Fairway wood replacement

hedley_lamarr08

Happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Last month or so I've struggled greatly with my 3 wood. I was hitting it well but found no accuracy advantage off the tee against my driver, and one in every 5 shots would be excellent, 1 so so, and 3 would leave me wondering why I pulled it from the bag. I was thinking that I would naturally hit a 5 wood better but on a launch monitor it provides nothing extra that my 3H doesn't already provide in distance or accuracy. My question for you guys is kind of dumb. I'm sure not many of you have had the chance to hit the Srixon hybrid that was just released, but I'm looking for some feedback on the Mizuno CLK and the new Srixon in a 2H. The Ping 2H isn't adjustable and this will be most likely a driver replacement for accuracy with a little distance loss. My 3H is around 220 yards and driver is around 250-260 carry and can turn left at times. Looking for something that would play around 240 from the tee that is easy to hit I guess.

I forgot to include Wilson D300/C200 and Cobra. Not closed to any brand, just want something I can rely on to help me fix this issue

Have you tried hitting the G400 5 wood? I know you said you tried a 5 wood but didn’t state which one. I find it’s one of the easiest ones out there to hit. I’ve hit the Mizuno and found it was a very good club, however it’s not as forgiving as some of the others out there. Hope you find what you need.

Have you tried hitting the G400 5 wood? I know you said you tried a 5 wood but didn’t state which one. I find it’s one of the easiest ones out there to hit. I’ve hit the Mizuno and found it was a very good club, however it’s not as forgiving as some of the others out there. Hope you find what you need.

I hit the 5 wood G400 against the 3 hybrid and almost no difference to justify considering a purchase.

Is the poor strikes more due to not enough loft or too long of a shaft? I see in your signature that you use a lot of hybrids so going to an additional hybrid would make sense. However if the issue is more of not enough left then a 2 hybrid really won't help too much.

I would recommend looking at some older hybrids. The F7 is adjustable down to 16*, taylormade has some 16* hybrids. Those would be cheap options. The srixon from most reviews seems to be a low spinning hybrid. Titleist also makes a fairly low spin hybrid in the h2 (adjustable to 16.5* I believe).

Really this is the hardest part of the bag. The gentleman I played with today had an old sldr 2 hybrid with a steel rifle 6.5 shaft in it and that just happened to work for him. Try something and pick whatever works the best for you on the course.

I bought the 5 hybrid more as a novelty and fell in love with it hahaha I think its mostly the poor strikes from shaft length. I get enough speed and when I hit the three wood the way its intended its a monster. I just can't trust or depend on that happening. Low spin is okay with me because I want the run out as well. I'm not a player that's going to be reaching any 550 yard par 5s. I have 475-500 isn't unreasonable. The Mizuno CLK reviews are great, so is the Wilson C300. I'm figuring 16 degrees for tee shots and low runners would be ideal. The CLK being able to drop to 14 and 15 degrees (for tee shots) is intriguing.

I don't even carry a 3 wood anymore. I went to a Rogue Heavenwood and love it, much easier to hit and not really that much shorter than I was hitting my old 3 wood. I have also pondered a 4 wood, 16.5 to 17 degrees still easier to hit off the deck than a 15* club.

Rogue 5 wood fills a 220-230 space in my bag. Easy to hit solidly. Worth a try.

Back