Are there hole designs that mess with your head.

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
There are a couple courses I play regularly that have the tee box aligned a little to the left with the fairway being a dogleg right and trouble on the right. These holes have a tendency to mess with me and cause my alignment to get out of whack if I'm not careful in my setup and get a little off with my swing. My miss on both is either a push or a big fade.

are there any hole setups that mess with your mind and what are they?

YES! Split fairways, like this one at Valhalla. I will probably hit it dead straight into the water every single time hahahha

20150603_133054-XL.jpg

Dog legs and/or when the tee box isn't aligned to the fairway... Those are difficult holes for me to get in play.

stupid dog leg rights.

Long ones.

Anything with something to the left of the tee box that blocks a fade.

Holes that go to the left.

Dogleg rights and when the tee boxes aren't aligned to the fairways for me also. A 230 yard forced carry would bring on cold sweats as well.

Anything that makes it so a perfect Driver off the Tee will carry the water... I always try to go for it.... and hear a splash

i can't explain it, but it's very real. sometimes it's when i've played a hole enough times to have mental scars, so knowing all the bad stuff that could happen makes me put bad swings on tee shots. then there are times like earlier this year when i played a course several days in a row, and one particular par 5 really doesn't have any trouble, but i made the worst swings of the day on that tee shot every time, and every time it was a low snap hook. every. single. time.

The yellow course at Bethpage #9 and #18. The greens are just a cart path apart and many times I go after the wrong green.

hard dog legs left. not my friend.

Anything with lateral water along the fairway - especially on the right side. Might as well mark down an 8 and move on.

For me water down the left hand side, 18th at Sawgrass comes to mind immediately!

The one that gets me every time, the not quite reachable par 4 with a MASSIVELY wide fairway. I just over swing and put myself left or right. #8 at El Campeon for example.

Any dog leg left. Stupid fade swing, just have to try to lay up to the corner because it's not happening.

Nice to see fairway and tee box not being aligned is a shared issue.

i don't mind a dogleg right or left so much but lately there is a lomg par 5 dogleg right at one of my regular courses that has me hitting a push...nice thing is where it lands usually allow me a play back into the fairway but usually with 180-200 to green. Seems like an easy hole since it's a three shot hole for all us mere mortals.

Longer par 3's (180-220) it's a distance I don't consistently hit well and just bugs me from the minute I step up to the box.

I'll have to agree on the holes where tee box and fairway aren't aligned.

I often ask myself about these and other odd/bad design choices...are these poorly designed or is it just me?

Anything that runs parallel to a road. I either have to wait until no cars are coming or I end up hitting a huge block/pull away from the road.

I don't like long par 3's.
But I'm not a long hitter, so that would probably explain that...

Straight holes.I hit it so crooked that doglegs help me

My home course has 3 that really screw with me.

#6 pretty straight par 4 but the tee shot is through or over trees. The play is down the left for par or go way right to have a clean/open line at the flag. I can't help but try to drive through the break then swing it up the hill. But the "aggressive" fade leads to some crazy second shots.

#8 slight dog leg right with water all down the right side but plenty of room to the left, if you don't take into account the tree to the left of the tee box. It's not in play but sure messes with me aiming at that dang tree

#18, up and down, fairly straight par 4. The tee box points you down the right side towards OB. Another big tree to the left that isn't in play but still can't make myself aim at it.

Having the tee boxes flush to the left or right of the fairway used to mess with my head.

Any par 3 over water. From the fairway on other holes over water, I don't have an issue but from the tee box on a par 3. That's another story.

Back