New grips, slick?

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My GolfPride MCC grips has been on a few years, so I decided to get some fresh ones. I took the clubs to Golf Galaxy to have them installed. They’re the exact same model.

I went to the range yesterday. It was extremely humid and I swear the new grips feel much more slick than the old ones.

I’m just hoping it’s temporary and over time they will develop some tackiness.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GolfPride MCC grips has been on a few years, so I decided to get some fresh ones. I took the clubs to Golf Galaxy to have them installed. They’re the exact same model.

I went to the range yesterday. It was extremely humid and I swear the new grips feel much more slick than the old ones.

I’m just hoping it’s temporary and over time they will develop some tackiness.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Maybe a stiff brush and some soapy water will make them more tacky. Disappointing I am sure.

Possibly old stock that sitting around for a few years?

Use warm soap and water to wash the grips.

Maybe a stiff brush and some soapy water will make them more tacky. Disappointing I am sure.

Both Ed and Scott make good points - I was thinking maybe there's a little sumthin'-sumthin' left over on the grips from the manufacturing process. A good wash might get whatever-it-is off.

If not, you might check in with GP?

If they used solvent to install the grips then there’s a pretty good chance they were wiped down with a towel either soaked in or at least covered partially with solvent. We used to take a little running alcohol on a towel and wipe off each grip fresh after install to clean the grease/solvent off then hand them to the customer or zip tip them together and stand upside down to let any reside bleed out.

Nothing a gripe or some windex and a towel couldn’t fix

I had the same thing happen, whatever they used to put the grips on was dried on the grip and made them really slick especially if my hands were damp. I cleaned them off with windex, then rinced under a running sink and toweled dry and they tacked right up.

Whiskey

The answer is.... Dri Tacs!!

I know it's all personal feel but I just don't like the MCC type grips. They're not soft, they chew up my hands and gloves, and they're just not grippy.

I know most prefer them but they're just not for me.

Wash 'em after brushing them with a wet brush - might have some spirits on them from the install.

A quick application of Windex and a rinse solved the issue.

Back