Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Sanzabar,
We had to edit your review as the golf balls are not up to embargo yet. Tune in to the 5th for more details on those.

My mistake, honestly forgot all about deleting that from the notepad.

Fantastic writeups so far guys, I'm really impressed with the tech and the performance gains you've both seen.

What really interests me most, besides the forgiveness, is the higher ballflight. Low shots with my scoring irons have really hurt me over my rounds, so to hear that the ballflight's allowing you to hold more greens has me excited.

Rusty, you mentioned a more penetrating ballflight with the C200s - since you were a sweeper before, were your old GI irons giving you more of a lazy ballflight with your swing? I also tend to hit a bit fat, and can't say I've ever hit an iron with a penetrating ballflight, some of which is my slower swing speed (92-93mph with driver) that I'm working on improving. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I had bio cells and definitely had a more lazy ball flight with them. I think you and I swing about the same speed. During my C200 fitting we noticed that I hit the ball low on the face every time due to me hitting shallow and behind the ball. . I didn't change my swing after #staffproto and so that impact spot didn't change and I still had a high launching ball flight while I played the 200 for a month and a half. I'm excited for this spring to see what flight I'm getting after working on a ball first impact position. Again, it comes down to the technology involved with the C200. It helps you with what you need. I definitely think they would help with your ball flight IMHO.

Love that they have gone from "control" to "crossover" in their FCD categories. Makes tons and tons more sense.

Love that they have gone from "control" to "crossover" in their FCD categories. Makes tons and tons more sense.

Yes sir. THPers got to have direct impact and voice in that decision in 2014 at the THP Event.

Fantastic writeups so far guys, I'm really impressed with the tech and the performance gains you've both seen.

What really interests me most, besides the forgiveness, is the higher ballflight. Low shots with my scoring irons have really hurt me over my rounds, so to hear that the ballflight's allowing you to hold more greens has me excited.

Rusty, you mentioned a more penetrating ballflight with the C200s - since you were a sweeper before, were your old GI irons giving you more of a lazy ballflight with your swing? I also tend to hit a bit fat, and can't say I've ever hit an iron with a penetrating ballflight, some of which is my slower swing speed (92-93mph with driver) that I'm working on improving. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on that.

Deuce, you and I share the same 'cap. You said you have already seen major distance gains, have you seen a scoring drop as well now that you're getting better ballflight into those greens? Also, you mentioned how well the clubs feel, which is something I love about the D100s - can you feel the weight of the clubhead on your backswing and transition to your downswing, or do you lose it at any point?

Your scoring irons will produce a high ball flight that I think you'd love! If you dial the scoring irons in, your scores will improve drastically.

I feel like you are meant to have the C200's.

Some very good reviews so far. They are a pretty iron to my eye and seem like something I would like.

Deuce, you and I share the same 'cap. You said you have already seen major distance gains, have you seen a scoring drop as well now that you're getting better ballflight into those greens? Also, you mentioned how well the clubs feel, which is something I love about the D100s - can you feel the weight of the clubhead on your backswing and transition to your downswing, or do you lose it at any point?

These are right up your alley.
The distance gains are legit, there is no getting around it.

For me the scoring irons are unbelievably impressive. In a season where a swing flaw has really done its number on my golf game these irons have provided some hope over the last few months.
I struggled all year elevating the ball even with the scoring irons. 7I used to be my bread and butter. I still remember getting to the range early with JB and getting swings in with these. The ball just soared off of the face. No more lines drives throughout the bag. Even the low grooves get the ball in the air. The head with the graphite shafts just make it simple.

As cliche as it sounds these things are just high and straight. Oh and if you are pondering a set please get the AW. Club is freaking deadly

These are right up your alley.
The distance gains are legit, there is no getting around it.

For me the scoring irons are unbelievably impressive. In a season where a swing flaw has really done its number on my golf game these irons have provided some hope over the last few months.
I struggled all year elevating the ball even with the scoring irons. 7I used to be my bread and butter. I still remember getting to the range early with JB and getting swings in with these. The ball just soared off of the face. No more lines drives throughout the bag. Even the low grooves get the ball in the air. The head with the graphite shafts just make it simple.

As cliche as it sounds these things are just high and straight. Oh and if you are pondering a set please get the AW. Club is freaking deadly

I really like what I'm hearing about the scoring irons in this set. In a lot of the distance oriented irons I've tried, these have always been the parts of the set I liked the least. If I can get some added distance and short irons that perform like you guys are saying, that sounds fantastic to me.

441, how would you compare these to the 545?

I know a lot of people loved the original Apex's... Granted these might be geared for a different crowd, but I found these leaps and bounds more forgiving.

I really like what I'm hearing about the scoring irons in this set. In a lot of the distance oriented irons I've tried, these have always been the parts of the set I liked the least. If I can get some added distance and short irons that perform like you guys are saying, that sounds fantastic to me.

441, how would you compare these to the 545?
Well as you know im a big fan of the 545s across the board. But i think these are superior to those in the biggest 3 needs for me.
1. Distance
2. Toe forgivess (as proven by the fact jb could hit 2 balls at the same time at the same target with minimal difference in distance.
3. Bottom grooves forgivess- i thought the 545s excelled here but the C200 do as well and even more. The higher ball flights on the thin misses is a welcome site.

Russ, I have shot my best round ever with these clubs, but I have not seen my handicap drop much ... mostly because of other issues with my game. I think I'm headed in the right direction because I feel much more confident when I have these irons in my hands. Lately I've been doing things that I had never done before ... like fly a 9i from ~120 out with a surlyn ball (W/S 50 Elite) and have it land and back up six inches.

As for the clubhead, I don't lose it at any point in my swing. They're lighter than my last set of irons, but the weight is distributed such that you know where the club is at all times.

Really good reviews, Duece, Rusty and Sanzabar. Also great in hand pics to go along with the verbal descriptions. I had a few swings with a 7 iron with Moltens and JohnSInVA, a while back, but I am looking forward to hearing more thoughts and eventually giving them a try in person.

Well as you know im a big fan of the 545s across the board. But i think these are superior to those in the biggest 3 needs for me.
1. Distance
2. Toe forgivess (as proven by the fact jb could hit 2 balls at the same time at the same target with minimal difference in distance.
3. Bottom grooves forgivess- i thought the 545s excelled here but the C200 do as well and even more. The higher ball flights on the thin misses is a welcome site.

Longer than the 545 is impressive, as those clubs have been quite long for me. If Wilson can get these into people's hands, it sounds like these could be a real winner for them.

Longer than the 545 is impressive, as those clubs have been quite long for me. If Wilson can get these into people's hands, it sounds like these could be a real winner for them.
Yeah since my swing was consistently bad all year i can do a apples to apples comparison and they were about a half club longer for me.
My gut tells me it may be a full club in normal conditions as most of my C200 swings were fall and colder conditions.

Good reviews guys, hopefully Wilson can marry the product with a good marketing campaign to gain some traction with this release.

Good reviews guys, hopefully Wilson can marry the product with a good marketing campaign to gain some traction with this release.

This was discussed a lot at Staff Proto. I honestly think they are more excited about this line than any other line before. When Vrska is that excited over something, you know it's a winner. I expect to see these in a lot more stores than normal.

Very thorough reviews and great pictures, gentlemen. Loved the story of flying the green from short range toward the next tee. Classic!

+The look is pretty classy. What I would expect from the old Wilson Staff days.
+Top line looks thinner and as mentioned the slots may help diminish that even more, for some. Slots don't bother me.
+Less offset is critical for me
+Sole looks thinner, less SGI and leaning more toward a players head while still easy to launch
+Feel...always important
+Easy to hit long irons
+Standard shaft options............absolutely perfect for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Good turf interaction
+Scoring clubs that perform is a huge plus vs just a GI head that just pounds the ball and I assume does not grab in he rough
+Feedback on mishits to help improve ball striking
++++When golf companies have fallen by wayside, Wilson Staff is back!!!
-Only negatives, I don't have a set and I might have to finally join Twitter

Great job gentlemen, THP and Wilson Staff!!!!

This was discussed a lot at Staff Proto. I honestly think they are more excited about this line than any other line before. When Vrska is that excited over something, you know it's a winner. I expect to see these in a lot more stores than normal.

I will be over the moon if these land in GolfSmith - not only will I be able to have a true head to head comparison with my D100s to see distance and dispersion, I also have at least $200 in gift certs I can potentially use towards these.

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Yes sir. THPers got to have direct impact and voice in that decision in 2014 at the THP Event.

Now that we're openly talking about these irons. Looking on their website I see a new model in the distance category as well "DEFY". Makes me wonder what's new in the feel side of the line.

I took a couple passes with these last fall at a local gathering. Distance is certainly there, I was seeing a very straight ball that seemed to penetrate very well. First couple balls I incorrectly thought it I was seeing ballooning. With those few swings I was seeing a club longer with a higher trajectory. Long high and straight, sounds like a winning combination for any golfer. Aesthetically I thought they were a little busy for my eye, but that's all a preference issue.

I will be over the moon if these land in GolfSmith - not only will I be able to have a true head to head comparison with my D100s to see distance and dispersion, I also have at least $200 in gift certs I can potentially use towards these.

It's a bit of a hike, but I believe Golfer's Warehouse in Braintree had the Wilson line when I was there last. Though that doesn't help w/ your gift cards.

Be on the lookout... Cause I have a feeling they might be!

Interesting - I just went to the Wilson site and noticed they have a 14 day trial of the D200 for $9.99 - you get a short, mid, and long iron to test out. Would be fantastic if they do something like that w/ the C200.

It's a bit of a hike, but I believe Golfer's Warehouse in Braintree had the Wilson line when I was there last. Though that doesn't help w/ your gift cards.

The only place I was able to see the D200s in person was at Joe and Leighs. The Di11s and D100s I purchased sight unseen based on reviews (and the D100s based on my Di11 experiences), but going forward I'd really like to settle in on one set for the forseeable future, and I'd like to spend some time with these first. Although to be honest, like so many others have pointed out, these irons seem to be custom tailored to golfers like me - speed & height challenged.

Now that we're openly talking about these irons. Looking on their website I see a new model in the distance category as well "DEFY". Makes me wonder what's new in the feel side of the line.

I took a couple passes with these last fall at a local gathering. Distance is certainly there, I was seeing a very straight ball that seemed to penetrate very well. First couple balls I incorrectly thought it I was seeing ballooning. With those few swings I was seeing a club longer with a higher trajectory. Long high and straight, sounds like a winning combination for any golfer. Aesthetically I thought they were a little busy for my eye, but that's all a preference issue.

The D-Fy is fairly new and combines hybrid/iron in a hollow body construction. You get hybrids, hollow body long irons and cavity back (similar to D200 in my opinion) for scoring irons.

If i recall they carried the d100 line in their stores right so man i hope they have these...if those its a steal at the price u will get

Back