Hurricane Florence

Misike

Live in the Present
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It looks like latest reports have it possibly strengthening to a CAT 4 storm, as well as continuing east with a decent chance of hitting somewhere in the Carolinas as early as Wednesday or Thursday next week.

Any of our east coast THP’ers tracking this one yet? Are they making a big deal about this yet on the local news?

Hoping it turns out to sea and doesn’t hit you all. And me, since I’ll be flying down there Monday for a week long golf trip. I was also on a trip down there for Hurricane Mathew in 2016 and had to cut things short and head back home.

Walmart here has been cleared out. And we’re a hundred miles inland.

This is a live feed from the local Walmart actually.

giphy.gif

I think best case would be if it would turn east. Aren't they projecting it to continue west at this point?

Seems to be a pattern. Last year, I had reserved my dad 5 nights at the Wyndham in Myrtle Beach and had to change it last minute because of another hurricane. Looks like I might have to do it again this year. What is it about the week after Labor Day?

Local news stations are starting their annual "how to prepare", "know your evacuation zone" stories. Weather is the first story on the news. Just last week I checked my hurricane kit to see what needed replacing. Bought some new batteries.

Local news stations are starting their annual "how to prepare", "know your evacuation zone" stories. Weather is the first story on the news. Just last week I checked my hurricane kit to see what needed replacing. Bought some new batteries.

You can’t forget bleach, bottled water and bread. Even you already have those things.

You can’t forget bleach, bottled water and bread. Even you already have those things.
My hurricane kit has a gallon of bleach and I have 2 cases of water in the garage (they had a bogo last week). Have a loaf of bread in the freezer. I will need to charge up my solar charger for my phone and tablet.

I think best case would be if it would turn east. Aren't they projecting it to continue west at this point?

Seems to be a pattern. Last year, I had reserved my dad 5 nights at the Wyndham in Myrtle Beach and had to change it last minute because of another hurricane. Looks like I might have to do it again this year. What is it about the week after Labor Day?

september 10th is the official peak/busiest time for hurricanes in the area.

Keepin an eye on it. More than likely won't go any where evac wise. Ill have about 20-30 gallons of water at the ready, my med kit I use for work is always here at the house which includes plenty of bandages, gauze, wraps, splints, etc, my AED, flashlights, portable charger, batteries will need to be bought tomorrow, and cash just in case.

Hopefully it stays on the course the euro and GFS models have it going. Both have it going a bit more north ish of myrtle, stalling a bit and then running up the coast. Unfortunate for OBX and coastal VA if it holds.

My sister lives in Norfolk and I guess they are just looking at bad rain, but it floods so bad there, so they are preparing for some major flooding.

My wife was planning on going to Myrtle on Friday to visit family. Told her not to start packing yet until we see what happens over the next few days.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all of our fellow THP'ers and their families affected, hope it is not as bad as it sounds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thinking of you east coast folks - hope all the dire forecasts are wrong!

Any of our east coast THP’ers tracking this one yet? Are they making a big deal about this yet on the local news?
Yeah. Since the thing is seemingly tracking directly over our house. My family is packing up their place in MB and heading to Nashville. We're a bit more inland and will shelter in place. Matthew knocked out our power for about 4 or 5 days IIRC. Looking into grabbing a generator before it is too late (may already be).

ETA: Yep, pretty much impossible to find a reasonably priced generator locally at this point. So if we lose power, we'll lose the contents of the refrigerator. We have plenty of batteries, and camping supplies, and other gear to make our stay somewhat comfortable, and my wife isn't pregnant this time around so losing the AC won't be as unbearable as it was with Matthew.

Last edited:
My sister lives in Norfolk and I guess they are just looking at bad rain, but it floods so bad there, so they are preparing for some major flooding.

They’re going to be looking at some major flooding and wind. The biggest issue is most models show this thing hitting the East Coast and just stalling for like a day or so. That’s never good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife was planning on going to Myrtle on Friday to visit family. Told her not to start packing yet until we see what happens over the next few days.

Myrtle Beach will be getting a lot of storm surge and rain. They will have flooding as I usually do. Floods pretty bad in that area. Unfortunately if we get the flooding that they are expecting, then a lot of people be Hhurting for a longtime.

Yeah. Since the thing is seemingly tracking directly over our house. My family is packing up their place in MB and heading to Nashville. We're a bit more inland and will shelter in place. Matthew knocked out our power for about 4 or 5 days IIRC. Looking into grabbing a generator before it is too late (may already be).

ETA: Yep, pretty much impossible to find a reasonably priced generator locally at this point. So if we lose power, we'll lose the contents of the refrigerator. We have plenty of batteries, and camping supplies, and other gear to make our stay somewhat comfortable, and my wife isn't pregnant this time around so losing the AC won't be as unbearable as it was with Matthew.

Stay safe. We are more than likely going to hunker down as well.

They’re going to be looking at some major flooding and wind. The biggest issue is most models show this thing hitting the East Coast and just stalling for like a day or so. That’s never good

Yeah, she said they are looking at historical flooding. She's freaking out because her husband is a helicopter pilot in the Navy and already got the orders that he is flying out to Ft Knox so he can be ready to go for relief efforts when the time comes. So she is going to be alone. They went out this weekend and got a generator and a portable AC so at least she has that. She doesn't handle emergency situations all that well (ironic since she is a doctor), so I am a bit worried about her.

I told her to just fly here and stay with me. She hasn't' responded to me yet.

Yeah, she said they are looking at historical flooding. She's freaking out because her husband is a helicopter pilot in the Navy and already got the orders that he is flying out to Ft Knox so he can be ready to go for relief efforts when the time comes. So she is going to be alone. They went out this weekend and got a generator and a portable AC so at least she has that. She doesn't handle emergency situations all that well (ironic since she is a doctor), so I am a bit worried about her.

I told her to just fly here and stay with me. She hasn't' responded to me yet.

I hope she does - I wish I'd listend to folks who said to head out of Houston for the weekend when Harvey hit!

Myrtle Beach will be getting a lot of storm surge and rain. They will have flooding as I usually do. Floods pretty bad in that area. Unfortunately if we get the flooding that they are expecting, then a lot of people be Hhurting for a longtime.

Yeah, I lived through the aftermath of a couple when I lived in that area and she even more so being born and raised in Conway. Unless the path changes significantly over the next couple of days, she will be staying home in south GA.

I hope she does - I wish I'd listend to folks who said to head out of Houston for the weekend when Harvey hit!

She said no. She doesn't want to leave her house, and she doesn't want to be stranded outside the city where she can't get back to her patients. I told her she is crazy, but she is stubborn (I get it, I did the same thing for Irma last year when I was alone because JB was in Chicago).

The part that scares me is that she is 4 months pregnant, and an extra special kind of crazy right now, so if she does flood bad and is stranded at home, she will not handle that well.

She said no. She doesn't want to leave her house, and she doesn't want to be stranded outside the city where she can't get back to her patients. I told her she is crazy, but she is stubborn (I get it, I did the same thing for Irma last year when I was alone because JB was in Chicago).

The part that scares me is that she is 4 months pregnant, and an extra special kind of crazy right now, so if she does flood bad and is stranded at home, she will not handle that well.

Wow hats off to her for staying for her patients. Perhaps she could stay at the hospital? That way she's not on her own?

Wow hats off to her for staying for her patients. Perhaps she could stay at the hospital? That way she's not on her own?

That's what I said! They have the backup generators, food, etc, and she has an office she can stay in. They just bought their house (an old 1930's home) a few months ago, and she is so afraid of what could happen to her house she wants to stay there. She's super stubborn.

That's what I said! They have the backup generators, food, etc, and she has an office she can stay in. They just bought their house (an old 1930's home) a few months ago, and she is so afraid of what could happen to her house she wants to stay there. She's super stubborn.

Well I get it - I do. But it's just a thing, that house. I lost some things in Harvey, but I didn't lose some ONE, so that's how I quantify it.

Anyway, still thinking of her, and you, and Maric and Papajohick and Daze and Deuce and everyone else that-a-ways.

Well I get it - I do. But it's just a thing, that house. I lost some things in Harvey, but I didn't lose some ONE, so that's how I quantify it.

Anyway, still thinking of her, and you, and Maric and Papajohick and Daze and Deuce and everyone else that-a-ways.

Agreed. Thinking about everyone and hoping for the best!

Back