keep shaft, change head?

HighCapper

Reaction score
Handicap
The Thread Title isn't quite what I mean. The question is theoretical, at this point. Suppose I find a shaft that is perfect for me ( through CC or another proper fitting process) in my Ping G400 Max driver. Then, along comes a Callaway Super Rogue in 2019 or some such thing. I buy the Super Rogue. Am I done? Do I just switch adapters to the Callaway?

Is the perfect shaft that I have in the Ping G400 Max still my perfect shaft in the Callaway Super Rogue? Or do I have to start the process all over again to find the new perfect shaft for me and my new Super Rogue?

Thanks for your opinions!

... IF you find the right kind of shaft for your swing, it will almost always transfer to a new head. That said, once you find your ideal type of shaft, others may perform better in any given head. For instance, my shaft is a mid flex, mid spin, mid tip stiffness shaft that allows me to maximize my carry and roll, and of course the loading and unloading matches my smooth style swing. So a Rogue Black, Even Flow Blue, Tensei CK Blue, AD-MT, etc all work really well for my swing. But as a 22 index you may or may not have a swing grooved enough to tell a big difference in shafts. Those that release early (many higher index players fall into this category) can play just about anything because the shaft is already unloaded at impact but with a later release your shaft will be dependent on how you unload more so than how fast you swing, so a quick hard hitter will find a completely different shaft works better for them than a long smooth swinger.

Last edited:
Good information, thank you Chisag. Yes, my swing varies way more than yours, swing to swing and day to day. However, this spring I had a Ping fitter put me in a very light SR shaft and found my consistency to be a problem. I bought some after market shafts and have done much better, both consistency and distance. So, I am finding that the shaft matters for me, which makes it fun!

IMO, shafts are the engine of the driver and the head helps dial it in. once you find a shaft that you like and you feel very confident in, then choosing a driver that compliments it gets easier because with most current drivers, lofting up or down can be done in a matter of seconds. Same with lie angle.

i’ll give you my $0.02. head is for fit, shaft is for feel.

the way you respond to the shaft has a much bigger influence on the result of the swing than how the shaft responds to you. so on one hand, finding a shaft that you get along with really well should give you the ability to swing the club similarly as you change heads. this why some fitters start with shaft testing, then finish by finding the right head.

for me, i have had driver heads that performed beautifully no matter what shaft i had in there, and others that were stinkers regardless of which shaft.

i guess my short answer would be no to your hypothetical question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Thread Title isn't quite what I mean. The question is theoretical, at this point. Suppose I find a shaft that is perfect for me ( through CC or another proper fitting process) in my Ping G400 Max driver. Then, along comes a Callaway Super Rogue in 2019 or some such thing. I buy the Super Rogue. Am I done? Do I just switch adapters to the Callaway?

Is the perfect shaft that I have in the Ping G400 Max still my perfect shaft in the Callaway Super Rogue? Or do I have to start the process all over again to find the new perfect shaft for me and my new Super Rogue?

Thanks for your opinions!

Shaft (and swing) is what matters.

Back