2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look into soylent. ;)
Any of you guys have suggestions for easy/quick (aka store bought) snacks or meal replacements. I lift heavy 4x a week and play hoops 1-2x a week. Coach daughters hoops teams all week so schedule is crazy. I use Snickers Marathon Energy bars and milk a bunch but am looking for variety. Those bars are great for me as I suffer from migraines at times induced by variations in blood sugar. Low GI stuff is important for me. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haha, I LOVE tricep kickbacks because they mimic the pool stroke almost perfectly and help staying stable with power/speed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
But they do little for tricep strength

But they do little for tricep strength
I'm not afraid to say when I first started I was doing kickbacks multiple times a week. I was new and thought they were doing something. In a way they totally were because I had never worked out however as things progressed and I started advancing I started to struggle to see results with them using heavier weights just seemed to work the wrong muscles (for me anyways). Once I started an actual program and did rope pulldowns, overhead extensions or even skull crushers I felt what it was like to have my triceps crazy sore haha so idk if they were worthless or not but for me I get more out of other accessory work. Dips seem to work well too.

I'm not afraid to say when I first started I was doing kickbacks multiple times a week. I was new and thought they were doing something. In a way they totally were because I had never worked out however as things progressed and I started advancing I started to struggle to see results with them using heavier weights just seemed to work the wrong muscles (for me anyways). Once I started an actual program and did rope pulldowns, overhead extensions or even skull crushers I felt what it was like to have my triceps crazy sore haha so idk if they were worthless or not but for me I get more out of other accessory work. Dips seem to work well too.
Kickbacks are worthless.

Weights tonight with squats, bench, and deads. Smooth sailing until my work set with deads and I only got 4.5 reps in and pulled as hard as I could and couldn't finish the last rep. I'm going to chalk it up to helping my BIL move yesterday and being a little tired from that, but it was tough even getting the reps I did get. Also, started tracking my intake again for the first time since October and I can see why I'm putting on the pounds, time to get that under control pronto. HIIT tomorrow at some point.

First trip to the gym in 2016 tonight.

People in jeans pedaling on bikes so slow that if they were on a real bike, walking would have been faster. Guys wearing penny loafers sitting on free weight benches staring at their phones.

Can it be March already?

Ranting aside, did 5mi on the bike keeping my heart rate around 130 the whole time save for cooldown, then lots of upper body - hammer curls, dumbbell bench press, rope pulldowns, single arm pulls, shoulder presses. Legs and core work set for Wednesday. Gotta get ready for #THPRegionalRivalry

Weights tonight with squats, bench, and deads. Smooth sailing until my work set with deads and I only got 4.5 reps in and pulled as hard as I could and couldn't finish the last rep. I'm going to chalk it up to helping my BIL move yesterday and being a little tired from that, but it was tough even getting the reps I did get. Also, started tracking my intake again for the first time since October and I can see why I'm putting on the pounds, time to get that under control pronto. HIIT tomorrow at some point.
340 on the DL?

How are the other lifts progressing?

Back to crossfit. I've got 2 more weeks left in this town. So I figured I'll hit up the crossfit everyday being I was charged for the month. Then I'm back on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340 on the DL?

How are the other lifts progressing?
355. Everything else is following the program at this point. I dropped a little weight when I came back from my time off for the grandaddy, but I'm back up to where I was previously; I never dropped weight on my deadlift so that is up much higher than the rest.

355. Everything else is following the program at this point. I dropped a little weight when I came back from my time off for the grandaddy, but I'm back up to where I was previously; I never dropped weight on my deadlift so that is up much higher than the rest.
Good. Reload next session. Are you still power cleaning

Good. Reload next session. Are you still power cleaning
Yes, did it on Friday. Still the same program you started me on.

It's the new year. Never have I seen so many people in jeans and parkas at a gym. It's freakin busy. A lot of people have no idea what they are doing and someone might get hurt.

It's the new year. Never have I seen so many people in jeans and parkas at a gym. It's freakin busy. A lot of people have no idea what they are doing and someone might get hurt.
Think of it as natural selection.

2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

I went home for the Holidays, and you want to talk about crazy. The YMCA just built a brand new, world class(IMO) gym, that opened mid December, they gave new sign up deals, on top of the New Years crowd.

It was miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blu:

Tomorrow is back and biceps.

I have the following planned (No deadlift platform at the office unfortunately)
Lat Pulldowns
Seated Row
Dumbbel Row
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
Dumbbell Incline Curl

I am somewhat sure what you are going to say about the bicep portion especially, but I will wait to hear more.

Squats, press, and deadlifts today. Focused a bit more on the bar position of the squat. I was getting it a bit too low, and I think that was contributing some to my shoulder pain. First time at 200. Nice thing being new is its always a new PR.
Press continues to be the toughest lift for me. Taking a bit more rest than I was at the beginning to get through the sets, which is to be expected.

I need to invest in a good belt, and I need to search for some 1.25# plates so I can continue to progress with the presses when I plateau.

Blu:

Tomorrow is back and biceps.

I have the following planned (No deadlift platform at the office unfortunately)
Lat Pulldowns
Seated Row
Dumbbel Row
Barbell Curl
Hammer Curl
Dumbbell Incline Curl

I am somewhat sure what you are going to say about the bicep portion especially, but I will wait to hear more.

Neutral grip lat pulldown 4x10
Bent over Barbell row 4x12
Barbell curl 4x15
Alternating dumbbell curl 3x8
Chins 3xAMAP

Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of typical bodybuilding type splits. Especially when we can't focus on major lifts that hit the areas we are trying to isolate. But I understand the issues that arise with training spaces.

Squats, press, and deadlifts today. Focused a bit more on the bar position of the squat. I was getting it a bit too low, and I think that was contributing some to my shoulder pain. First time at 200. Nice thing being new is its always a new PR.
Press continues to be the toughest lift for me. Taking a bit more rest than I was at the beginning to get through the sets, which is to be expected.

I need to invest in a good belt, and I need to search for some 1.25# plates so I can continue to progress with the presses when I plateau.
Get a belt. I love belts.

As long as you're hitting 5s, keep going. Don't microload when you don't have to. You're giving up gainzzzz

I just ordered an Inzer belt and can't wait for it to arrive. Little bit more expensive but I like the lever system on my buddies and it's very nice quality.

I just ordered an Inzer belt and can't wait for it to arrive. Little bit more expensive but I like the lever system on my buddies and it's very nice quality.
Time to get that squat up around 455x5.
As Rippetoe said during a podcast interview, "455 ain't heavy!"

Time to get that squat up around 455x5.
As Rippetoe said during a podcast interview, "455 ain't heavy!"
Ooof haha well I certainly would love that as a goal, will be awhile tho. I was curious so I was looking up current records and totals at 181lbs and they were nuts lol good god those numbers are crazy. Least I know those guys are like 5'7 and not 6'2+ natty

Ooof haha well I certainly would love that as a goal, will be awhile tho. I was curious so I was looking up current records and totals at 181lbs and they were nuts lol good god those numbers are crazy. Least I know those guys are like 5'7 and not 6'2+ natty

Ha. Also, if it's IPF or a lot of other federations, those are equipped lifts. All kinds of suits and reduced ROM form. And enough "supplementation" to make Arod blush

Get a belt. I love belts.

As long as you're hitting 5s, keep going. Don't microload when you don't have to. You're giving up gainzzzz
Oh I'm not ready to micro load just yet. Sticking with the 5s as long as I can. Still hoping to get together with Brodie to get some form help.

Oh I'm not ready to micro load just yet. Sticking with the 5s as long as I can. Still hoping to get together with Brodie to get some form help.
Send him an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back