THP Championship- Bag Battles

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
In one week the THP Championship with begin, with that it is time to make some final decisions related to what is going to make it in to the bag. I have 3 rounds and 1 long range session scheduled before I fly out on Thursday. I would get some thoughts from the community, and hold a discussion with other Championship participants that might have some bag make up decisions going down to the wire.

THP Championship- Bag Battles (JDax)

Callaway Rogue 4 Hybrid v. Callaway X-Forged UT 21 Degree

What looked like an easy decision a month ago has become a tough decision, this is for the 205-195 yard spot in the bag. I trust making good contact with the Hybrid more, however the distance control is the key issue, I know what I will get from a good swing with the UT. The Rogue 4 Hybrid has been know to jump out hot and carry further than expected causing gap issues. The UT tends to be fools gold, as I can stripe it on the range, but not always on the course. I like the ball flight of the UT more off the tee, and I can trust the yardage, but overall trust the 4 Hybrid more.

Lean- Rogue 4 Hybrid

Callaway MD4 (54-S Grind & 58 C-Grind) v. Cleveland RTX-4 (54- Mid & 58- Low)

I just got the Cleveland wedges, and they have only been in the bag for one round, there is a lot to like about them. I like the 58- Low a lot, early results with the 54-Mid have been less than stellar. They are a lot heavier than the MD4, and will take a lot of work to get used to, do I have the time to do that before it's showtime? This is the classic new and shinny v. tried and true. This will go down to the wire as I plan on gaming the RTX-4s this weekend, but the smart play is probably to put the MD4s in the bag for the Championship and deal with wedge switch when I return.

Lean- Callaway MD4 (54-S Grind & 58 C-Grind)

Toulon Garage Columbus (Long Slant Neck) v. Toulon Atlanta (Slant Neck)

I thought that this one was settled with a hot run from the Columbus over the summer, but 4 straight rounds of 34+ putts have left some doubt. I like lag putting with the Columbus better, but have more confidence in shorter putts with the Atlanta. I'm putting the Columbus on the shelf this weekend and giving the Atlanta one last look. Both putters will probably make the trip, which one gets the start will probably go right up until it is time to drive to the course.

Slight Lean -
Toulon Atlanta (Slant Neck)

I would love to hear y'alls thoughts....

It’s all about confidence. Whichever clubs you are most confident you can repeatedly perform well with should get the win. I always think if you perform to your expectations. If I know I hit a club well and expect to then generally I do but the opposite is true also. It’s kind of like guys who pull out a water ball near a hazard. They expect to hit it in the water and generally they do. So I say you really already know because you seem to know where your most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you telling me there is a limit to what we can carry in the bag. I know we are in carts so weight is not a issue. I am driving so that I can bring everything, I got 3 maybe 4 putters. Plus whatever I sneak out of Ping with, LOL!

Not a hybrid fan so go utility.
I am an RTX fan, but your MD4's where fitted to you.
Both putters are great so no issue there.
Doesn't really matter though since you went 8&6. :D

Sorry I couldn't resist that one. I like your work here.

Go with your gut and what you feel best with. If you give me the choice to tell you what to put in your bag, I'm telling you to go: 4 hybrid, MD4's and the Columbus.

You're going to be under pressure already, and knowing what to expect (for the most part) out of each of the clubs is going to give you the most confidence.

How I determined to end a prior relationship... Get a coin, option a is heads, b is tails.. flip it, catch cover, and when your head/gut tells you which you are hoping for (heads v tails) that's your answer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In all seriousness! I plan to pack the bag I’ve been carrying! My Ben Hogan Irons 4-PW, Equalizer Wedges 50,56,60. Callaway XR Driver, 4 and 7 Woods.
My putter is the question. I currently have a Strokes Gained RM4 in the bag and I’m very comfortable with it.
I plan to bring a early Toulon San Diego and Scotty Studio Newport 2.7.

• Staff
In all seriousness! I plan to pack the bag I’ve been carrying! My Ben Hogan Irons 4-PW, Equalizer Wedges 50,56,60. Callaway XR Driver, 4 and 7 Woods.
My putter is the question. I currently have a Strokes Gained RM4 in the bag and I’m very comfortable with it.
I plan to bring a early Toulon San Diego and Scotty Studio Newport 2.7.

@HuddieJ - Thoughts on your partner’s putter selection?

Callaway X-Forged UT 21 Degree
Cleveland RTX-4 (54- Mid & 58- Low)
Toulon Garage Columbus (Long Slant Neck)

:alien:

I have a bag battle, literally...My Hogan Bag from the 2016 Hogan Event, or my 2017 Morgan Cup Bag; will probably go with the Hogan bag since I'm playing the PTx irons.

I'm also torn between my Cobra F8+ or Callaway Epic driver; leaning on the Epic, I'm losing confidence with the F8+.

Rogue 4 Hybrid v. X-Forged UT

e8e4a620687dbdd8a8bdd8ea95a56b8e.jpg

f8b5dd5565de480b90bd0df3425a01a4.jpg

MD4 v RTX-4

b4b8688ef3e0ca3b53246ab48d8f4d39.jpg

ecd2bb3b90ad13d4712b7e92d3a7853e.jpg

@jdax looks like @huddieJ isn’t the only LSU fan in the family!

Columbus v. Atlanta

5953c6efa768a1c6aacb885879320980.jpg

9e0a59f1d490e58bdbd6c19dd9841144.heic

808a435515044e472c8b616b3de8320e.jpg

@HuddieJ - Thoughts on your partner’s putter selection?

Let's go with your gamer partner! If you have been playing with the Strokes Gained putter, lets rock with that one! I'm going to need you to come up clutch with a couple of pars partner and I'll take care of the rest!

3ea1c945fab52c53c141c083c5bb8813.jpg

Just put a Flat Cat grip on the Columbus and I’m making everything I look at on the practice green here at DICK’S... The Atlanta might be out again...

3ea1c945fab52c53c141c083c5bb8813.jpg

Just put a Flat Cat grip on the Columbus and I’m making everything I look at on the practice green here at DICK’S... The Atlanta might be out again...

This could move the line some.....get your bets in now before there’s a big swing

I have a putter battle myself. A big decision needs to be made this weekend so I can fully commit. I was doing to bring two putters along with me but I'll waffle back and forth the whole weekend if I do that.

Battle #1- neither, get the GX-7. Duh!

Battle #2- neither, get a SureOut.

Battle #3- you have to get a Zebra putter!

Then collect the HOF tag and the $500 gift card from Budget Golf!

I have a putter battle myself. A big decision needs to be made this weekend so I can fully commit. I was doing to bring two putters along with me but I'll waffle back and forth the whole weekend if I do that.

The question is which putters will you be buying for this battle?

The question is which putters will you be buying for this battle?

Normally that would be a legit question but this year's circumstances make things a little different.

Although we are going to Ping...

Normally that would be a legit question but this year's circumstances make things a little different.

Although we are going to Ping...

Get another Evenroll KEV! ;-)

Still deciding what driver to go with for this event...

My bag is set after a driver shaft change and new wedges.

I'm encouraged that jdax is choosing clubs by how they feel on the carpet at Dicks. :giggle:

Back