Lacking amateur golf tournament info!

B81Smith

Hit Bombs!
Reaction score
Handicap
So this is frustrating me. I’ve been searching the Internet for a while now and I cannot find a website dedicated to listing out golf tournaments for amateurs.

has anyone else come across a website that is free that is simply a listing of upcoming or past area golf tournaments open to anybody.

I find websites listing pga tourney. I find websites that want money and list tournaments but oddly I can’t find recent city tournaments that I know happened. So why pay upwards of 50/year to find out about only some tourneys. Idk.

Seems like a simple thing that is oddly missing.
A simple website that’s free that would list upcoming golf tournaments open to anyone. maybe broken down by state or something.

It’s really kind of bothering me. I want to play in some tournaments. I’m not a member at any clubs because I’m fricken poor man. Lol. I need to compete against some serious golfers and club championships are only so good. I’m more looking toward city championships or county. If I can hold my own I’d look into state championships but those are way easier to find out about. Many top championships open to amateurs are hard to get into if you’re not a known player from the area. The mid am was open to mostly invited folks based on status, world ranking, previous wins etc. so if you can’t win a city championship then it’s not like you will get into a more National am event like mid am or western am etc.

Isn’t it odd I can’t find a dedicated site or a site that has a listing of golf championships for amateurs?
Btw I’ve seen amateurgolf.com and golftourney.com. Either they’re missing lot of things or they’ve got pay for info crap.

Sign up for email from all the golf courses you can find and sift through them to find upcoming events.

Yeah it's hard to find unfortunately... But if no one is making $$$, why would they spend their time and money putting something like that together? I know I wouldn't. I keep a spreadsheet of those I do find so I can always look back and know when it's coming and where to look for the information.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We have MAGA here in St. Louis and they are very good about keeping amateur tournaments listed - all the major ones.

http://www.metga.org/2018-schedule-of-events/

Check to see if your local amateur golf association does the same.

Dang. Yea that maga site is nice.

I realize people want to make money. People make it lots of different ways. I can think of more ways than to charge to people who want to play in them that’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is frustrating me. I’ve been searching the Internet for a while now and I cannot find a website dedicated to listing out golf tournaments for amateurs.

has anyone else come across a website that is free that is simply a listing of upcoming or past area golf tournaments open to anybody.

I find websites listing pga tourney. I find websites that want money and list tournaments but oddly I can’t find recent city tournaments that I know happened. So why pay upwards of 50/year to find out about only some tourneys. Idk.

A simple website that’s free that would list upcoming golf tournaments open to anyone. maybe broken down by state or something.

It’s really kind of bothering me. I want to play in some tournaments. I’m not a member at any clubs because I’m fricken poor man. Lol. I need to compete against some serious golfers and club championships are only so good. I’m more looking toward city championships or county. If I can hold my own I’d look into state championships but those are way easier to find out about. Many top championships open to amateurs are hard to get into if you’re not a known player from the area. The mid am was open to mostly invited folks based on status, world ranking, previous wins etc. so if you can’t win a city championship then it’s not like you will get into a more National am event like mid am or western am etc.

Isn’t it odd I can’t find a dedicated site or a site that has a listing of golf championships for amateurs?
Btw I’ve seen amateurgolf.com and golftourney.com. Either they’re missing lot of things or they’ve got pay for info crap.

This is a site for Illinois amateurs......https://www.amateurgolf.com/Tournaments/ByState/IL

Unfortunately the GC Am and Golf Week tours are memberships and I think I paid $88 to join the Golf Week Tour for El Paso. Good thing is the membership fee allows you to play nation wide. It's a start but it appears that you're going to have to pay something for the privilege of competing. My buddy plays in the Virginia Golf Week Tour and the competition is stiff. The fields are very large as well. I don't know about the field sizes in Chicago but I would imagine they're decent.

https://thegolfchannel.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/thegolfchannel18/chapter/ilchicagonorth/schedule/chicago/index.htm

https://amateurgolftour.net/chicago_tour_pages/schedule.asp
https://www.nimaga.org/
https://www.cdga.org/tourmain.asp?id=5

Last edited:
Those are some great resources. I never considered the golf channel am tour.

Thanks for those links

Your Regional and , or, State Golf Association will have a calendar of tournaments within your area.

MassGolf tournaments are up and running for 2019. Amateur Public Links and Four Ball Championships will a bunch of qualifying sites.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Any USGA event is open to anyone all you have to do is sign up and qualify. Provided you meet the handicap requirement 1.4 US Open, 2.4 US AM, and 3.4 US mid am. The CDGA host the Illinois Am. Also try searching the Illinois PGA section they usually run several tournaments are year that are open to am's. I know the Illinois Open is open to both pro's and am's. City championships are usually advertised a local courses.

https://champs.usga.org/index.html
http://www.cdga.org/detail.asp?id=631

MassGolf tournaments are up and running for 2019. Amateur Public Links and Four Ball Championships will a bunch of qualifying sites.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Are you signing up?

You might want to also try your local PGA website. I signed up for ours (northern Ohio PGA) and I receive emails about the upcoming tournament schedules on a regular basis. Signing up for the emails was free as are the notifications.

This looks as a business idea of know mine a little while back (haven't done it though). Basically there is no central list (at least not that I have found)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Any USGA event is open to anyone all you have to do is sign up and qualify. Provided you meet the handicap requirement 1.4 US Open, 2.4 US AM, and 3.4 US mid am. The CDGA host the Illinois Am. Also try searching the Illinois PGA section they usually run several tournaments are year that are open to am's. I know the Illinois Open is open to both pro's and am's. City championships are usually advertised a local courses.

https://champs.usga.org/index.html
http://www.cdga.org/detail.asp?id=631

I signed up for the Illinois mid am and May sign up for the us mid am. Not sure. At 155/pop not cheap to me. Especially for the courses they’re qualifying on lol. But it’ll be good experience because i haven’t played competitively since 2012. So I need to get back at it. I find my handicap drops and I play better. I’m currently 2.1 index. I still think cold climates like this should add 1 whole index point for each 60 day period a score isn’t posted. So after 6 months of winter we can actually play to our indexes hahaha.

Sign up for email from all the golf courses you can find and sift through them to find upcoming events.

Only read the OP and this.

Sadly this is probably your best answer. It’s tough to find much out their on this.

Back