to practice, I'm happy enough hitting the range before a round then putting for 15 minutes and off to first tee.
Even when I took my lesson, (a one hour lesson) after about 45 minutes I was ready to for it to be over and hit the course.
I guess my point is frame of mind also. You have to be in the right frame of mind to practice and a different frame of mind when playing.

I'm just not one who likes to practice, I'm happy enough hitting the range before a round then putting for 15 minutes and off to first tee.
Even when I took my lesson, (a one hour lesson) after about 45 minutes I was ready to for it to be over and hit the course.
I guess my point is frame of mind also. You have to be in the right frame of mind to practice and a different frame of mind when playing.

Didn't sound condescending at all! You're good. I totally get it. I don't like practicing either.

Not practicing all the skills regularly, to play good golf you must stay on top of everything, I tend to focus on a single shot or two in my limited practice time and hope the other swings are good that day, but rarely do I have them all working at the same time, very frustrating but certainly not a mystery.

But keep in mind it's not uncommon to regress on the scorecard, but have progress with the swing, sometimes in golf it's two steps back to take one step forward, that's the price many pay for having learned poor habits early on.

Well, to put it bluntly, I'm lazy.

a lot of reasons.

first would probably be time. i just don’t have it. it’s hard to get better when you put in no time to get better!

second would he fitness. i don’t exercise or stretch or take care of myself at all.

and lastly would be my swing. it needs work, but if i don’t have the time to practice or play, i obviously don’t have the time to get a lesson then practice what i learn in the lesson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are probably a lot of reasons, but I'll list the ones that are most obvious to me.

- Not enough play and practice
- Getting mental about my swing
- Too much tinkering

No you don't. You just have to love golf.

I'm in my own head. I got down to a 10 at the end of last year and put so much pressure on myself to get to single digits this year that I'm trending at a 13.6 at the moment. Went on a run of 92, 95, 89, 92 scores and put more pressure on myself to get the swing "right" again but ended up making it worse as I kept all sorts of thoughts from the range to the course (flatten the swing, rotate the shoulders...)

I decided to stick to my practice routine on the range and forget about it on the course the other day and not only did I have a better time but I broke 90 for the first time in a few weeks. I may still be in a scoring funk, but at least I'm having a good time now.

I can’t putt for **** and I’m not too lazy to do anything about it.

#FiberLaunch

I wish I knew. I've put in a ton of work and my irons/approach shots have gotten much better and at the same time my long game has become worse so I am effectively at the same level I was.

Back