TomTom Golfer Premium Edition - THP Review

Nice update Dan. Like you I am a fan of the rubberized band on the og version. I was hoping they would add the distance tracking capability in this version, while not a show stopped it is a nice feature to use.

Money aside does it make sense for someone with the og version to get this one?

I don't think there's anything different about the device itself, just the strap and added features (one of which you can buy - http://tomtom.com/en_us/sports/accessories/mounts-docks/trolley-mount/ for 20 dollars).

For me? I don't think I would upgrade with the rubberized strap being my preference. I think this piece is perfect for those who are pursuing whether they want something that wipes clean and looks golf-ish (the rubber strap) or the fancier leather. That's the 100 dollar decision (excluding the ball marker strap mount + cart accessories) as the original TomTom Golfer is discounted to 200 right now.

I am actually kind of surprised they don't sell a variety of straps. The white and the blue rubberized ones look really good.

Great updates Dan. Your issues with the watch to distances on front/middle/back of the green is what holds me back from getting a GPS unit like that.

I do like the leather band as well on this.

There were some definite errors the other day, there's no question about it .... But it was also cloudy. Everything I hit today was spot on from my vantage point.

I do think you're at the mercy of the course mapping quality. I find it extremely strange that two of the holes on my home course lack hazard/bunker info as well as front/back info. That makes it quite clear that your experience will change from course to course as I found out with the original TomTom review and the lack of inconsistency (good thing of course).

Here are some photos between the TomTom and actual sat images. Surprisingly accurate on the greenshape and everything. Very cool.

Hole11-S.png

Hole10-S.png

Hole14-S.png

Hole15-S.png

Hole16-S.png

Hole18-S.png

What do you think?

Dan, out of curiousity,are you seeing issues with what's it's showing you off the tee or on layups, or just hitting into the greens?

The comparison pics look good. Really does show a good representation of the green and hazards.
Thanks Dan.

Great review, Dan. The watch looks great and the features are really cool, but I do have some concerns about the pics of the watch next to the pics of the actual course. I know there's only so much they can do with that display, but for that price, it should be spot on, IMO. Very good info.

Great review, Dan. The watch looks great and the features are really cool, but I do have some concerns about the pics of the watch next to the pics of the actual course. I know there's only so much they can do with that display, but for that price, it should be spot on, IMO. Very good info.

Well, that's where we differ a bit. For the size of the watch, I think it's relatively remarkable that they have the green shapes as accurate as they are.

I do think there's room for improvement, but that has a lot more to do with their course database than the unit itself.

I've never worn a regular watch while playing.

Does one notice it?

that band is sharp! Liking the looks plus the versatility of attaching to my push cart. I like the little guy on the ball marker too. Looks cool.

Hole 6 from Satellite
Hole%206%20Sat-M.png

Hole 6 from TomTom
Hole%206-M.jpg

Hole 6 was a big concern of mine. here's an image on the GPS of my approach:
Hole%206%20approach-M.jpg

My Rangefinder hit the flag (back right) at 124 yards with some room behind it. That's obviously a huge miss, but I don't really understand why. As you can see with the sat image, the green really isn't that weird.

I wanted to follow up on this particular number as I made sure to pay attention today. I hit the middle of the green, close to the back of the green, and the front of the green with my laser... Then checked the TomTom watch and all the numbers looked right.

Not really sure what happened on this sample from a week or so ago, but it's clear that it was just a misread. Could have something to do with how cloudy it was, although there were clouds present today and my numbers were dead on most of the day.

I love this watch for easy numbers, although I found myself lasering as an additional element all the way through my round today. I did so because I love the added confidence that it gives me, however I think I have a solution that would adequately accommodate me, and make me feel less likely to try and get a dead-on number.

When you go to the right on the touch pad, it brings up any hazards along the hole, and hitting up on the trackpad brings up three numbers. L100, L150, and L200. Basically, the numbers it would take to have each of those left to the hole. While I think some would find that number very useful, I haven't used it very much at all. I check the distance to the hole, and hit to 100 yards. Simple math in my books.

6dffa6e96ab47d9841c8a6fc0521fa88.jpg

I think rather than having this info, I'd prefer reference points on the green shown, as hitting up once again on the pad shows the green, a flag, and any trouble surrounding it. As the flag does not move at all, it seems like an unnecessary element. Rather, I'd like to see three reference points, and the numbers to those reference points shown below.

What my goal is here, is to get a very clear understanding of how the device is defining front/middle/back, leaving zero guessing in the equation. It is, of course, a matter of preference and one that I might stand alone on, but it's one of the biggest things that stops me from committing to a GPS watch over other devices.

Add that to this device, along with a distance tracker, and it's very unlikely that I use anything else on course to measure distance.

Good review Dan. I like my tomtom from last year and probably won't upgrade for the leather strap or the cart mount but those are two good options for someone lookik go to buy a tomtom.

I really dig the cart mount. This was a very well thought out review.

Great review Dan! I like the features. When I need a new one this will definitely be on my list.

Really good review here Dan. I love the ability to see "yardage" left to the green and what is required to get there. The overcast issues does pose a little concern but not enough that would stop me from gaming this one, really like the detachable face for ease of mounting to a cart also.

I really dig the cart mount. This was a very well thought out review.

I found it to be very useful for those who aren't interested in wearing the watch on any given day, but still want to enjoy the features. Also great to see that they sell it separately for those who already own the regular Golfer GPS.

What I'd love to see, is them offer the other bands as well in their 'accessories' section. Would be nice to opt for leather on great days, and something like the rubber on days where a lot of sweat will likely be present.

Back