BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Not sure in the states. In Argentina goat is readily available at the farmers market (more like a shopping center for homemade goods and meats, etc). My FIL's high-school classmate owns a stall so we picked one up from him.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've had goat at a restaurant in Vermont (in taco form, no less) but outside of that haven't seen it in the US.

Not sure in the states. In Argentina goat is readily available at the farmers market (more like a shopping center for homemade goods and meats, etc). My FIL's high-school classmate owns a stall so we picked one up from him.

In South Texas, we get goat (cabritos) from a goat market or from people known to sell them. We just go by and pick it up. My dad picked up 2 yesterday to make this weekend. Its pretty good. Sudseh, have you ever cooked one in a box?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

In South Texas, we get goat (cabritos) from a goat market or from people known to sell them. We just go by and pick it up. My dad picked up 2 yesterday to make this weekend. Its pretty good. Sudseh, have you ever cooked one in a box?

back when it was safe, we used to visit my relatives in Laredo and go across to the restaurant with the most tender, succulent cabrito. My great grandmother would order the head and pick it clean! She swore that the cheeks and meat around the eyes was the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

back when it was safe, we used to visit my relatives in Laredo and go across to the restaurant with the most tender, succulent cabrito. My great grandmother would order the head and pick it clean! She swore that the cheeks and meat around the eyes was the best.

She is correct! That is the best part, even with beef. Barbacoa is some good stuff, especially with sime home made tortillas and salsa. I'll post some pictures of it when we are cooking it.

Have not cooked one in a box, always the parilla.

Yeah, FIL buys the entire goat and takes choice cuts to cook, and around the eyes and cheeks is also his favorite.

My new toy

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1441483926097.jpg
    FB_IMG_1441483926097.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
Wow, now that's a smoker. How many lbs of meat will it hold?

I am putting a fresh ham in the egg later today. Not as cool as yours but it does a good job for the few people I cook for.

Going to do about 6 lbs of wings in the smoker in just a few minutes. I'll post some pics after they are done.

Yes! Love doing smoked wings

I need a smoker.

Or a grill.

My grill died a month ago, and it's been miserable without one.

I need a smoker.

Or a grill.

Big green egg then have grill and smoker all in one...and also a heck of a pizza oven

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I need a smoker.

Or a grill.

You can combine the two if you go with a pellet smoker. Very easy to set up and get started and you can still get smoke into the food.

Was at a friends in December and he did some Deer Sausage, whole wings and beef kabobs on a Green Mtn Smoker. The mixture of pellets he used was a combination of several different brands that he just combines in a tub. The food was all good and the operation of the unit seemed to be very easy.

I liked it but still want an KJ or BGE.

JM

6ddb4323b8207938787e2440081a04fb.jpg

Five different dry rubs. Bbq, lemon pepper, southwest, jerk, and a blend. Came out great. So easy to do. 2 hours in the smoker at 225 with hickory, then about 10 minutes on the grill to crisp them up.

Wow, now that's a smoker. How many lbs of meat will it hold?

I am putting a fresh ham in the egg later today. Not as cool as yours but it does a good job for the few people I cook for.

My company sponsors thr 2nd biggest bbq competition in Kansas City. I cook for about 200 clients that weekend. For what it cost to cater I just pulled the trigger on this. I can do 26 slabs of ribs at a time.

If we get a THP event in KC again this year I might smoke some meat and stock the keg cooler!

Anyone planning a smoke or BBQ for Monday's NCAA national championship game? I'm thinking of ribs and ABT's.

Anyone use a UDS? I'm building mine now. I'll post before and after pics when I finish.

Anyone use a UDS? I'm building mine now. I'll post before and after pics when I finish.

Yep. Built my own as well. It is one of the easiest smokers to cook on. My family doesn't like the "smoky" flavor it put out so I recently purchased a Traeger. Loving that thing so far and no complaints. I still have the UDS.

Just getting into this smoking thing and wondered if anyone had some recommendations on a guide/books for the basics of smoking. I have seen a few on Amazon such as Franklin BBQ and Smoking w/ Myron Mixon but didnt know if anyone had success with another book

Bumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my first smoker yesterday! It should be delivered Monday. Any recommendations on what to start with?

AZ-Patio-Heaters-Vertical-Smoker.jpg

Just getting into this smoking thing and wondered if anyone had some recommendations on a guide/books for the basics of smoking. I have seen a few on Amazon such as Franklin BBQ and Smoking w/ Myron Mixon but didnt know if anyone had success with another book
I have the Franklin book and it is pretty good. There are some decent forums out there as well. The BBQ shows on TV are pretty good. Usually they will tell you what type of wood, injections, spices they use.

I bought my first smoker yesterday! It should be delivered Monday. Any recommendations on what to start with?

AZ-Patio-Heaters-Vertical-Smoker.jpg

Boston Butts (pork shoulder) are a good place to cut your teeth. They're inexpensive and pretty difficult to get wrong. I would run your unit at high temp for a few hours to burn off any impurities inside and on the racks first. Then get to it and post pics!

Back