Do You Know How To Score?

I like to think I have been much better with this over the last few years. Learning to take chances when it's timely and to be patient when you are facing tough challenges.

JB takes away my post idea in the first line......darn it.

I tend to be too conservative sometimes.

I like to think I know how to score, and I don't think I fit any of the descriptions.

In 2015, I focused more on course management and not always trying to hit it as far as I can. As a result (at least somewhat), I had my first 3-birdie round and my first 4-birdie round. In 2016, it's all about combining those birds with no big numbers and no compounded mistakes.

I don't even know how to describe my game right now. I used to be savagely aggressive all the time and it kept my handicap up but now I've come back the other way.

I'm probably too conservative at times and not taking enough chances.

You could probably put me in the 1 category. Knowing I have the ability to pull off the shot makes it hard for me to throttle back.

I'm probably #2.

I use to play more aggressive, but now I am quite timid on the course as I seriously fear the big number on the scorecard.

I do know when I need to be aggressive in competition, I can be, but more often than not, I am quite conservative.

I used to be balls to the wall, going for every shot. Rounds would have multiple doubles and birdies. Last part of last season I played more conservative and had rounds with no doubles or birdies. Still trying to find the right balance

I am all over the map with this and need help. It can probably be attributed to not playing enough golf with people who score well.

This would probably be a good THP radio or instructional series though. "Panda's guide to greater golf" or more info from the mystery woman referred to in the 1st post.

number one fits me the most. I used to and still sometime repeat, often out loud," I didn't come here to played scared". and sometimes that attitude cost me a big number!

I am definitely a little too aggressive at some points, but am learning much better game management as time goes on, so hopefully soon I will know how to score

I think I am definitely more #2.

I play pretty darn conservative and only take risks when the consequences are minimal. I used to be very much the opposite, but my time on THP has taught me how to think my way around a golf course. This style has allowed me to score by not shooting myself in the foot.

Before, big numbers came from poor choices and bad swings, now when I put up a big number its because I didn't execute my shot.

Now this doesn't mean I'm laying up on par 3s or not trying to reach in two. Instead, it's about hitting to a number and choosing my moment.

Last edited:
I think I am more number 2 although every once in a while I will Go for the stupid hero shot and then usually regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every once in a while I would play the reds at my home course. There are like 6 or 7 driveable par 4's so it gets me comfortable with tying to make tons of birdies. You might get a few double takes with people going wtf are you playing the reds for but I don't care.

I used to be #1 for sure. The last couple of years though, I have really improved here, and I make better decisions now. Losing length made me do things differently - things that if I had done before when I was longer probably would have given me a lower HC.

I don't fit any of these. When I was in my teens and 20's I was ball to the walls and made a lot of unnecessary bogies and doubles. Sometime around the age of 30 I learned what "one shot at a time meant" and also learned much better course management. The proof to me if someone knows how to score is what they do on courses they have never played before. Over Christmas break I played 3 courses in Florida that were new to me. One of them I shot 8 strokes over my index but on the other two I shot even par(-0.4 differential) and 74 (1.0 differential). When you know how to score your handicap will travel well.

Depends for me. If it is a course that I know really well I know when I can go big and when I need to hold back. If it new to me I will go balls to the wall. I have learned over the years with a new course that if I play that way then I learn faster where to risk it and where to hold back. It also depends on how I am hitting the ball that day as well. Good ball striking usually leads to me taking a few more chances than I normally would.

I would say no I don't and I think I'm probably #1

I think I do mentally but getting the swings to align doesn't always happen, that part will come as growth happens and can rely on consistency, these answers should vary because some players potentials are different. Some players score with birdies and eagles, others score with pars and bogeys. All relative to your games current status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. & 3. fit me pretty well but I have been trying to get better and play smarter, especially since I don't hit it as far as I used to.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm learning how to score. I used to be full throttle every hole trying to make par or better. I realized last year that trying to pick spots where to be more aggressive has definitely helped improved my scoring overall. Much like Kenny Rodgers said (well before his amazing chicken), you've got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em...

I know how to score it's the execution part that I struggle with. Knowing how my ball is going to react with each of my clubs and my distances really helps me choose the right approach.

At my current skill level (17 cap) I'm still pretty conservative - keep it in play, keep it in front of me, no big numbers. Given the choice between pin hunting on a tight pin or going after the middle of the green... these days I will take the latter.

Skill-wise, right now, I just go for keeping the damage to a minimum. If I can go for a green, I do, if there isn't score-jacking danger. I avoid as many hazards as I can, because, well, I'm not that good, LOL.

Over the 40 years of playing golf, I have gone through all 3 of those phases.
I think in the last 6 or 8 years, I have gotten a lot smarter on my chance taking.
Do I take chances and "go for the shot" ? Yes, but when I feel the time and conditions are right.
I feel I am not too conservative nor am I a balls to the wall kind of guy. I fall in the middle there somewhere and I think it has helped my game and hdcp quite a bit.

Back