Do you play well in charity outings?

Yes and no, when I’m the lowest handicapper I don’t play as well but when I’m just along for the ride I usually play pretty well. I will say my game doesn’t translate to scrambles very well, I’m a scrambler, I don’t hit a ton of GIR but get up and down a bunch.

Playing in one this weekend for my friend that was killed 3 years ago in a wreck. I tried to get a couple of friends that used to all play with him, and was told they "needed someone better, because we want to win it for him". :bad: So, I picked up a different group and got dropped today for another bogus excuse, but in reality it was the win factor. Starting to take it personal... I think some people are too big headed to just play for fun, as honestly the prizes aren't great. Sometimes we all get wrapped up in winning, and we need to remember why we're playing. I guess I'm not competitive enough truthfully. If I play my game, and don't hit ridiculous stuff I don't care if I win or lose.

Do you play well in charity outings?

I played in just my 2nd charity outing this year as I have tried to cut back on them unless they are for a good cause. Being a single digit golfer unless I'm playing with other single digits I typically am the last to hit because for the most part at the very least I can give us a ball in play...most of the time haha. Now that being said I find that I don't normally play very well in these things. Maybe its trying too hard for the hero shot or maybe its swinging out of your shoes to hit it farther than the last guy I don't know.

Sure I hit a few good shots here and there, maybe make a putt or 2 but for some reason overall I don't play well, how about you?

Played in one today - I’m 50/50

I usually hit last and in a scramble I’m never playing my normal game, whic is generally where I excel and works for me

Today - when a teammate was in play i took driver even if I normally would not

Also there were a couple of times where i was over aggressive when i normally wouldn’t have been and it didn’t work out.

I did dominate the par 3s though

Had some clutch putts and chip shots

Could I have played better? Yes, did I put us in a position to score more often than not? I feel like I did but not to what I should have done

Yep, I thrive in that environment for some reason, so I get asked to play in them a lot. I'm a great scramble partner.

You can be my wing man anytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing in one this weekend for my friend that was killed 3 years ago in a wreck. I tried to get a couple of friends that used to all play with him, and was told they "needed someone better, because we want to win it for him". :bad: So, I picked up a different group and got dropped today for another bogus excuse, but in reality it was the win factor. Starting to take it personal... I think some people are too big headed to just play for fun, as honestly the prizes aren't great. Sometimes we all get wrapped up in winning, and we need to remember why we're playing. I guess I'm not competitive enough truthfully. If I play my game, and don't hit ridiculous stuff I don't care if I win or lose.

Sorry to hear of your friend. It's also really shi... crappy of your group to do that. Who really cares about winning them anyways? It's rare that an honest team is going to be the winners anyways.

As to the question, I find I'm one helluva a putter when I get three looks at it. Reading greens? Boy do I suck at that part of the game. When my kids first took up the game we'd play a lot of three man scramble when we played both for pace and so they wouldn't get discouraged. It's no fun shooting a 150 but when you can be part of a team that goes under par, I think it was good for their psyche. Plus it showed them the kind of shots they needed to hit to score. It also was a good view into course management because if they failed to get one safely in play I'd play to try to make par our worst score, i.e. I hit a lot of 4i from the tee.

Our very first round on a big course playing this way we eagled the first par 5. Played my drive, my second, then my then 10 year old pitched in. He talked about his eagle the rest of the year. It was exciting for them when they contributed.

I usually hit last when I'm playing in a scramble so if there's a ball in play I can really crank it from the tee. I wouldn't say I play any better or any worse than normal, but I do tend to both lose more balls and hit more spectacular shots. Total different mindset going into a round.

I played in just my 2nd charity outing this year as I have tried to cut back on them unless they are for a good cause. Being a single digit golfer unless I'm playing with other single digits I typically am the last to hit because for the most part at the very least I can give us a ball in play...most of the time haha. Now that being said I find that I don't normally play very well in these things. Maybe its trying too hard for the hero shot or maybe its swinging out of your shoes to hit it farther than the last guy I don't know.

Sure I hit a few good shots here and there, maybe make a putt or 2 but for some reason overall I don't play well, how about you?

I play in about a dozen or so a year through work. Infact, I'm playing on one on Friday for YMCA. And no, I don't play well in them. Even with how bad my game has been lately, they still make me go last! lol

For the most part, the winner of those scrambles doesn't have much to do with how well you play, and more to do with how sharp your pencil is. Since we're not willing to stoop to the level of some people out there, we just go out to have fun and support the cause.

Talk about witnessing blatant cheating Jeremy... A couple years ago I played in one for the local Chamber of Commerce. The group in front of us was completely wasted before we even got started. I can count one hand how many fairways they hit all day between all of them. When they announced the winning score, which was -20, those same 4 guys came up the accept their first place prize. They were literally 4 30+hcp guys who were almost too drunk to stand up, and they turned in a scorecard at -20, on a tough private track. We all just kind of laughed and made some comments about the all mighty pencil. It was even funnier that their prize for winning was more booze.

I play in several throughout the year. I run one to pay for my band students to attend band camp, so I try to play as many as I can to help recruit players for that tournament. They're really all we have in terms of competitive golf, anyways.

I typically play well in them. My role in my normal groups is to carry the weight 50 yards and in, as well as being the anchor putter. I'm not consistent enough off the tee to carry a team, so I just swing my hardest with the driver everywhere but the par 3s. Every couple of holes my gamble pays off. This past weekend I'm really proud of some of the wedges and putts that I made, I'm excited to play solo again with those kinds of shots in my recent memory.

Most of the charity outings I have played were scramble events. So hard to gauge because maybe I just remember the few good shots I had that counted, but I would say I tend to play more relaxed because I'm not too worried about how it all turns out in the end.

Sorry to hear of your friend. It's also really shi... crappy of your group to do that. Who really cares about winning them anyways? It's rare that an honest team is going to be the winners anyways.

Thanks, it's no surprise given how their competitive minds are. The friend that wanted to win it all is hyper-competitive. I've grown up with him played baseball, adult softball, golf, etc. with him and he was always the kid that would cry if he lost. He was with me when I hit my one and only ace and it honest to god ruined the rest of his day. He was so mad that I who is a lesser golfer in his mind beat him to it, he shanked three balls in the woods and refused to get out of the cart the next 3 holes!!

I used to play in a lot of these (5-6 per year), but now avoid them and sometimes just write the charity a check for $100 and not play. I don't mind the loose rules and cheating that always happens, even don't mind watching the bad golf my teammates usually play while they lean on me as the ringer. My main issue is that my "normal" game seems to always get thrown off and it takes me a round or 2 after the charity event to get back to playing decent golf.

Also, I don't like the awkward strategy conversations with teammates when trying to decide which ball to play when we have a decision to make. Others always assume we need to play the ball that is closer to the hole, regardless of whether we are short sided, have a bad angle or tough slope/break to manage. Give me a straight 30 yard pitch with plenty of green to work with any day over a 10 foot flop shot to a tucked pin. Give me a 125 yard full wedge from the fairway any day over a 70 yard half wedge from the rough. Don't even get me started on deciding if we should play from a bunker or not. Those kinds of things. Of course, if I manage to sway them my way and then we don't pull off the shot I'm the idiot....

I usually play well because I don't feel the pressure to play. It's a "whatever day" and I'm usually really relaxed. Wish I could use that feeling during the charity shooting matches I do.

Meh... I avoid them. Usually ends up being a 6 hour round that ends with the best cheaters taking home the gold. I’d rather just make a donation.

I play 4-5 a year they benefit either CHP, local schools, or hospitals. I enjoy them as it usually the same group I golf with so we enjoy ourselves, play as best we can and have several side bets going. At the end of the day its golf and fundraising. All good

I usually play much better than normal during outings. The strength of my game is definitely tee to green, and I think I play even more confidently knowing that if I miss the odd one someone else could step up. My short game is terrible, and luckily that's concealed for the most part in scrambles, haha. I just try to get us on the green, and hope that one of the three other players makes a putt.

I think good players that rely on their short games are in the opposite category - because especially if they're the ringer, there's more pressure on the long game, and you don't benefit from getting up and down in a format where you have to make birdies.

Not sure I can barely remember the day by the 18th hole.

Overall, I think I play pretty well in charity scramble type events but, to be honest I'm just trying to have a good time and not take the golf too seriously.

Just played in a corporate/charity event earlier this month. In our foursome, we had one novice golfer, an older (than me) fellow that was good but not super long, myself and another who are probably pretty comparable. So, off the tee, if there was a risk/reward hole, the last two of us usually went last so the older fellow could try to give us a "good" ball and then we could try the risk/reward. Those shots can be great or terrible but not necessarily gambles that I would normally take so it's hard to evaluate them.

There were some pretty good prizes on the par 3's for HIO (two for cars - and two for 7 day trips to Scotland for 2) but, while the tees were generally from the whites, the par 3's were set from the tips (170 / 200 / 210 / 225). Felt pretty good that I was on the green on all 4 (longest away 30') and on the last par 3 (210) got to 5'. The 200 yarder was tough as it was 185 carry over water/wall. Hit 4 hybrid pin high 20' right with a rocket that felt great - particularly since I hadn't golfed for a month due to a sore wrist/elbow.

Back