PING Glide Forged Wedges Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review Dan! Sounds like a really solid wedge. Unfortunately, I think the price point holding a $40-60 premium over close competitors may be a problem for some. That said, it's a gorgeous wedge! The milling and craftsmanship stand out and it sounds like the spin performance is strong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great review!! Beautiful wedges and quality coming from Ping.

One of the unique factors of Ping's designs , for irons and wedges, is the company's ability to add or subtract head weight.
This new forged wedge appears to be a solid head, so I guess adding head weight would come from lead tape, and subtracting head weight would come from grinding away material.
Or, it could be "like the old days" where Ping has an inventory of different head weights and selects the appropriate one to fulfill a custom swing weight order.

Great stuff Dan! I love hearing about the high spin numbers but not sure that extra price tag would be worth it for me personally. It's nice to see that Ping has a really good option on the market though.

Thanks, Dan, excellent review. I usually like a rolled leading edge as sharp ones tend to dig - need to look at it.

As to the price point, it is an attractive head, not as bulky as an SM7, as an example, and if you customize a Vokey, it gets up to $200 fairly quickly. And if a wedge-works (sorry Bob), it's worth the extra money.

Currently playing the Glide 2.0 Stealth and they are excellent in 8620 Carbon with aggressive grinding. Can see the 60 Forged on links or very firm courses as it has less bounce, or courses where the greens are hard, fast and crowned and we need extra bite.

Great review, Dan. Thank you for this.

I am soooo intrigued by these and you are making it even harder.

Great review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind of thought there might be more conversation in here post review, esp after some THPers got to spend some time at PING.

kind of thought there might be more conversation in here post review, esp after some THPers got to spend some time at PING.

I think the price point has scared off some but I hit these and they felt really damn good. If I was looking at other wedges in this price area, I'd definitely go with the Pings instead. Great feeling wedge and yes it just glides through the turf effortlessly.

I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning, I never got my butt in here to give any thoughts!

These were the first clubs that I had in hand at Ping's driving range. They had staff bags full of them to test out and I was immediately in love with the looks. Not only does the milling on the back of the head look fantastic, but they also had the different graphics options displayed on several of the clubs. These are definitely some of the best looking wedges on the market.

When I started taking swings I was immediately comfortable hitting full swings with them, they were very easy to hit. They seemed a little lighter than what I am used to playing with my RTX 3 but these were easy to hit with full swings. I had a 52* in hand and didn't dry opening it up much but it was pretty easy to flight for different shots. I was really impressed by how easy they were to hit. Unfortunately there wasn't really any way to tell what kind of spin I was seeing at the time so I can't speak to that aspect.

Here's where I was let down, the feel. Maybe it was me having high expectations but I thought the feel was a letdown. I was expecting a nice soft, plush feel but instead thought they felt clicky. The feel kind of reminded me of hitting the i500's and could go together very well with that set. Everyone has their own preference and for me it's a softer feel and these unfortunately didn't hit the sweet spot.

My takeaway is that they are stunning looking wedges and I'm sure they perform on the course for those that gravitate toward the kind of feel they provide.

It's 8620 steel - so it will be softer than stainless, but it's not 1025.

The Milling on the back of these wedges make them look superb. I like the way most companies are trending in the looks Department. I think ping with thier i-210 i500 and the Glide Ford wedges have a solid looking set up. The MD4 wedges especially that new tactical is a nice looking wedge as well. But the Milling on on the back of these are unique and the definitely stand out. But a $200/eat price tag...ouch!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Price may be an ouch, but I ordered an SM7 with a Nippon Shaft during the summer - at a discount, it was $179. Plus who can place a price on a wedge that works for you? Especially a high lofted wedge - well, my price point is $250 - Miura, when I played them. But no one says you've got to buy the whole set - the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth are great and both from 8620 steel, but if you need a specialty LW for links style or very firm conditions or soft greens and you can come in shallow, I see use of the Glide Forged LW.

Tomorrow hitting the home page, we will be giving one of these wedges away.

I was the lucky winner of the homepage wedge and while the season is winding down here in Michigan I was able to take it out for a test this past weekend.

Initial impression- The wedge is gorgeous and the detailed milling really makes it a stunning wedge. The size does look more compact, but when I compared it face to face with my Wilson wedge it looked the same. However the sole and back of the wedge was much thinner after I really started to compare. Looked good and felt good in-hand.

Playability- I mostly used it to replace my 60 around the green. While I am not one that typically can stop the ball on a dime or zip it back, I could definitely tell that the ball bit more when chipping onto the green. I typically have to play shorter to let the ball run out and definitely needed to carry a little bit further to accommodate the added spin from the wheel cut grooves. I didn't get a chance to play many full swing shots with it, but the couple that I did were high and landed soft with some zip back on them. Again I don't typically have a lot of backspin so it was a little surprising.

Feel- Shots I took felt great with a nice response off the clubface. Would have no issue playing this from any lie.

Hoping to get some nice weather to play a couple more times with before year end, but have to say I am impressed with the limited sample size of shots I've taken. Now that this has taken place in my bag, may need to match my 60 to it after some further testing.

Thats awesome. Glad you like the prize.

Back