Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Ok so for those who have had these in play, have you had to change the bottom and top of your bags due to distance gains? I didn't have much time with them on course but from what I've seen is I'm about a club longer with them including the set gap wedge. If I were to have these in the bag I would have to add another wedge, probably a 52* to close the gap of set gap wedge and sand wedge
I am going to try to get the range sunday. I will give my feelings on that after I put a bunch of swings on them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ok so for those who have had these in play, have you had to change the bottom and top of your bags due to distance gains? I didn't have much time with them on course but from what I've seen is I'm about a club longer with them including the set gap wedge. If I were to have these in the bag I would have to add another wedge, probably a 52* to close the gap of set gap wedge and sand wedge

I found the bottom end of the bag was where I had to close the gap a little. I found I was overshooting greens more often with these. A little fine tuning with the bottom end of your clubs and you should have a good arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That depends. I play a 54* and a 58*. I noticed no need to alter the degrees in my bag with the C200GW. The GW is the only one I do a full swing on but I've also got a half and quarter swing on that to get me down to my 54* range. If you're going from a 48* to 56* with the extra distance of the C200GW, you might want to consider a 52* or just vary your swing lengths on the GW to achieve the distances in between. It's all how you play your wedges. You might have to tinker a bit.

Not yet but i already uad gaps to hybrid or heavenwood so at full strength it may just help reduce the gap.
My wedge gaps (or lack thereof) are well documented and nothing needs done there

That depends. I play a 54* and a 58*. I noticed no need to alter the degrees in my bag with the C200GW. The GW is the only one I do a full swing on but I've also got a half and quarter swing on that to get me down to my 54* range. If you're going from a 48* to 56* with the extra distance of the C200GW, you might want to consider a 52* or just vary your swing lengths on the GW to achieve the distances in between. It's all how you play your wedges. You might have to tinker a bit.

That's good to know. I'm playing 54* and 58* wedges with my D100s so if I make a move, it'll be nice knowing my current wedge setup (one I'm very comfortable with, BTW) will likely work out.

Are you guys using the GW and PW for various touch shots around the green? If so, how do they react with the Flex tech?

Two things stood out to me when I had the chance to hit them. The long irons are fantastic. Probably the longest irons I've ever hit and still very easy to hit. But I was most surprised at how the FLX on the top line didn't bother me at address. It's noticeable for sure, but not an eye sore to me

I haven't hit them yet, but in hand at at address with Mikedean441's, I didn't notice them. I think it's more of a subtle look in real life than in the up-close photos

Are you guys using the GW and PW for various touch shots around the green? If so, how do they react with the Flex tech?
I utilize the Rule of 12 around the green, so I've gone as high as an 8i around the green and have had no issues. I think the FLX Face really comes into play during the full swing where you generate enough speed to flex the face and compress the ball.

Funny you mention that. That is one thing I love about these clubs. The club head size is well balanced and feels soft around the greens. The PW is my favorite around the greens. The PW gives a great amount of control with a good amount of release.

Used to be that my PW was my 100 yard club, and the GW was 85. Now my GW is my 95-100 yard club. I did strengthen my 54 to a 52, and added a 56, but I don't full swing them. I have needed to work on course management to avoid that 85 yard range because I'm not skilled enough for a 3/4 swing on the GW just yet.

Holy heck, these are not what I anticipated seeing. LOTS of tech in these I can tell from the fantastic first few reviews with photos. I knew they were long from the live event thread but sounds like they are more than just another distance iron.

I look forward to hitting these hopefully in 2016 at some point. Got lots of catching up to do in this thread, busy review thread today!

Outstanding job so far gents.

Holy heck, these are not what I anticipated seeing. LOTS of tech in these I can tell from the fantastic first few reviews with photos. I knew they were long from the live event thread but sounds like they are more than just another distance iron.

I look forward to hitting these hopefully in 2016 at some point. Got lots of catching up to do in this thread, busy review thread today!

Outstanding job so far gents.
You should have looked in Mikes bag at the staff retreat!! Hahaha

You should have looked in Mikes bag at the staff retreat!! Hahaha

Isn't it obvious that we tried to avoid each other? We don't get along. :alien:

Maybe at #TheCup!

That's good to know. I'm playing 54* and 58* wedges with my D100s so if I make a move, it'll be nice knowing my current wedge setup (one I'm very comfortable with, BTW) will likely work out.

Ive used the AW maybe 2 or 3 times (not a shot i specialize in) and i didnt notice the "spring like" feel like you do on full swing shots

Like the other guys from #staffproto mentioned, the GW is great around the greens. I used it for my longer sand shots and it gave me no problems out of the sand. I used it for 10-30 yard pitches when I wanted more of a roll out and it did the trick. Didn't notice a difference from my 50* RTX 2.0
As for the pitching wedge, I use that really only for longer bunker shots and bump/run chips. It worked great. I'm pretty hardcore with my 50*RTX 2.0 and so I wasn't expecting the C200 GW to perform as well as it did. Nice surprise. Now I have to figure out which one stays in the bag. First World Problems.

I recently acquired a 5-9 iron set, with the kbs tour 90s.

my background, I was a 13 handicap 3 years ago, but working 50-60 hour weeks and having a 3 year old at home has limited my play to once a month max, and I have drifted to a 17 cap. But that's okay, I will improve again when I win the lotto ?. My driver ss is about 93-95 mph, so I am not a long hitter.

This year I have played the ap2 714 irons, my trusty r7 tp's, and a set of jdm legacy blacks. I have found the c200's to be the equal of any of these clubs with far superior forgiveness. The face feels as good as any forged club, but you can tell it's a cast club on mis hits. I hit the 5 iron to a 160m par 3 yesterday that can way off the toe. It still ended up 10m from the green. I fund all the others extremely punishing on mis hits.

i am really struggling with the yardage gaps due to inconsistent striking, but hopefully I will get this nailed down pretty quickly. I hit the 9 iron flush from 120 out and ended up in the water 20 m behind the green, which made me laugh ( I hit the downslope over the green and kicked in). All up they are one club longer then my previous clubs. I am going to have to get a 46 degree wedge as the gap between 9 and my 50 is just too much now.

they are one of the best looking irons I have seen, and everyone in my group commented positively about the looks. The offset will take me some time to get use to coming from very little in the other irons, but it isn't obscene like some other Gi irons. I also find the top middle slot gives me a good line up mark.

In all I am really liking these irons and am very glad I have found something that is forgiving but still nice to look at, and I am not ashamed to pull the covers off.

I didn't think of that. Just mentally think of the top slots as alignment marks and use them to frame the ball at address. Brilliant!

Great stuff so far guys. Can't believe I failed to take a swing with these at the staff retreat. Love hearing about the forgiveness low on the face and ability to still get the ball in the air with that miss.

Great stuff so far guys. Can't believe I failed to take a swing with these at the staff retreat. Love hearing about the forgiveness low on the face and ability to still get the ball in the air with that miss.

Honestly for me that's been game changing. During my fitting at #staffproto, the impact tape didn't lie. My hits where centre but low but my ball flight was nice and high. Scary to think about how they will perform if I can get that sorted out this winter.

Honestly for me that's been game changing. During my fitting at #staffproto, the impact tape didn't lie. My hits where centre but low but my ball flight was nice and high. Scary to think about how they will perform if I can get that sorted out this winter.

You enthusiasm for these sticks is infectious. I could certainly see myself gaming a set. I may have missed it but how is the offset compared to some previous sets you have played?

Are any of the #staffproto guys lefties? I'm thinking a #callout is in order if yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Are any of the #staffproto guys lefties? I'm thinking a #callout is in order if yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CMedina is a southpaw. You'll have to go up to NE to take him on though.

ETA: Don't let him talk you into a match at TopGolf. Dude was on fire there in Chi-town.

You enthusiasm for these sticks is infectious. I could certainly see myself gaming a set. I may have missed it but how is the offset compared to some previous sets you have played?

A little less and initially I was wondering how I would fair with that. Then I hit my first few balls and I've never really thought about it again until the write up.
You're absolutely correct. I am very enthusiastic about these clubs because I feel that they'd be fantastic for so many guys here on THP.
For me, the C200's are really a perfect mix of forgiveness and distance combined with the sweetest feel and sound and the look of a better player iron. And I mean it. It's not some company line but my personal experience with them in the last few months. I'm like most of the other guys on here. A Dad with a job, trying to balance family, career and getting better at the game I'm obsessed with limited free time.

This is my primary miss and I'm glad that MR441 has fully evaluated the capabilities of #GenFLX in this area.:act-up:

All kidding aside, it sounds like W/S has taken an already great iron, the C100, and drastically improved it. I probably won't have an opportunity to demo the C200s until our local demo weekend in March. Though that will give me time to unload one of the five sets of clubs my wife knows about...

For me, the C200's are really a perfect mix of forgiveness and distance combined with the sweetest feel and sound and the look of a better player iron. And I mean it. It's not some company line but my personal experience with them in the last few months. I'm like most of the other guys on here. A Dad with a job, trying to balance family, career and getting better at the game I'm obsessed with limited free time.

That is me to a T. I usually have more time at the range than the course due to work and my kids' schedules, I've been able to take a few lessons and I've learned that there's no substitute for a sound swing. But that being said, these clubs sound like a true game improvement iron for golfers like me.

This is my primary miss and I'm glad that MR441 has fully evaluated the capabilities of #GenFLX in this area.:act-up:

All kidding aside, it sounds like W/S has taken an already great iron, the C100, and drastically improved it. I probably won't have an opportunity to demo the C200s until our local demo weekend in March. Though that will give me time to unload one of the five sets of clubs my wife knows about...

Dude, that is one of the funniest things I've read on THP. The wife thing...

One of my favourite memories of #staffproto was watching mikedean441 (who was not golfing that day) casually throw a ball on the fairway from about 130 yards (441 you can correct the distance if you remember it), grab his C200 and launch a dart to about 3 feet. Then we walks away like #AintNoBigDeal.

Really outstanding information guys. I'm very intrigued by these irons. I've played Wilson irons previously and really enjoyed them. I wasn't planning on irons this year but these could change my mind. Besides, who doesn't need a new set of irons?

Back