Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Ordered my GBB 9* with KK regular shaft today... can't wait to get it in the bag!!!

How many players using the GBB found the stock KK shaft to be the best fit?
I mentioned in another post, my wife told me that she will buy me a GBB driver, as part Christmas part birthday present.
So I called into a local golf store where the GBB is reduced in a sale to €449.
I discussed the driver with the store manager and suggested for that price that I would want to be fitted for the club. I also mentioned that Callaway offer a number of different shaft upgrades at no up charge. He said that they only had two shafts the KK and the speeder.
The store does have a flightscope but they would only be able to tell me what flex would be the best fit, as they aren't really set up for a proper fitting.
The manager suggested that I could buy the driver with the KK shaft and if I wanted to change it he would order one in once there was no up charge.
It's not really a good scenario. There isn't many places around to get fitted properly.

I was I. The minority that didn't love the KK but I know a lot of people do.

I didn't do a fitting but did try all the shafts available on a foresight monitor. For my low 90's swing speed the 10.5 with Speeder 565 in Stiff gave me the best numbers. Just didn't care for the Kuro. I Took the Speeder 10.5 combo out to the course for a round and it didn't disappoint. Liked the shaft so much I bought one for my g30 and it was a turd. It launched so high that I lost 20 yds compared to the Tour 65 R flex I normally game. Odd how a shaft can work in one head and not the other.

I didn't like the KK but that's because I prefer a heavier shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mentioned in another post, my wife told me that she will buy me a GBB driver, as part Christmas part birthday present.
I discussed the driver with the store manager and suggested for that price that I would want to be fitted for the club. I also mentioned that Callaway offer a number of different shaft upgrades at no up charge. He said that they only had two shafts the KK and the speeder.
The store does have a flightscope but they would only be able to tell me what flex would be the best fit, as they aren't really set up for a proper fitting.
The manager suggested that I could buy the driver with the KK shaft and if I wanted to change it he would order one in once there was no up charge.
It's not really a good scenario. There isn't many places around to get fitted properly.

I got the best numbers out of the kk r flex , tried the kk stiff but the r flex was better also
tried the speeder in both flex and kk r was the ticket .
Sweet driver more forgiving than my bb alpha and longer in my testing . My ss is 90-93 range hope this helps.
gb

For my low 90's swing speed the 10.5 with Speeder 565 in Stiff gave me the best numbers. Just didn't care for the Kuro. I Took the Speeder 10.5 combo out to the course for a round and it didn't disappoint.

Odd how a shaft can work in one head and not the other.

Cheers erock. Your numbers are very similar to mine, so that's interesting
That's the thing, I would like to find the best combo so to unlock the drivers full potential....then it would be up to me to play my part!!!

I was fit into the stock KK in a regular flex. Swing speed is right around 95mph.
GBB added about 20 yds in carry to my current gamer (RBZ Stage 2) and my miss radius was so much tighter.

Club arrived yesterday...can't wait to get out and put it in play.

Looking forward to your thoughts lemmi.

.....so I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered one to replace my trusty XHot 9.5. I do find the optifit a bit confusing compared to the simpler Xhot incarnation so I'm using +1/N right now. It would make more sense to have lie on one cog and loft on the other but they are sort of split out between them so this will probably be a continuing experiment.

It's been to the range but finally getting a round in this Saturday. My local outdoor course/range/supershop had the stock shafts available that I have tested a few times (KK 50 R/S, Speeder R/S, KK 60 R/S) and I ended up with the 50 S. Driver swing speed is still right at 100.

I am okay with the lighter shaft since I would occasionally load a B.Asha 4s into my Xhot but I will say the reason I usually just stuck with the Kai'li 60 s in my Xhot was that it just found way more fairways, even though it wasn't as long. If I start having that same snapper problem with the KK 50s I'll look for something a bit heavier as well. I tried the Speeder 665 in R/S and didn't like either of them, they just felt dead to me.

The good thing is I'm sure Callaway pre-owned will have multiple shafts to go grab for the GBB if one wanted to experiment.

I haven't tried the KK 60 in the GBB, but I did in a different head. I fought it though, struggled to make good contact and didn't care for the feel. I really like the Speeder 665 in the GBB though, feels a lot smoother to me. Different swing speeds and transitions make all the difference in the world though.

.....so I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered one to replace my trusty XHot 9.5. I do find the optifit a bit confusing compared to the simpler Xhot incarnation so I'm using +1/N right now. It would make more sense to have lie on one cog and loft on the other but they are sort of split out between them so this will probably be a continuing experiment.

It's been to the range but finally getting a round in this Saturday. My local outdoor course/range/supershop had the stock shafts available that I have tested a few times (KK 50 R/S, Speeder R/S, KK 60 R/S) and I ended up with the 50 S. Driver swing speed is still right at 100.

I am okay with the lighter shaft since I would occasionally load a B.Asha 4s into my Xhot but I will say the reason I usually just stuck with the Kai'li 60 s in my Xhot was that it just found way more fairways, even though it wasn't as long. If I start having that same snapper problem with the KK 50s I'll look for something a bit heavier as well. I tried the Speeder 665 in R/S and didn't like either of them, they just felt dead to me.

The good thing is I'm sure Callaway pre-owned will have multiple shafts to go grab for the GBB if one wanted to experiment.

Hope you find a shaft that works for you. Good thing there are so many options out there. Just goes to show how everyone is different, the Speeder 665 is what ended up being the best shaft for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DotD thread was my downfall, I ordered a used CALLAWAY GREAT BIG BERTHA 13.5°. It has the Bassara 42 in a senior flex but I do have 4 regular flex shafts with the Callaway adapter so that is not a problem. Because of the holiday I won't get it until the end of next week but I am excited to get it. I got it for $258 in very good condition so it was a great deal.

I think you are going to like it DD

The DotD thread was my downfall, I ordered a used CALLAWAY GREAT BIG BERTHA 13.5°. It has the Bassara 42 in a senior flex but I do have 4 regular flex shafts with the Callaway adapter so that is not a problem. Because of the holiday I won't get it until the end of next week but I am excited to get it. I got it for $258 in very good condition so it was a great deal.
13.5* I can dig that. Love higher lofted drivers. I bet you are going to love this set up.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I snagged a 13.5* for a crazy steal, but can't try it out until spring. Sort of the same thing with the shafts, havving the KK in regular, a Fubuki from the original BB, as well as a Red Tie that will be getting a new tip. Hopefully one of the 3 work out well for me.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that none of the shafts are decent for me, I go get fit, and snag a shaft on ebay.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I snagged a 13.5* for a crazy steal, but can't try it out until spring. Sort of the same thing with the shafts, havving the KK in regular, a Fubuki from the original BB, as well as a Red Tie that will be getting a new tip. Hopefully one of the 3 work out well for me.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that none of the shafts are decent for me, I go get fit, and snag a shaft on ebay.

That is my thought process too buddy, good luck. I plan to be at the range with all of the shafts I have late next week and see what I find. I am excited to see.

DD might not miss another fairway. We need to get together and let our GBBs have a play date.

DD might not miss another fairway. We need to get together and let our GBBs have a play date.

We will soon, are you back home yet, I saw all of your pics having fun with the family over the holidays.

We will soon, are you back home yet, I saw all of your pics having fun with the family over the holidays.

Yessir. Ready to get the GBB back out to the creek and hit some bombs. Will be assisting the GMC prep golf team so I'll be out there a lot this spring. Hoping to get some of the guys on the GBB bandwagon when they see how money it is.

Heck of a buy Randy! I really liked the look, feel and performance of the GBB during the limited swings I have taken with it.

Will my Fubuki Zeta in my 2014 BB Driver fit the 2015 GBB driver ? Think it does but not certain. Had back surgery 12/21, hit the GBB with the Speeder shaft few days before surgery and it performed very well but to close to call a winner between my 2 go to drivers and the GBB. Do not know for sure when can swing a golf club. When the time comes I need to hit the GBB with some other shaft options.

At my age I prefer lightweight shafts and for the most part reg. flex, except in the case of my Miyazaki C Kua 39 ( in that one the stiff feels like a regular to me so stiff is perfect) Never have been very impressed with Bassera but should keep an open mind since it was 2 plus years ago when I tested a driver with a light Bassera shaft.
Any opinions out there on the Bassera 42 and whether or not it plays true to stated flex. Know every swing is different. I like the feel and performance OF THE FUBUKI Zeta 50 reg. flex in my 2014 Bertha driver. If I can come across enough of the shafts for the GBB anywhere from the high 50 gram range or lower one shoud be a perfect match. One thing I know for sure if one of the options was a stiiff C Kua 39 that would be perfect, surely I can find a good fit among the GBB shaft options.

Will my Fubuki Zeta in my 2014 BB Driver fit the 2015 GBB driver ? Think it does but not certain. Had back surgery 12/21, hit the GBB with the Speeder shaft few days before surgery and it performed very well but to close to call a winner between my 2 go to drivers and the GBB. Do not know for sure when can swing a golf club. When the time comes I need to hit the GBB with some other shaft options.

At my age I prefer lightweight shafts and for the most part reg. flex, except in the case of my Miyazaki C Kua 39 ( in that one the stiff feels like a regular to me so stiff is perfect) Never have been very impressed with Bassera but should keep an open mind since it was 2 plus years ago when I tested a driver with a light Bassera shaft.
Any opinions out there on the Bassera 42 and whether or not it plays true to stated flex. Know every swing is different. I like the feel and performance OF THE FUBUKI Zeta 50 reg. flex in my 2014 Bertha driver. If I can come across enough of the shafts for the GBB anywhere from the high 50 gram range or lower one shoud be a perfect match. One thing I know for sure if one of the options was a stiiff C Kua 39 that would be perfect, surely I can find a good fit among the GBB shaft options.

Yes sir, it will.

So I have went to Cally's web cite a couple times now. Amazed that I can't find the exact shaft specs for all the stock shafts offered for the GBB ( raw weight torque etc) Maybe what I am looking for is there, if so it is well hidden. Can't believe Cally would just show charts and shaft categories and overlook including the actual shaft specs, may have to call customer service to see if they can lead me to what I am looking for.

Back