Epon AF-505 Iron Review

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I decided to go whole hog on my iron set and have a set of Epon AF-505 irons (4-PW) being built for me. A quick search revealed there hasn't been much talk about Epon irons around here in quite awhile so I'm creating this thread to review my set once it arrives. Until then, here's some info on the set from the Epon site!

Source: https://epongolf.us/index.php/products/irons/

AF-505 description

"With the new AF-505, EPON set out to create an iron that combined the unparalleled forgiveness and ball-speed of the 503 and 705 models with the traditional forged feel and workability of the AF-Tour models. By using a revolutionary new forging technique, they were able to meet that goal by producing an iron with the thinnest face of any 1-piece forging in the world that feels like a blade but performs like a super game-improvement iron. The addition of a new perimeter weighting system lowers the CG allowing for less offset and a shorter blade length compared to the AF-503 while still increasing overall MOI."

Specifications

Club 456789PW
Loft 22252831354045
Lie 60.56161.56262.56363.5
Offset 3.63.43.23.02.82.62.4

cuQ51Bml.jpg

af-505.png

Now I'll be gaming mine at the stated lofts, but my set will be bent 2* up. Having gamed the MP18s, I think I'll have a good feel for the footprint and distance, but from everything I've read and heard the Epons feel even better than Mizunos. This excites me as most of you know Mizuno makes fantastic feeling irons! I'm pretty pumped about getting these in my bag especially since they're part of my '40th birthday' build!

My set will be paired with Modus3 Tour130s hard stepped with midsize Tour Velvet grips at swing weight D3 (4-9) and D4 (PW). Feel free to post any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. All I ask is that comments like 'you'll sell them in a week', etc are kept to other threads as I would like this thread to actually be helpful for anyone who may be considering going this route.

All aboard the JDM goodness train!!!

Last edited:
What’s the $ damage for a set of these? We’re these the #1 in your fitting, performing better than your 790s?

What’s the $ damage for a set of these? We’re these the #1 in your fitting, performing better than your 790s?

Yeah these were his first recommendation, but I really didn't give them a good look until a couple weeks after the fact. I did like the design, but I didn't like the shaft he had in the one I tried. They definitely felt better than the P790s, but they were a bit shorter. I paid $1620 just for the iron heads (4-PW) and that was with a pretty good discount. All said mine will come out cheaper than the PXG Gen2 so I'm good with that!

Yeah these were his first recommendation, but I really didn't give them a good look until a couple weeks after the fact. I did like the design, but I didn't like the shaft he had in the one I tried. They definitely felt better than the P790s, but they were a bit shorter. I paid $1620 just for the iron heads (4-PW) and that was with a pretty good discount. All said mine will come out cheaper than the PXG Gen2 so I'm good with that!

why did he recommend these over your p790s? sorry if you already answered that in your other thread but i don’t recall seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epon AF-505 Iron Review

why did he recommend these over your p790s? sorry if you already answered that in your other thread but i don’t recall seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all good! The fitter thought the sole of the AF-505s would be a better fit, but seeing how he was all about charging full MSRP and more for the set it wasn't even an option. That and I think the Epons are probably easier to work with than the P790s.

Last edited:
Those are bad ass.

Beautiful irons! Good luck.

Will the 2* stronger have an impact on turf interaction from the std loft?

Will the 2* stronger have an impact on turf interaction from the std loft?

They’ll be standard loft, but will be 2° upright.

My Epons will arrive Friday so I'll have some in hand pics along with some thoughts on the JDM goodness!

Nothing more exciting than seeing and hitting a new club for the first time. Especially after a Joe Kwok fitting. Looking forward to the review...

They're here!!! I'll be posting thoughts and pics this weekend after I get them to the range!

MK0ShNRl.jpg

Kewl - looking forward to it.

Solid look - I hope they work out for you.

I predict Josh’s hands might look like the pic below after putting the new irons to the test on the driving range. Pretty cool day for any golfer hitting new irons for the first time. Especially after getting fitted and waiting patiently for the new sticks to arrive...

2Z9pcG0.jpg

Those look nice! Interested to see how they compare to the P790’s. I’m still waiting on my PXG’s but I continue to get annoyed with the P790 and the singular high shot it produces.

Flanges look wide. Is there the V sole? Looking forward to your assessment after hitting them.

Flanges look wide. Is there the V sole? Looking forward to your assessment after hitting them.

The sole is a little wider, but it’s similar to the z565s. And yes, there is a v-sole! I’m hoping to get to the range this evening so I’ll have some more info posted soon.

Those are so sweet looking Hicksta I hope they work out for you. Totally unrelated I'm writing my congressman an e-mail about military pay being too high.

Was making the heel/toe weights heavier on one side over the other ever part of the discussion for fitting?

Those are so sweet looking Hicksta I hope they work out for you. Totally unrelated I'm writing my congressman an e-mail about military pay being too high.

Was making the heel/toe weights heavier on one side over the other ever part of the discussion for fitting?

Please, I’m an example of your tax dollars hard at work :D

We actually didn’t discuss adjusting heel or toe weights. The main determination regarding weight was just the overall swing weights.

Exciting times for the CHA Prez! Great looking clubs, man. Looking forward to your feedback.

Alright, I finally got these out to the range and bottom line is I'm glad I went this direction because these irons are superb! I thought I'd be hard pressed to find irons that felt better than Miuzno irons and the feel is probably my favorite thing about the AF-505s. Since this was my first range session I was just firing at random flags working though my bag and hitting a mix of shots off the grass and tees for the long irons. The one thing I immediately noticed was how well I could feel the club head, which is something I've never experienced with other irons. That's more of a product of the club build, but I'm happy about it nonetheless! I'll be post more thoughts and such as I get more time with the irons, but I couldn't be happier with how my set turned out.

Back