Did you achieve your 2018 Golf Goals?

I don't remember exactly what I put as my goal HDCP (guess I wasn't real good at tracking my progress!), but I will say that I have met some of my goals because I have improved. Broke 14, down to a 13.0 at one point (personal best), and back to 13.2 currently. My driving, iron play, wedge play, and putting have all improved, as has my game management.

I think next year the goal has to be breaking 10.

My goal was a handicap number, I haven't reached it yet, but the year isn't over and I'm trending down so we'll see what happens.

I'm sure I included THP events in my goals, that's happening this month and in November as well.

Love this game, and THP...

From a golf perspective I am 3/4 towards achieving my goals. Got a hole in one (5th), an eagle and my handicap has dropped over 2 strokes. Only one left is to shoot sub par round, been close but can’t get away from a couple of bad holes that cause the miss. Still have another month of golf left so there’s still hope.

On another related note, was very fortunate to play in the 2018 Morgan Cup that was a dream come true. Can’t say was a goal but a lifetime highlight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still have quite a bit of golf left here but here are my goals as they stand today.

1. Break 100 consistantly
-- Floating on the threshold constantly, broken once, but on the verge of more consistancy.
2. Improve on my ball striking
-- Compression is starting to get better, hitting the ball more solid, still room for improvement
3. Improve my short game around the green
-- My short game at the beginning of the year was terrible, no confidence with my wedges at all. Still have the occasional blade but most are solid contact
4. Lower my putts per hole average
-- Began the year at an average of 37 putts per round, have been trending at 33 the last 5 rounds

Going forward I really need to work on consistant iron play so I can know my distances better. Leaving a lot of opportunities short these days which is causing a lot of the trouble still for me. But all in all 2018 has been good for me, been playing nearly twice a week all summer and have ditched the cart for walking which has made me enjoy the game so much more. Looking forward to 2019

Not yet, but there is still time on the clock to get to a single digit index.

No I did not.

probably my shortest post ever. But thse 9 letters actually speak pages of word text.

Last edited:
I don't know if I set any concrete playing goals, but if I did, I'm sure that I didn't meet them so we'll go with these (my best legitimate chance to break 80 for the rest of the year is probably on Thursday so cross your fingers):

-Caused two frost delays in Florida
-Made it to Augusta and shocked the pants off my dad, step-brother, and cousin when we walked onto the Callaway tour truck - I saw RFC again and introduced myself to Sean, Harry, and Chip (it helped that I was going to see Sean in a month where I...
-Met a bunch of awesome THPers and Odyssey guys
-Played on the RGV Tour for a day
-Checking three new states off the list in the next two months (TX, TN, KY) to make 25/50

Only goal I had was to break 80,which I did one time, so yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No I did not. Golf this year wasn't fun.

Not even close. Didn’t even play 1/3 as many times as I had hoped either.

We are definitely not near the end of the golf season in Texas, but I can play along, as I have achieved my one goal for the year. My handicap was in the 17s at the beginning of the year, and went up as high as 19 during a spring slump. My goal for the year was 15. After a recent hot streak, it currently stands at 14.1. :)

Interestingly, also in Austin, Texas and had a similar goal of 15 Handicap. Had taken off years from playing other than an occasional round, decided in April to recommit to playing. Handicap was a 21.3 on May 1st and I wasn't even playing to that but as of today Handicap is a 12.1. Mission Accomplished. Just started some lessons with a pro two weeks ago to fine tune a couple of areas...mostly chipping...and driver. He thinks single digits should be the goal for next season. At 50 I'm already playing the best golf of my life. I'll continue with the plan and sees where it takes me, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy playing just where I am with enough good holes to make each round enjoyable.

I didn't really have any other than to improve.

I've taken a giant step back this year in that regard. Implemented a swing change over the winter. I realized as I got older and bled swing speed my HIGH fade wasn't going to go anywhere so wanted to get ahead of the game. It's only resulted in even more massive inconsistencies and frustration. To top it off I don't even remember how to swing my old swing correctly. My new swing produces one of three things, in about equal quantities. A beautiful tight draw going where I want it to, a pull hook that goes way left, or a block that goes way right.

There have been a couple positives to come out of this year. My oldest boy has improved greatly and his swing change has taken. He still is very inconsistent as far as solid contact but he no longer slices the ball 80 yards every shot. My middle son is a very good player. He's a young 13 years old and he's consistently around 80 on full length courses. He'll hit high school golf next fall and judging from the makeup of their team this year he'll immediately be the one or two. Once he hits his growth spurt and hits the ball reasonably far he's going to be very good. If... he doesn't get all gangly and lose coordination.

Other than one round where some idjit charged after me when I was with my kids and I subsequently lost my cool, I've had one heckuva a good time golfing with my dad, kids, and friends. So that's what matters the most to me. In that regard I've more than accomplished my golfing goals this season.

I played more golf this year then last year.

Broke 80 twice.

Have not played in a THP event yet but got something in the works for December.

Nope. I wanted to start playing a draw, but I had too many pull hooks. Going back to my straight shot with a fade being my miss.

Unfortunately I didn't, but my main golf goals are more long term in nature so I'm confident I'll achieve them. Fortunately for me, I can play golf year round so I have plenty of time to stay on the grind!

Yep. After starting playing again last year after pretty much 20 years of not doing, I got down from averaging over 110 to mid eighties by the end of 2017. For 2018 I wanted to shoot a round in the 70s, which I accomplished and even shot three consecutive 78,74,79 in July. Not played much since as August is the busiest month of the year for my business, so will pick it up again this week with the aim of consistent 70s by the end of the year.

No I did not, but the year is not over.

After not playing for 17 years and encouragement from my wife I was to purchase a set of clubs and begin practicing/playing.
Has not happened yet. Maybe the fact that we moved 600+ miles south to a new state and know no one.

My #1 goal was to enjoy playing the game and I have really enjoyed it more this year than any other year that I ever played the game. The main reason it was so enjoyable this year was because I put together a brand new four some, and we really hit it off. My four some is made up of 1 player I played with last year and two other men that I didn't even know previous to this golf season. But we all really enjoy our weekly golf rounds together which we play at various courses in non-competitive play. I may not be playing better this year, but I'm having more fun than ever before sucking at the game.

kind of a crazy year. Did a year long lesson package going once a week. Told him my goals and got to work. Definitely got worse before getting better was up to 7 for a little bit but trending at a 4.8 with a lot of higher rounds to come off. Still improving which is awesome. Glad I did it and stuck to it. Hoping to get into the 2’s next year and break 70 for the first time.

I have a few more months to make it hopefully. Some of my goals were dependent on things happening at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main goal of playing a regulation 18 hole round at least once a month didn’t happen. But I did play plenty of 9 hole rounds so it sort of evened out.

In 2019 I will try it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not nor will it stop me from making more lofty ones next year

My goal is always to play more than the previous year, and unless I play virtually every day between now and Dec. 31 I will fail miserably.

Pretty much. A recent move adjusted my main goals for this year to more or less playing as much golf as I could. Moving across the country took its toll on my family. I’m not their favorite person after making them leave Hawaii. I still managed to get out enough for me to be happy but not so much that it got on my wife’s nerves.

I got to golf with my son quite a bit. I coached his PGA Jr. League team and got to see home shoot -5 over 9 holes. I came close to beating him a few times going out on our own, too. One of my goals was to spend time with him on the course. Mission accomplished.

The performance related goals took a back seat this year. I dropped my handicap back down to a 15.0 from a 15.9. I’m beginning to putt better. At least before today. I’m still not scoring as well as I’d like, but I’ve also made a few swing changes that I’m still adjusting to. At least now my swing relies much less on timing which should allow me to score better once I adjust my aim.

I have not. Financially just haven't been able to play as much as I had hoped. Next year should put me back in a better place that hopefully I can get back on track. Still going to try to get some rounds in though the rest of this year.

Back